Emby 3.5.3 on NAS not releasing memory

hollomat

Sure.

Server is Synology DS185+, runing latest DSM 6.2
It is hosting a couple of docker (nzbget/sonarr/bazarr), but this has been the case for a long time without any mem issues
I started using emby not too long ago and more recently beta channel (mem issue where present with release version as well)

Plugins : Auto Box Set (does not seem tro work since I switched to beta)

Playback environement
90%+ of usage : LG 4k TV emby client, emby on iPad used as a 'remote control' to bypass the native TV app slowliness, no transcoding
Occasional usage of Emby Theather on my PC (i9/GTX1080Ti)
Occasional usage of Emby on nVidia Shield connected to TV (absolutely awesome, but requires stating the shield and all.., used when for some reason the native TV app does not want to play withtout transcoding)
Occasional usage of AppleTV when my wife feels like watching a movie

Playback is happening only on LAN

DNLA is turned off (all the checkbox in dnla settings are not checked)
Subtitle DL is not handled by Emby (I use Bazarr for that)

Since it is mostly a one user server, I will monitor memory before and after viewing sessions and report here.

Private ram usage:
08/12 08:30 124 Mb (right after server reboot)
08/12 11:30 156 Mb (no activity since last check)
08/12 13:15 207 Mb (no activity since last check)
08/12 15:30 240 Mb (stable while watching a full movie)
08/12 16:30 546 Mb (as far as I can tell, jump when movie finished and I was back to menu)
08/12 17:21 761 Mb (rised while I was browsing my movie library)

08/12 18:30 768 + 230 Mb (I seem to have now two sets)

09/12 09:45 314 + 202 Mb  (no activity since last check)

3djc

Edited by 3djc

solabc16

Hello @@3djc

Can you run the Send Logs utility, this is a useful set of data points given their close proximity and we have context.

08/12 13:15 207 Mb (no activity since last check)
08/12 15:30 240 Mb (stable while watching a full movie)
08/12 16:30 546 Mb (as far as I can tell, jump when movie finished and I was back to menu)
08/12 17:21 761 Mb (rised while I was browsing my movie library)

Best

- James

solabc16

Thanks, can you enable debug logging under Dashboard -> Expert -> Logs.

The content in question was Deadpool 2 and Supergirl S03E09?

When you see this pattern again, run the Send Logs utility again and let me know.

Best

- James

Yes, the sudden rise happened right after DP2, tried to reproduce with the flying lady, but it did not seem to happen, instead I had a progressive growth while scrolling throught the movie titles after wathcing the episode

Activating debug logs as I type

3djc

Now something strange has happened in the last hour (since my last meme check to be precise), I've now got two sets of mono/SGen/Finalyser; one at 767 Mb and one at 229Mb. I believe (but I'l not sure) that I had only one before

3djc

Edited by 3djc

ok, I've now jumped at 1.05Gb. The sequence of event was this one :

- tried to ply a 4K hevc movie from the tv emby client.I though it would not need transcoding, but for some reason it did. As my server is not powerfull enough, I stopped

- I then turned on nVidia Shield and played the movie from emby there

Before this in the 350 Mb area (so down from previous mesure)

sendlogs_net-disk_synology_avoton_1815+_20181209T153812UTC.tgz

3djc

Is this a mono garbage collection issue? Is anyone seeing this symptom with .net core? Might simply be a matter of waiting for 3.6?

solabc16

Hello @@3djc, All

I'm not quite prepared to throw Mono 'under the bus' yet, we don't have enough evidence to suggest this is specifically a Mono issue.

The size of the jumps and their rapid nature, don't lend themselves to it being a typical garbage collection issue.

As noted a little further up the thread, I've setup an 'avoton' based test system here to see if we can reproduce the issue, but so far this system has been running with a consistent footprint between updates; it's on the Mono (netframework) beta channel. So it still suggests that this behaviour is being triggered by something specific to the environment and/or the plugins loaded. Anecdotally, given the size of the user base, we're not seeing this being reported at significant levels; which supports the prior assertion.

We have seen occasions where the .NET Core package has also exhibited similiar peaky memory demands, but we haven't undertaken sufficient analysis to draw any conclusions or suggest that the causes are the same.

@@3djc, I'll hook you up on the .NET Core test programme - as you are able to run both installations on the same machine; just not at the same time - be sure to read the first couple of introductory posts on the thread when I add you.

Best

- James

@@solabc16,

Let me know what would help you most : me staying on the mono beta, and trying to catch more events triggering the increase, or moving to .net to try to narrow down if the issue is more in the 'common' area of both version or more into the specifics. Your call really

3djc

solabc16

Hello @@3djc

You should have received the invite now, with details of how to get started with .NET Core.

If you're a Premiere subscriber, you can use the 'Server Configuration Backup' plugin to easily transfer your current setup to your .NET Core installation.

As you seem to be able to reproduce the behaviour quite routinely, your experiences running with the same configuration on .NET Core would certainly be useful.

Give me a shout on the .NET Core test programme message group if you need any assistance getting up and running.

Best

- James

Yes, I have a subscription, so this will help.

Does the server auto restart itself overnight ? I was a 1.05gb yesterday evening, 161Mb this morning

I'll do the mono beta update first, then install .net and switch to it for 24/48h and report the behavior I'm seeing.

Best regards

jc

Ok, i have switched to .Net version, and so far, here is my findings :

- after server install, memory usage was around 150mb, and stayed there as the server was idling

- launch LG tv client, ram increase, but a very little

- start playing something: no change

- use back key on remote to stop playback : increase by about 100 Mb

- repeat play/back sequence: lesser memory increase for the next two tries

- I’m now at 520 Mb, and repeating the sequence has no effect anymore

- the server is now idling at that value

To be noted :

- the tv client became very/insanely slow during this process

- while the .Net instructions kinda say it, it would be helpful I think to emphasis mono ‘migrant’ that permission need to be set for the new embysvr user (not that I felt *cough* into that trap ! :D)

Will keep monitoring that.

3djc

solabc16

Hello @@3djc

Thanks for the update, to answer your previous question - no, there is nothing built in that will restart the service by default.

The information about the user is right there in the 2nd post on the .NET Core development group PM, which I highlighted above when I said "be sure to read the first couple of introductory posts on the thread when I add you."

Here it is...

The instructions here are still valid, but note the Emby Server username is now 'embysvrnet' : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Setting-Up-Your-Media-Library-Share

Best

- James

NOTE: For anyone else reading, this relates to package development only and has no bearing on the current release or future .NET Core release; which will be an in-place upgrade.

Edited by solabc16

So far, it appears the two version behaves very differently as far as this issue is concerned. I have not witnessed increase in memory usage with the .net version on my ds1815+, (I stay between 150 and 200 Mb, the top max I saw was 500 mb), despite having the same usage pattern as usual where I was over a Gb before the evening. Will keep monitoring and report.

3djc

solabc16

Thanks for the update @@3djc, it would certainly be sensible to be cautious in jumping to any premature conclusions.

Do you have both versions configured identically in terms of plugins, libraries, tuners, etc.?

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16