Multiple Live TV Tuners, double channels

manolodf

pir8radio

Does your provider not allow 10 streams on the 1 account then?

No, that’s why I’m stuck.

pir8radio

I would echo @@cayars and suggest using npvr or mediaportal, aggregate them there and then use the functionality discussed recently to get an m3u from that into emby

yea...  I love how emby works on its own lol...  I'm just hoping to get this scenario covered in emby...  I don't want to deal with another server software...  If I cant get it to work, I'll just go down to 5 tuners...  but it would be nice to have this function, then I dont ever have to worry about running out of tuners... 

MSattler

Check out xTeVe.  It presents m3u's as a HDHomerun tuner to Plex or Emby.  You would probably need to run 2 instances of xTeVe, one for each account, and then let Emby combine them as it does a HD Homerun tuner.

https://xteve.de/

If you need to jump in the Discord, the developer is actually really helpful!

• Like 4

EODCrafter

yea...  I love how emby works on its own lol...  I'm just hoping to get this scenario covered in emby...  I don't want to deal with another server software...  If I cant get it to work, I'll just go down to 5 tuners...  but it would be nice to have this function, then I dont ever have to worry about running out of tuners... 

Why not just 2 Emby Servers? Did I miss that suggestion already? It might be a temp fix. Emby is pretty light-weight.

I was coming back to this thread to mention exactly what @@MSattler just recommended.  Xteve has been getting good marks from Plex users for getting IPTV into plex as they have no internal method (unlike Emby) to handle IPTV at all.

You could setup two instances of xteve (separate ports on same computer) or same port on two different computers each with your IPTV listing setup.

Emby will then see these two xteve instances as "HDHomeRuns and should do it's normal "combining magic" just like it would real HDHomeRuns.

Xtieve is basically an HDHomeRun emulator.

This should be your cleanest approach right now and definitely worth trying.

Why not just 2 Emby Servers? Did I miss that suggestion already? It might be a temp fix. Emby is pretty light-weight.

That would be doable but would make scheduling a real pain in the butt. :)

EODCrafter

How can you bypass these requirements for Xteve?

• Plex Media Server (1.11.1.4730 or newer)
  • Plex Client with DVR support
  • Plex Pass
  • M3U list from your provider

Does Emby "just work" with this? I want to test this....

Edited by EODCrafter

pir8radio

How can you bypass these requirements for Xteve?

• Plex Media Server (1.11.1.4730 or newer)
  • Plex Client with DVR support
  • Plex Pass
  • M3U list from your provider

Does Emby "just work" with this? I want to test this....

I just tried it, and emby sees no channels for me.  plus it doesn't seem to handle the multiple accounts as expected...   Darn...

Edited by pir8radio

EODCrafter

I just tried it, and emby sees no channels for me.  plus it doesn't seem to handle the multiple accounts as expected...   Darn...

Same Here....I think it reads them all as DRM.

MSattler

Same Here....I think it reads them all as DRM.

Odd, I tried this a while back and it worked, it just saw xTeVe as a HD Homerun tuner.  I'll try and set this up on my test box again.    But I did have xTeVe running with Emby.

Pir8te, did you make sure to map the channels?  There is that feature, you can map the channels to the epg.

Thanks,

Marcus

Version 1.1.1 of sTeVe is not yet compatible with Emby.

@@Luke has given me helpful information about the Emby HDHomeRun integration so xTeVe will be available for Emby in the next release.

The xTeVe mapping and the XEPG file are completely taken over by Emby.

There are only 2 steps to use xTeVe as a proxy for Emby.

1. Set up HDHomeRun tuner with the DVR IP:Port of xTeVe

2. Add XMLTV file with the XEPG URL.

post-368909-0-58452400-1539895166_thumb.png

post-368909-0-74203300-1539896002_thumb.png

Edited by marmei
  • Like 6

pir8radio

@@Luke has given me helpful information about the Emby HDHomeRun integration so xTeVe will be available for Emby in the next release.

1. Set up HDHomeRun tuner with the DVR IP of xTeVe

But it still can not account for my situation correct?   I have two m3u files each with the same channels but different user accounts, each one is good for 5 streams only.  once all 5 are used up on m3u #1 how will emby know to start using m3u #2?  I still think emby needs to bake the feature into the server to combine multiple tuners as one source.  If xTeVe could allow me to set up multiple hdhomerun tuners each referencing 1 m3u to one hdhomrun, and set stream limits per m3u then emby can combine these two 5 tuner hdhomruns and it would work for me.  @@ebr but i dont know if emby can deal with a hdhomrun tuner that has 5 tuners?       

xTeVe support for multiple hdhomerun outputs would be great!

Edited by pir8radio

EODCrafter

But it still can not account for my situation correct?   I have two m3u files each with the same channels but different user accounts, each one is good for 5 streams only.  once all 5 are used up on m3u #1 how will emby know to start using m3u #2?  I still think emby needs to bake the feature into the server to combine multiple tuners as one source.  If xTeVe could allow me to set up multiple hdhomerun tuners each referencing 1 m3u to one hdhomrun, and set stream limits per m3u then emby can combine these two 5 tuner hdhomruns and it would work for me.  @@ebr but i dont know if emby can deal with a hdhomrun tuner that has 5 tuners?       

Again, Could't you run 2 Xteve's since they are super light weight on different ports? Ohhh..I C, there's no intelligence to switch receivers....got it.

Edited by EODCrafter

pir8radio

Again, Could't you run 2 Xteve's since they are super light weight on different ports? Ohhh..I C, there's no intelligence to switch receivers....got it.

No you are correct, i guess technically i could run two. and emby would supply the intelligence.   But i would need a way for emby to know there are 5 streams on each hdhomrun.   its just so messy lol...   i dont know...   I'll probably do the two xTeVe thing until emby figures it out, but i still dont know if emby will know what to do with an hdhomrun that has 5 tuners.  so none of this may work for me..  boo...  :-)

EODCrafter

No you are correct, i guess technically i could run two. and emby would supply the intelligence.   But i would need a way for emby to know there are 5 streams on each hdhomrun.   its just so messy lol...   i dont know...   I'll probably do the two xTeVe thing until emby figures it out, but i still dont know if emby will know what to do with an hdhomrun that has 5 tuners.  so none of this may work for me..  boo...  :-)

If I could take some load off Emby with the IPTV m3u and EPG and put it on XTeVe, it might improve mine...I can't wait till it works! This also brings immediate support for Channel Groups, something we have been waiting on from Luke for years :)

Edited by EODCrafter
  • Like 1

But it still can not account for my situation correct? I have two m3u files each with the same channels but different user accounts, each one is good for 5 streams only. once all 5 are used up on m3u #1 how will emby know to start using m3u #2? I still think emby needs to bake the feature into the server to combine multiple tuners as one source. If xTeVe could allow me to set up multiple hdhomerun tuners each referencing 1 m3u to one hdhomrun, and set stream limits per m3u then emby can combine these two 5 tuner hdhomruns and it would work for me. @@ebr but i dont know if emby can deal with a hdhomrun tuner that has 5 tuners?

Under FreeBSD I can start xTeVe with specification of the home directories for the user of several instances of xTeVe. Only the port must be different for each instance.

In the Discord channel #faq is my FreeBSD autostart script there is the home folder specified under the xTeVe stores the settings. Maybe it will also help you with your configuration.

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Under FreeBSD I can start xTeVe with specification of the home directories for the user of several instances of xTeVe. Only the port must be different for each instance.

In the Discord channel #faq is my FreeBSD autostart script there is the home folder specified under the xTeVe stores the settings. Maybe it will also help you with your configuration.

Your Ubuntu Script works Perfectly as Well! Well Crap, just got off work.....USA....Xteve/@@marmei must be in UK cause no one answers on Discord. +5 Hours.....

Edited by EODCrafter

1. Set up HDHomeRun tuner with the DVR IP of xTeVe

Have you thought about making it a generic HDHomeRun emulator so it could be used by other software as well such as Live Channels?  Basically anything looking for an HDHomeRun (maybe even work with SD's own software as well)?

Off topic:

Finally I can make a direct comparison in transcoding performance, for the startup times loading encrypted DVB-C channels on the Apple TV 4K when I feed my DVBLink/TVMosaic DVB-C m3u to Emby and PLEX (with xTeVe).

What a huge difference (in big favour of PLEX) in start up times when loading a DVB-C channel and what a nice surprise to see the grid guide on the Apple TV 4K with PLEX.

I know, the Emby tvOS app is getting an MPV overhaul , but until that is final, xTeVe is a welcome companion to see how other packages perform (still using MrMC mainly for the Apple TV 4K)

• Like 1

We have a stream sharing feature. We can always remove that and then Emby will have improved startup time.

pir8radio

We have a stream sharing feature. We can always remove that and then Emby will have improved startup time.

Nope... lol...   We like stream sharing..   So what if it takes a few seconds to start up a stream.. I think 90% of people would rather have a stable stream, and stream sharing vs a quick start time clients eating multiple tuners and sketchy playback.

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

EODCrafter

Nope... lol...   We like stream sharing..   So what if it takes a few seconds to start up a stream.. I think 90% of people would rather have a stable stream, and stream sharing vs a quick start time clients eating multiple tuners and sketchy playback.

Sharing is Caring :)

Nifty having channel Groups VIA XTeVe, did it work for you in your problem?

Edited by EODCrafter