Emby 3.5.3 on NAS not releasing memory

hollomat

Hello @@rouq

If you can run the Send Logs utility - https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs, I'll be able to take a look and see if this is what happened - and if so, why.

Best

- James

hello @@solabc16

Sorry for the delay.  My NAS experienced a memory hardware failure.  It took me sometime to get it back online.

Since I fixed the memory, emby process memory behavior is back like it was before, slowly climbing constantly.  This morning, "mono-sgen" process under "emby server" process is taking 2.01GB of RAM memory.  Would you like me to send you logs before I restart emby server to clear it out?

Thank you

solabc16

Hello @@rouq

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you've got your system sorted and back online. The latest betas, for supported package architectures, now default to the .NET Core runtime.

See this post : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69296-net-core-native-package-availability/

If you (or anybody else reading and running a supported architecture) would like to switch to the beta channel for the next release cycle, so we can do some more testing with .NET Core as the runtime, let me know.

Best

- James

• 4 weeks later...

On non beta version, I've been running  4.0.2.0 for a while now (the nono version), it is not growing 'forever', but it is taking between 1g and 1,5gb on a 8Gb system (DS918+). Not an issue on a 8Gb server, but I wonder how it behaves on a stock DS218+ and its 2 Gb ram

3djc

CChris

I've just monitored my memory Usage on the DS218+ too...
here's the memory usage before shutting down emby server and after restarting the application.

I will motior this for the next few days - and will provide some updates to you.

5c7d3276cf7f9_2019030415_09_11DS218Synol

CChris

within the last days, I did some changes on my movie libraries (creating a new one, moving movies between the old library and the new one - and also refreshed several times the meta data for these libraries.
I've set up a warning / alert in my synology related to the memory usage of emby.
My Synology should sent an alert if emby is using more than 800MB of the memory.

This is the current memory usage of emby:
5c7ff16481dad_2019030617_08_07DS218Synol

Again, after restarting the Emby Server, I have a similar Memory usage than in the Screenshot from March 04th...
5c7ff2c5429eb_2019030617_15_34embyCommun

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've a synology DS918+ with 4GB Ram.

On January 2019 I installed the Emby server on it (I wanted to move the server from the PC to the NAS).

But after few days I had a big problem, being unable to login at my synology :-o receiving this error message:

"you cannot login to the system because the disk space is full currently"

Resetting the NAS no change, so after reading some synology forum, I've to reinstall the DSM.(not loosing the hard disk data, but loosing all the DSM configuration and setting)

The same error happen again 2 times, after few days from the installation of the emby server.

After the 3rd time I've to reinstall the DSM I decided to give up, keeping the Emby Server on the PC.

And after that no any other problem with my NAS, so clearly it was linked with the installation of the Emby Server.

Only today I found this discussion, where I found the RAM usage problem, linked with the emby server.

If I understood right, the problem still exist, so I'm in doubt to install the emby server again, as I'm afraid to have the same access problem (that is a big pain).

Any way to prevent the fatal error that preclude me to access the NAS?

Any suggestion or idea?

Thanks in advance

CChris

Indeed.
The description sounds like an issue with the Drive Space and not with the Memory.

1) more disk space for your nas
2) Installing Emby on your nas, but keeping the movies on another drive and work with shared network drives in the library settings (but wouldn't recommend this while having a nas)

This may ot be as simple as that. He may have space left on the visible part of his disk, but keep in mind that synology is keeping the system partitions away from users eyes from the GUI.

On my system,(DS918+, 16GB, 30Tb) there is a 1.3 Gb partition for system, that is currently 43% full. If he keep all cache, logging,.. on default path, that is that hidden system partition, that mioght be filling up, there might be other packages also compiting for that space

Emby offers options for location of many of those things, relocating to a volume with availablke space could help him

3djc

This may ot be as simple as that. He may have space left on the visible part of his disk, but keep in mind that synology is keeping the system partitions away from users eyes from the GUI.

On my system,(DS918+, 16GB, 30Tb) there is a 1.3 Gb partition for system, that is currently 43% full. If he keep all cache, logging,.. on default path, that is that hidden system partition, that mioght be filling up, there might be other packages also compiting for that space

Emby offers options for location of many of those things, relocating to a volume with availablke space could help him

3djc

Thanks to Luke, CChris and 3djc for the quick reply.

I do agree, it's more a disk space issue more then a RAM issue.

But disk space is far to be full (1st partition with 3x4TB in Raid 5: space to use 8TB, used only 3% + 2nd partition with 1x10TB used at 50%)

In the 1st partition I've installed the DSM+ all the packages, emby included.

So as 3djc said probably is more a system partition problem, but clearly is related to emby server (for 3 times after emby was installed it crashed in few days, without it, with the same configuration, no problems)

3djc: 

When you say "Emby offers options for location of many of those things, relocating to a volume with availablke space could help him" what do you mean?

But I think volume space is not a problem for my configuration, but if I'm wrong, can you explain how to do it?

As you have the same NAS DS918+, how do you see the system partition and where do you check the space available/used for it?

Do you know any way to monitor the system partition and to avaoid it getting full?

Thanks for any support, as I would really love to move my emby server on the powerfull DS918+

@@Ric, as I said, you cannot see the size and/or usage of the system partition using the GUI. Synology clearly does not want you to mess up with that. It requires SSH login and sending linux command to the syno, which is probably not advisable (if you are familiar with those things, then SSH to your server, log as admin, and issue a df -h for exemple).

It does not either mean it is Emby's issue. On a normal synology system, even with a large library, I doubt system partition size could become an issue, unless something else takes much more space than it should.

As for settings that might help, exemples are 'Cache path' under settings,, under Trancoding : Transcoding temporary path, and there are probably more in your libray settings

3djc

Did you check to see which folders are using the most space?

@@Ric, as I said, you cannot see the size and/or usage of the system partition using the GUI. Synology clearly does not want you to mess up with that. It requires SSH login and sending linux command to the syno, which is probably not advisable (if you are familiar with those things, then SSH to your server, log as admin, and issue a df -h for exemple).

It does not either mean it is Emby's issue. On a normal synology system, even with a large library, I doubt system partition size could become an issue, unless something else takes much more space than it should.

As for settings that might help, exemples are 'Cache path' under settings,, under Trancoding : Transcoding temporary path, and there are probably more in your libray settings

3djc

@@3djc Thanks for the suggested command as I'm newbie in the ssh world.

@@Luke thanks for your constant support in any emby issue (PS I love your profile image :-) )

I was able to login via ssh and sending the df -h command 

I receive this reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filesystem                 Size  Used   Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0                   2.3G  965M  1.3G  44% /
none                          1.9G     0      1.9G   0% /dev
/tmp                           1.9G  1.4M   1.9G   1% /tmp
/run                            1.9G   11M   1.9G   1% /run
/dev/shm                    1.9G  8.0K   1.9G   1% /dev/shm
none                          4.0K     0       4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
cgmfs                        100K     0      100K   0% /run/cgmanager/fs
/dev/vg1/volume_1    7.0T  182G    6.8T   3% /volume1
/dev/vg2/volume_4    8.8T  6.4T      2.4T  73% /volume4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose the system partition is in tmp folder. Is it correct?

I suppose everything looks normal at the moment.

I'm still very scared to instal emby server on NAS, as when I received the message "you cannot login to the system because the disk space is full '", also the connection via SSH was not working (so only solution was to reinstal DSM :-( )
Anyway, I will try to install the emby, with a very small library and see what happen to the above folders.

When I had the problem I was using 2 clients:
- Kodi with Kodi Companion installed on the Emby server with direct streaming
- Chrome with the emby web interface, doing hardware acceleration transcoding (supported for DS918+, as I understood after some reading of the appropriate emby forum)

In this testing phase I will use only chrome and I will not install the Kodi Companion.

Do you suggest me to enable the hardware acceleration for the  transcoding in this testing phase?

Any other suggestion or ssh command to use is welcome.

Thanks again

FrostByte

@@FrostByte do you know about this?

No.  I've been watching, but haven't seen any of the things mentioned in this thread yet.  I'm on the beta though, so a lot has changed with netcore, etc

As far as the partitions are, here are mine which are also all defaults on my NAS.  % are pretty much the same

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0        2.3G 1011M  1.2G  46% /
none            2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /dev
/tmp            2.9G  696K  2.9G   1% /tmp
/run            2.9G  6.2M  2.9G   1% /run
/dev/shm        2.9G   16K  2.9G   1% /dev/shm
none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
cgmfs           100K     0  100K   0% /run/cgmanager/fs
/dev/vg1000/lv   21T   16T  6.0T  72% /volume1

Edited by FrostByte

@@Ric

Your figures looks perfectly normal currently, so it is strange that Emby would grab all the space. As you suggested, you could install back emby and add a small librairie while monitoring disk usage with df , so we get a better understanding at what space gets taken by it.

3djc

@@Ric

Your figures looks perfectly normal currently, so it is strange that Emby would grab all the space. As you suggested, you could install back emby and add a small librairie while monitoring disk usage with df , so we get a better understanding at what space gets taken by it.

3djc

@3djc

Just done it.

Installed emby, without additional plugins. Very small library (4 movies and 3 TV shows).

Monitoring disk usage.

I'll be back in some hours with some data.

Thanks again

Update.

After 6h all is still ok (using the direct strem and transcoding).

Small increase of one file system but very small

/dev/md0           2.3G  992M  1.2G  45% /
It incresed of 1% also with intense use (3 streaming at the same time and many rescanning of the library)

So I installed emby companion and no increase in system space at all.

If it will continue to be stable, tomorrow I will try with:

- 1st: a bigger movie, TV and music library 

- 2nd: TV tuner plugin (DVB Link)

Hello, after some days I had only a small increase as below

pre-emby on 26 march

/dev/md0           2.3G  965M  1.3G  44% /

After emby on 27 march

/dev/md0           2.3G  992M  1.2G  45% /

After the full library and kodi companion plugin on 30 March

/dev/md0           2.3G  997M  1.2G  46% /

After some use on 31 March

/dev/md0           2.3G  998M  1.2G  46% /

@3djc
I noticed that restarting the NAS or the Emby server the memory used by /dev/md0 does not decrease, but sometime slowly increase.
Do I have to worry and continue to monitor it with df -h?

Because if it will slowly continue to grow, in some month it can be full and block the system.
Any linux command to clean it?

Thanks