Emby 3.5.3 on NAS not releasing memory

hollomat

andcbii

Hello @@andcbii - we haven't updated the non .NET Core betas in a while, so I'll post back later on that.

However, it's kind of useful if you're seeing this on an older release.

Is this something you've noticed for a while or something that has happened only recently?

Best

- James

It seems to be a newer development. I would say in the last 45 days or so...

andcbii

You're running an old beta release, so first I would update and then reevaluate. Thanks.

Emby and my Synology don't say there is a new release? how can i update?

5bd753612f06f_Capture.png

solabc16

Hello @@andcbii

You are on the beta channel, can you confirm you still have the beta channel URL configured in Package Center? (please do not post it here)

The recent DSM updates have been known to the clear the 'show beta packages' checkbox, so you might want to check that is still ticked.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

andcbii

DSM did uncheck the beta check mark... I've re-checked the box and will see if any updates come. 

OK, after a little while I was notified for a new beta: 3.6.0.51. I'll report back in a few days and let you know if my issue is fixed. 

Edited by andcbii

andcbii

Still seems to be eating up a lot of RAM:

2018/10/30 @ 7:20AM - 274.9 MB
2018/10/30 @ 8:37AM - 565.3 MB
2018/10/31 @ 7:26AM - 1.16 GB
2018/11/01 @ 7:32AM - 1.06 GB

I'm now on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1 and EMBY 3.6.0.51-1-beta

I've sent new logs. 

Upload completed successfully, please include this filename with your ticket...
sendlogs_RS-3412xs-1_synology_bromolow_rs3412xs_20181101T123937UTC.tgz   

andcbii

I didn't do a great job tracking this over the weekend, but now it's up to 1.6 GB of memory used. I used Emby a little over the weekend but not much:

2018/10/30 @ 7:20AM - 274.9 MB
2018/10/30 @ 8:37AM - 565.3 MB
2018/10/31 @ 7:26AM - 1.16 GB
2018/11/01 @ 7:32AM - 1.06 GB
2018/11/01 @ 7:50AM - 1 GB
2018/11/05 @ 11:55AM - 1.61 GB

• 3 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

Appreciate further updates following the latest stable/beta releases, which would be:-

3.5.3.0-18 (or newer) for stable

3.6.0.65-1 (or newer) for beta

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

No particular change for me. I've been running 3.5.3.0-18 for a couple of weeks now. The rate of increase in used ram may be slightly slower than before (and even if it is that could be due to a reduction in usage recently) but I still find myself rebooting the software every couple of days to pre-empt any playback issues.

I would suggest re-evaluating once the next release is available as it will have some improvements here. Thanks.

solabc16

Hello @@Gronda

Thanks for the feedback and I share Luke's sentiments, although any further information we can garner in the meantime will be beneficial.

As part of investigating this, I've left one of our 'avoton' based test systems running with 3.5.3.0-18 to see if I can recreate it.

So far, without success, which would suggest it's being driven by either plugins and/or the environment (e.g. playback devices, DLNA devices on the network, etc.).

Could you (and anybody else reading this thread and experiencing the issue) provide some more information about your setup.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Happy to provide some general info around my setup pending the next update.

The Synology box has 4x10tb drives mounted as a single volume with all media across two shares on the volume.

Emby has libraries for:
- mixed content
- books
- music
- movies
- TV shows

Watching media is usually achieved through the AppleTV app running on an AppleTV 4 (TvOS 12.1) and the iOS app running on my iPad (iOS 12.1). Apps are kept up to date. I access the server using Chrome (as with the apps, kept up to date with new releases) either on my desktop PC (Win10) or iPad although rarely use that to watch media and use the access primarily to get to the server dashboard and plugins.

Plugins currently in use are:
- Auto Box Sets
- Auto Organize
- Cinema Mode
- IMVDb
- ISO Mounter for Emby Server
- Open Subtitles
- Trailers

Not entirely sure how to view any DLNA devices on my network. Having checked using VLC on my PC, the only thing showing at the moment is my modem / router (a TP-Link Archer VR900) which has a USB port for sharing folders (I've never used this feature).

Looking in the Network folder of My Computer, there are three devices showing:

- the router

- my media centre PC (which I used to run Emby on before buying the Synology box)

- Emby (as running on the Synology box)

solabc16

Hello @@Gronda

Thanks for the above, appreciated. On the test system, we have the following plugins installed:-

- Auto Box Sets
- Cinema Mode
- Cover Art
- IMVDb
- ISO Mounter for Emby Server
- Open Subtitles
- Reports
- Trailers

Do you have DLNA Play To and DLNA Server enabled in your setup (Dashboard -> Devices -> DLNA)? If you do and you're not using DLNA for playback, can you try disabling both for 24 hours and see if this has any impact. We have it enabled on the test system, but any potential issue will more likely be driven by the devices on the network, rather than the feature itself being active or not.

The test system has a HDHomerun configured and updates scheduling information from Schedules Direct.

The memory on the system here typically sits between 250 - 300MB.

If possible, can you run the Send Logs utility and post the reference number you'll get back here. Details are available on the Wiki : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs.

Best
- James

Hi James,

DLNA Play To and Server now disabled and Emby restarted. I wasn't entirely sure what you meant about the logs so:

Logs before DLNA settings disabled -

sendlogs_Weyland-Yutani_synology_apollolake_918+_20181123T180837UTC.tgz

Logs after DLNA settings disabled and Emby restarted -

sendlogs_Weyland-Yutani_synology_apollolake_918+_20181123T181136UTC.tgz

I'll take a fresh set in 24 hours and upload those two along with any observations on changes or lack thereof. But as an immediate observation it's been back up for a few minutes and whilst the memory usage is fluctuating, it seems to be settling around the 240mb mark and not just ratcheting up so this looks promising.

Evening,

I spoke too soon yesterday - ram usage is up to 1.27gb

Fresh set of logs:

sendlogs_Weyland-Yutani_synology_apollolake_918+_20181124T181300UTC.tgz

erikblues

I also have higher RAM usage since last update.

When ram cap is reached, I start getting I/O Wait in CPU during conversion tasks and conversion speed falls drastically.

Device: Synology DS415play

RAM usage while doing a SD movie conversion with only 1 CPU thread in use:

5bfb198b31cf6_ScreenShot20181125at224704

Edited by erikblues

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Has there been any update to this? I also have memory slowly creeping up on 3.5.3-18 and my DS918+. I have DLNA services disabled and also disabled real time file scanning feature for the libraries. Seems to go up approx 150mb to 200mb a day.

Thanks

Diego

Hi,

Has there been any update to this? I also have memory slowly creeping up on 3.5.3-18 and my DS918+. I have DLNA services disabled and also disabled real time file scanning feature for the libraries. Seems to go up approx 150mb to 200mb a day.

Thanks

Diego

Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks.

i'm running 3.6.0.75-beta mono on a DS1815+ 8Gb ram as seem to have a simililar issue.

5c0b751e681ba_mem.png

I am at 89% overall ram usage for the Syno

After Syno reboot and some time to let all service to start, here is  ram usage

5c0b7a8181a3f_mem2.png

Logs Uploaded  : sendlogs_net-disk_synology_avoton_1815+_20181208T075002UTC.tgz

Thanks for your help

3djc

Edited by 3djc

solabc16

Hello @@3djc

Thanks for the information, let us know how this changes over time.

Can you provide some more information about your system, see the discussion starting a little earlier in this thread here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63685-emby-353-on-nas-not-releasing-memory/?p=651575

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16