Emby 3.5.3 on NAS not releasing memory

hollomat

Yes, they are configured exactly the same, I have used the backup/restore plugin to do it, selecting everything in the restore settings. the only plugin I have beside défaut install is auto box set, which I have reinstalled as well. The library is made only of two local shares (one for movies, one for series),no music,pictures,tuners, nothing complicated at all.

If you are ok with it, i’m currently thinking of staying like that for 48 hours while monitoring. If nothing special happens, going back to mono version to see if I can still reproduce it

3djc

From @solabc16

Anecdotally, given the size of the user base, we're not seeing this being reported at significant levels; which supports the prior assertion.

I just want to add that I'm seeing this problem too.  Maybe once a week I restart emby server to clear it.  The funny thing is that I'm seeing often the 1.05Gb reported by 3djc.  It's my cue to restart emby server.

I'm running emby server 3.5.2 on a DS418play with 8GB ram. running DMS 6.2.1-23824-1.

I'm running live TV.

Plugin installed:

-Cinema Mode

-IMVDb

Iso Mounter

Kodi companion

Open Subtitles

Edited by rouq

Hello @@rouq

Thanks for the information, any reason for not updating to 3.5.3 so can make like for like comparisons?

Best

- James

Hello @@solabc16

Sorry, It's a typo from my part.  I'm using 3.5.3 latest official release, not 3.5.2.

Sorry about that

I said I would monitor so just an update. I stil do not get past 550Mb with .Net version, despite very similar usage patern (I even played the same exact movie - serie sequence as last time, but that did not trigger the massive mem growth). I give it 24h more, i'll switch back to mono tomorow morning if I still can't get it to happen

3djc

So even with  24h more hours, I have not been able to go above 550mb isch with .Net, so I'm switching back to mono version to see if I get back to the dreaded Gb usage. Will keep posted

3djc

ok, so first 24 hours back to mono, yesterday I endeed the day arround 780Mb (so not hittting the famous 1Gb) , and I'm at 280Mb this morning (still unsure why some night I see no change, and some a dramatic decrease, like if emby server was restarted)

3djc

Hum, i’m now running a later mono beta as in the very first tests, but I have not been able to replicate previously easy to replicate dramatic memory increase, but I keep watching it closely and will report here as soon as I see it again

3djc

solabc16

Thanks for persevering @@3djc, my suspicion is still that this is being triggered by a specific combination of activities and environmental factors; hence why we can't reproduce at will.

We will keep working on this and give it (even) more focus once the next stable is released.

Best

- James

Not much of an update to report from me other than the issue continues. As I've been setting up some other things to run on the NAS I thought I'd have another dig through it's settings and info screens and this morning noticed that with RAM use nearing 85%, in Performance > Task Manager > Processes there were a lot of mono-sgen processes all apparently sleeping:

5c1cb59410188_20181221.png

When I stopped Emby they all vanished and after restarting some reappeared, which then multiplied a bit, all using the same amount of "private memory". The RAM in use goes up each time a library scan runs and this seems to apply across both the running process and all the sleeping processes. I'm not sure why the library scan process keeps running like this as it isn't setup to do so as a schedule (the schedule is set for daily at 0045) so I've just been through and disabled real-time monitoring for all my libraries and then restarted Emby.

But it looks like the scans are still being triggered from somewhere.

Latest logs in case these are of any use are:

sendlogs_Weyland-Yutani_synology_apollolake_918+_20181221T095612UTC.tgz

solabc16

Hello @@Gronda, All

It may well still tell us something. If your platform supports the 'Services' tab under 'Resource Monitor -> Task Manager', this a better way to get a view of overall utilisation.

You'll also see FFmpeg processes appear here under 'Emby Server', as and when your setup requires them.

5c200809afd1c_dsm_resource_monitor_servi

Best

- James

• 4 weeks later...

Updated and initially wasn't seeing much difference in behaviour so restarted the NAS. It's been up for about 15 hours now and I've used it to watch a few things (both SD and HD) and it looks promising with memory usage hovering around the 320mb mark idle. 

In case they help, a fresh set of logs:

sendlogs_Weyland-Yutani_synology_apollolake_918+_20190118T174657UTC.tgz 

@@solabc16

Hi James,

Thanks for your efforts on the update. Things are definitely quicker and smoother. Memory usage has not changed significantly. I'm still hovering at the 1GB mark after 3 days or so of up time.

Let me know if you require any logs.

Thanks

Diego

solabc16

Hello All

If you're not on the beta channel and would be willing to test an updated stable, let me know and I'll PM you the details.

Best

- James