Ability to customize title order in collections

daveru79

miniliQuid

How would manually-sorted collections differ from playlists though?

I've got a few playlists of The Prisoner episodes, each in their various recommended orders. Works for me.

Well if I am correct, collections are server wide?

Playlists are personal for each account I think?

For example I will create a collection of all Marvel movies, a Marvel collection, and for DC the same, just so my users have all those movies belonging together (sort of) in a collection.

This because I know some might wanna watch them, but do not know of every Marvel movie released, same for DC.

Also, collections are already in there anyway so being able to adjust some things and organize them a little better, will keep me from making a playlist (even if it is for every user), which keeps the look a little cleaner as well.

Instead of having things spread out in movies, collections and playlists, its just movies and collections, making it just a tad bit easier for the less tech savvy people on my server (Mom, Dad, Kids)

• 2 months later...
joshhuggins

Has anything changed on this? I was hoping to be able to set a custom watch order for a series that aired out of chronological order using a collection. Really don't want to have to create and manage a separate playlist for each user for each of these types of scenarios. Anyone find any workarounds?

• 4 months later...
miniliQuid

Shouldn't this be easily done by giving collections the same properties/parameters as a playlist, except for it being still server wide rather than user related.

Or is it not as easy as that? Cause putting the collections in order manually once (those that need it) shouldn't be too much of a hassle when it is server wide once finished.

A playlist is better suited for this I think, since it already has the feature. Only thing missing is being able to present the playlist differently, like a poster view for example.

A playlist is better suited for this I think, since it already has the feature. Only thing missing is being able to present the playlist differently, like a poster view for example.

Well, it is also missing the "collapse" functionality in the views...

miniliQuid

Wouldn't a playlist be account specific?

This would mean every account has to do this either themselves, or server admin has to do it for every single account on the server.

Where as making the collection makes it available to watch for every account.

Would be kind of solved if the server admin has the option to create a playlist and make it visible server wide somehow?

That way a star wars or marvel playlist could be made and the option for serverwide availability could be ticked (or something), problem solved :D

Edited by miniliQuid
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
vdatanet

+1 for manual sort order for collections

I'm creating the Infinity Saga Collection and I want to sort the movies as I want. 

At the moment my solution is to use playlists, but I prefer to use only collections.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

There's no update right now other than to say that more control over this is planned for future updates. thanks.

• Like 1

bozrdnag

I would also love to see this!

I was trying to create a Conjuring Universe collection that would include all the Conjuring and Annabelle movies along with the Curse of LaLlarona and was bummed to find I can't arrange them in a custom order.  Neither release date or Alphabetical would be anywhere close to chronological order. I don't want to use a sort name because I still want them alphabetical in the main movies view.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
12 hours ago, Cortexian said:

Hi @Luke any idea when this is scheduled? Would love the ability to customize the order of collections.

Hi, no ETA but it's a good idea for future updates. Thanks.

miniliQuid

Also what updates are expected?
Only re-ordering collections or will playlists also get some options?
Like being visible just for yourself, or at least being able to lock them so they cannot be changed?

Cause I would definitely be interested in such options, as currently anyone can mess with those things.

On 11/21/2021 at 10:43 AM, miniliQuid said:

Also what updates are expected?
Only re-ordering collections or will playlists also get some options?
Like being visible just for yourself, or at least being able to lock them so they cannot be changed?

Cause I would definitely be interested in such options, as currently anyone can mess with those things.

Ordering collections as well as playlist permissions. Both of those.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
Meijinhada

+1, I could sort with .nfo tags in MrMC for my Star Wars and MCU movies, but I guess I can't in Emby.  And it would definitely be preferable to be able to sort in collections.  Adding a "sort number" or something similar we can edit in metadata for each movie in a collection would be nice.

• 2 months later...
staylor38
On 08/10/2018 at 00:47, Happy2Play said:

Isn't that list just a list of movies by Release Date?

You need a drag and drop order for Custom Collections.  Since you don't use "Group items into collections" the sortname moves the items from there default location.

TXK57

I would like at a +1 for this feature as well.

Have the ability to choose per collection how you would like to sort is something that would be a great addition. Either by title, release date, or custom.

Plex currently has this option. Some people have built an awesome script "Plex Meta Manager" to build collections based off of dynamic lists, or tmdb, imdb, trakt lists. It would be nice to pull this into Emby as well but we will need to have the manual sort option within collections.

Edited by TKX57
named the script wrong

• 2 weeks later...
iloveparks

+1 - this is definitely needed.

I am working on adapting Plex-Meta-Manager for Emby and such limited sorting options for collections is such a bummer.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Adding it again, having manual sort would be fantastic!

I'm going to add to this, having a way of displaying a collection on the home screen? Say you had a trending movie collection built off imdb, tmdb, trakt of popular movies and/or shows. Having a random sort option with this collection then be able to have this as a strip on the home screen would be fantastic. Also if you had timed collections for hollidays and being able to display these on the home screen would be great.

Edited by TKX57
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1