Emby 3.5.3 on NAS not releasing memory

hollomat

hollomat

I am trying to check if anyone else sees this or if my Emby install needs to be redone. I am using Emby server 3.5.3 on Synology ds 418 play NAS, the system has been running great until movie playback and live TV began stuttering. Although 3.5.3 has not been on the NAS for 60 days, the NAS before and after the Emby upgrade has been running for that amount of time. Over the 60 days the amount of memory held by the Emby server has gone up. I did not notice it until movie and live TV streams began stuttering on the clients.

When checking resources used by services on the NAS by Emby there is a ESdaemon service and a mono service. The mono service held 793 MB of memory without any clients running. I restarted the NAS and the memory being held by Emby mono service went to 152.3 MB.

I then went back under resource monitor for the Nas with no clients running showed service ESdaemon using 1.8 MB memory and service labeled mono using 152.3 MB of memory. I started an Emby client on my shield tv, ESdaemon stayed 1.8 MB, mono first went to 169.9 MB and over ten minutes went to 172.9 MB. I then went back to client on shield and started a move stream. ESdaemon remained 1.8 MB and mono went to 206.5 MB. I stopped the movie and exited the client, the memory usage remained the same for twelve minutes and then dropped to 198.6 MB for the mono service. I went back started the client and the mono service went to 210.8 MB, I started a movie stream and mono went to 213.1 MB. I stopped the movie stream an exited the client, the memory usage went to 212.4. I went through several more cycles using different clients and at no time did the mono service return to its original numbers for memory usage, over time after I stopped running clients and streams the memory usage slowly over time continued to go up. The only way I found to release the memory was to restart the NAS.

Edit: Just went back and checked, restarting the Emby server through the web browser also released the memory. 

Edited by hollomat

solabc16

Hello @@hollomat

How much memory do have configured in your system and is the system under memory pressure, i.e. what is your percentage utilisation?

Best

- James

hollomat

James, Thanks for the reply

The system has the 2GB it came with, Emby is the only major app I'm running on it. When rebooted 19 percent of memory is being used. When emby services begin growing I've only let it reach 57 percent before restarting emby server. The system only reaches memory pressure when emby mono service does not release it.

Ty

Edit: For example, when reading your reply I went to the ds418Play web page and it showed 39 percent memory usage. I rebooted emby server and memory usage dropped to 19 percent.

Edited by hollomat

solabc16

Hello @@hollomat

If possible, can you leave it and see what happens over an extended period.

If it starts pushing your system memory utilisation > 90% and/or you start experiencing problems with DSM or other packages, then we'll need to start digging deeper.

Best

- James

hollomat

Hello @@solabc16

Thanks for the reply but as stated in my original post, I became aware of the memory problem when Emby began stuttering and stopping movie streams when it held onto 794 MB of memory. I'm thinking its, other files are being accessed on the server. Anyway when it reaches the point of not streaming I don't know what letting it hold more memory would do. Everything functions perfectly until, using Emby server over time the mono service does not release memory. I reboot the server and memory is released. I can increase memory (which I intend to do), but that does not solve the problem of the mono service not releasing memory.

I have used emby premiere for a few years and  depend heavily on it and had very few problems with it. The first thing I'm trying to find out is if someone else go's to, Resource Monitor > Task Manager > Services > Emby Server, select the arrow beside emby and notice that the mono service uses memory when emby client is run, but does not release it all when client is closed. If no one else's system does, it means it's only mine and maybe I can do something about it. If it is the program, depending how long before the next update I can decide to keep rebooting the server or just remove it from my synology. If anyone else do or don't see this memory usage it would help me decide. Again my system is a ds 418 Play.

Thanks

solabc16

Hello @hollomat 

The question was really to establish whether or not memory is not being released because there is no pressure to do so, or whether we are genuinely leaking memory. Whilst over simplifying greatly, this is not always clear-cut with runtimes that provides automatic memory management.

Can you run the diagnostics and send logs utilities, so we can start looking at this in more detail:-

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

majorsl

I've seen this randomly with Mono on my Synology and Emby.  I have 8GB RAM so, while sometimes VERY slowly creeping up, it isn't much of an issue.

Honestly, I was waiting until we ditch Mono to see if it really was a problem at that point.

majorsl

Thanks for your feedback @@majorsl, what Synology platform are you running?

Best

- James

DS1817+
CPU
INTEL Atom C2538
CPU clock rate
2.4 GHz
CPU cores
Total physical memory
8192 MB
DSM version
DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2

hollomat

Hello @hollomat 

The question was really to establish whether or not memory is not being released because there is no pressure to do so, or whether we are genuinely leaking memory. Whilst over simplifying greatly, this is not always clear-cut with runtimes that provides automatic memory management.

Can you run the diagnostics and send logs utilities, so we can start looking at this in more detail:-

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

Hello @@solabc16, Done

Thanks

Edit: Forgot to send file name, Sendlogs_Play418_synology_apollolake_418play_20181009T04311UTC.tgz

Edited by hollomat

hollomat

Hello @@hollomat

I've published an update for your platform (3.5.3.0-8), can you let me know if this make any difference to your system.

Appreciate if you can you run the diagnostics and send logs utilities after updating:-

https://github.com/M...Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/M...us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

Done. Upgraded and logs sent, file name, Sendlogs_Play418_synology_apollolake_418play_20181014T033915UTC.tgz.

I will run through a few cycles and see if anything changed.

I will report back.

Thanks

Edited by hollomat

hollomat

Hello @@solabc16

I believe its increasing at a slower rate, but how mono holds memory is the same. Example, on the date of installation of the upgrade and no clients running  mono memory was 134 MB, today with no clients running its holding 570 MB. I used a client to watch live tv and some recordings the memory usage only climbed to 577 MB while the client was running and dropped back to 570 MB upon client exit. The next time I used the emby client to watch a movie and when I closed the client the mono service held 604.9 MB. To see if the memory would be released over time I checked again 4 hrs later and memory held was 595.2 MB, still a slow  increase from the previous 570. When I restart the server memory drops back to 134 MB.

thanks for the help

Edited by hollomat

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16
Hello @@hollomat

There's an update available for your platform (3.5.3.0-16).

I'd be interested to hear if there are any changes in your observations once you've had a chance to run it for a while.

Best

- James

I seem to have the same issue. I recently setup a Synology DS918+ and added Emby. Early last week I was watching some shows and noticed that the video would freeze momentarily before rushing to catch-up with the audio. Looking at the system RAM usage was at 84% when at idle it's usually around 15% and underload maybe 20-25%. I found this thread, checked the resource monitor and Emby was using about 1.8gb of RAM.

Last night I installed the latest update and of course on reboot it dropped back to 180mb of RAM in use. This morning it's up to 754mb RAM having sat idle for the last 8-9 hours.

This may be unrelated but I've noticed that it runs the library scan every few minutes even when the schedule is set to only run every 24 hours.

I seem to have the same issue. I recently setup a Synology DS918+ and added Emby. Early last week I was watching some shows and noticed that the video would freeze momentarily before rushing to catch-up with the audio. Looking at the system RAM usage was at 84% when at idle it's usually around 15% and underload maybe 20-25%. I found this thread, checked the resource monitor and Emby was using about 1.8gb of RAM.

Last night I installed the latest update and of course on reboot it dropped back to 180mb of RAM in use. This morning it's up to 754mb RAM having sat idle for the last 8-9 hours.

This may be unrelated but I've noticed that it runs the library scan every few minutes even when the schedule is set to only run every 24 hours.

Hi there @@Gronda, please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks.

andcbii

I'm having a similar issue. Memory show creeps up until my NAS is unresponsive. 

Model: RS3421xs

4GB RAM

DSM 6.2.1-23824

CPU: INTEL Core i3-2100
EMBY: Version 3.6.0.2 beta (is this the most recent?)

Here are logs for the last few days:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CGbfoq_oY2eRM6ces0hiTcLOrEhvyb5y

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g_HJYPjvQxED0_73kyY0zk9buVNev8km

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I6pJSMhLE71wEzHUj1G06-8H-P4ppeWh

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_BCNoRPOaKQep1mv2Q3a0iJ-RwzcF2cr

I've also sent logs via:

Upload completed successfully, please include this filename with your ticket...
sendlogs_RS-3412xs-1_synology_bromolow_rs3412xs_20181029T172805UTC.tgz 
Edited by andcbii

Log file attached. Not sure there is much explanation I can add to the previous. Since my earlier post Emby has not been used or reset. Ram usage is now up to 608mb:

5bd7441b27f49_20181029.png

System specs are:

Model: DS918+

4GB RAM

DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1

CPU: INTEL Celeron J3455

Emby: Version 3.5.3.0

Log.txt

solabc16

Hello @@andcbii - we haven't updated the non .NET Core betas in a while, so I'll post back later on that.

However, it's kind of useful if you're seeing this on an older release.

Is this something you've noticed for a while or something that has happened only recently?

Best

- James

Gronda, please try removing these plugins and see if it helps:

CoverArt 4.0.79.0

Auto Organize 1.2.8.0

Thanks.

Luke, both plugins removed, no immediate change so I restarted the server, As at 1753 it was using 129.5mb of ram, as at now, 1813, it's up to 228mb and slowly ticking up whilst not being accessed.

James, logs at: sendlogs_Weyland-Yutani_synology_apollolake_918+_20181029T180835UTC.tgz