275 replies to this topic

#261 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 134897 posts
  • Local time: 01:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

But that would require sticking to an older version.

#262 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:02 PM

But that would require sticking to an older version.

She's talking about as an external player, I believe.

#263 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:48 PM

Here's another mpv HDR tweak, for those interested.

hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-desaturate=0.2
tone-mapping-param=0.3

I slightly lowered the desaturation. This creates a brighter more vibrant picture than the default(s). I also decided to turn off hdr-compute-peak. I was noticing some scenes were too shaded. Turning it off follows the metadata, instead of a second by second computation. So it's more like actually allowing your display to handle the shading by following the metadata. I see noticeable change in the picture, that I prefer.

hdr-compute-peak=yes

5c22c1a14b67b_mpvshot0002.jpg

hdr-compute-peak=no

5c22c1cc6f218_mpvshot0001.jpg

Please note this will be brighter than passing the metadata to your display. If it's too bright, only use hdr-compute-peak=no, and don't add the rest

You can also change this value. It should reduce glare. The default is 0.3

tone-mapping-param=0.1

Another option is disabling desaturation by setting it 0.0. This combined with the others, might be more preferable. 

hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-desaturate=0.0
tone-mapping-param=0.1

And for those using an Nvidia GPU, if you dial up your digital vibrance setting from 50% to 60%, that will add some pzazz that you may enjoy. I've been comparing HDR passthrough to mpv tonemapping and that's about as close as I've gotten, so far.

5c22d37f0f18c_Snapshot_126.jpg

On further testing with other movies, using mobius without hdr-compute-peak can cause clipping with bright scenes. The default is hable, which will slightly darken and desaturate the picture. So I have opted to use hable and disable desaturation. If you wish to use that, you can simply use;

hdr-compute-peak=no

Edited by Doofus, 26 December 2018 - 12:32 AM.

#264 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • Local time: 03:08 PM

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:29 AM

Here's another mpv HDR tweak, for those interested.

hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-desaturate=0.2
tone-mapping-param=0.3
I slightly lowered the desaturation. This creates a brighter more vibrant picture than the default(s). I also decided to turn off hdr-compute-peak. I was noticing some scenes were too shaded. Turning it off follows the metadata, instead of a second by second computation. So it's more like actually allowing your display to handle the shading by following the metadata. I see noticeable change in the picture, that I prefer.

hdr-compute-peak=yes
5c22c1a14b67b_mpvshot0002.jpg

hdr-compute-peak=no
5c22c1cc6f218_mpvshot0001.jpg

Please note this will be brighter than passing the metadata to your display. If it's too bright, only use hdr-compute-peak=no, and don't add the rest

You can also change this value. It should reduce glare. The default is 0.3
tone-mapping-param=0.1

Another option is disabling desaturation by setting it 0.0. This combined with the others, might be more preferable.
hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-param=0.1

And for those using an Nvidia GPU, if you dial up your digital vibrance setting from 50% to 60%, that will add some pzazz that you may enjoy. I've been comparing HDR passthrough to mpv tonemapping and that's about as close as I've gotten, so far.

5c22d37f0f18c_Snapshot_126.jpg

On further testing with other movies, using mobius without hdr-compute-peak can cause clipping with bright scenes. The default is hable, which will slightly darken and desaturate the picture. So I have opted to use hable and disable desaturation. If you wish to use that, you can simply use;
hdr-compute-peak=no
Digital Vibrance in Nvidia control panel only affects desktop display, doesn’t seem to affect when playing video ie digital vibrance setting in under the adjust desktop display section

#265 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

Digital Vibrance in Nvidia control panel only affects desktop display, doesn’t seem to affect when playing video ie digital vibrance setting in under the adjust desktop display section

It makes a noticeable difference for me. Things like lightening are brighter.

#266 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

This appears to be my sweet spot.

hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=hable
target-peak=740

I looked up what my display peak nits was, and apparently it's 742. So I set the target-peak just below it, dialed up the Nvidia digital vibrance to 65%, and this is very close to what the HDR passthrough, is.

• jscoys likes this

#267 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

Doofus , I thought  I saw you post a link to your current profile for another individual for them with instructions on where to place it?  I am finally getting around to this as I stated that I just don't have the time. So if its not too much trouble for you to place it in a google drive or something for me with the placement instructions.  I can then experiment from there, but I think you have covered all the basis.

#268 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

Are you wanting an HDR config, too? Or is only the location you want? If it's just the location, here is where it goes

https://emby.media/c...ng-for-theater/

And if you want a config, that's not so straight forward. Gonna need more info. And I'm using an mpv test build for the new configs. You should take a look at the testing area.

https://emby.media/c...-test/?p=673156

I've posted a bunch of info on this stuff.

Edited by Doofus, 05 February 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#269 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:25 PM

yes I am wanting the hdr config too.  Yes I have commended you on your time, testing and research in past posts.  I just couldnt find the post that you already did this for someone, I know I read it, just cant find it.  So thanks for your help.

Basically your settings used in the "antman" examples in which I commented on as those settings seem to be quite accurate.  I would be using only the bt.2020 as in my opinion it does a prety good job upgrading the color pallet of the the 709.  At least on my display anyway.  On occasion there are issues but I think its primarily just the way particular scenes were shot as they distractions are far and few between.  But that doesnt preclude me from trying both autos for 2020 709.

Thanks again

#270 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:29 PM

Ok, so the AntMan stuff is with the current release of mpv. If you want to take advantage of the new configs, you'll need the test build in the thread I linked. Is your display always in HDR10?

#271 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:44 PM

I just want to clarify that those settings are in the new update for mpv?  I ask as my display (x900f) is calibrated and it appears very dark in a lot daylight scenes, like your wearing sunglasses.  The night scenes look great.  I do see the brightness go up and down (even though those settings are turned off even in game mode) in all daylight scenes.  It looks perfect for a second and than everything gets muted and looks like crap again.  I say crap, not really crap, just not good or great.

The Sony x900f is hdr10 and dolbyvision compatible and windows is left in HDR mode as it does make things better in my opinion.  I have the gtx 1060 set to 422 12bit.  I did just try using the brightness slider in the windows desktop settings for the hdr which did help after I got the right brightness, I then did the same in the gpu video settings but havent had enough time to actually see if it did or did not make a difference.  Again all the day light scenes look like your wearing sunglasses.  Just not Cool!

My HTPC is connected via hdmi to my Denon h6300x (dolby vision compatible) then to my X900F in hdmi 2 or 3 (which ever is the arc, cant remember).  My roku ultra (hush) displays perfect (no emby there, no hd audio pass, or 4k pass through).

So I am pretty confident that I can tweek those brightness settings as you did since that is my only problem at this point.  I just need a config file to get me started.  LOL, I have two options, read the directions, or read the forums, I just dont have the time for both!  Yes, I know, sad.

#272 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:55 PM

@blumamba

So your'e in the ball park. Your system is very similar to mine. The mpv build that you want, is what I posted in the testing area. This thread and what you've read in it, don't really apply to that build. It has a lot of changes. You need to jump down to the testing area. Follow the link I posted. Once you get your display calibrated to your taste, I can work with you on a config that you'll like. I just posted another one, down there. I've got screenshots, too. But post down there, not here. It's an unofficial mpv build.

Edited by Doofus, 07 February 2019 - 11:56 PM.

#273 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:27 PM

Gotcha Doofus.  Will do ASAP and thanks again for your work, if it wasnt for peeps like you I would get no where!

• Doofus likes this

#274 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

Gotcha Doofus. Will do ASAP and thanks again for your work, if it wasnt for peeps like you I would get no where!

You're welcome, and I created a thread specifically for HDR in mpv, in the testing area. That should explain everything you need.
  • jscoys likes this

#275 jscoys OFFLINE  

jscoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1183 posts
  • Local time: 01:08 AM

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

You're welcome, and I created a thread specifically for HDR in mpv, in the testing area. That should explain everything you need.

Can you give us the link please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#276 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11774 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

Can you give us the link please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://emby.media/c...pv/#entry699833