NextPVR Dumb Tuner

Carlo

arrbee99

Been there, done that.

...and it seems to work !

Have four chrome tabs all playing different channels from the same mux (and presumably all transcoding). This probably worked via the plugin as well, don't think I ever tried it. But still - success  :)

Only shows the last one opened in the dashboard btw.

Haven't done any kind of guide for them yet, just clicked play on the channel.

Also haven't tried recording yet.

Edit - thats exciting, think I need to have a cup of tea and a bit of a lie down...

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 2

Never tried Media Port.  Does it use a plug in?

When you record this way does it save the files to the Emby Recording lib or to media portal?

You you playback recordings in progress?

arrbee99

Hmm. Seems like in ET this way it direct streams whereas via the plugin it direct plays.

Via NPVR plugin -

5bb81c4d9dd26_EmbyNPVRclient4ETlivetvvia

Direct -

5bb81c6f20fa0_EmbyNPVRclient5ETlivetvnop

Edited by arrbee99

That's something the team will have to look at since there probably shouldn't be a difference.

Do you have the logs for this in ET? Or can you try it again and then post the logs so it's at the end?

Logs should hopefully say why it thinks it needs to stream vs play.

I'll fire up ET and test this as well.

arrbee99

Hokey dokey, here's a log...

Restarted the server. In ET tried to play a channel via the plugin but it wouldn't play at all (time 15:46:33)  - spinning circle, so killed Electron via task manager (maybe didn't release tuner ?). Again tried in ET playing a channel via NextPVR plugin, direct played (time 15:50:00). Played same channel in ET without using plugin, direct streamed (time 15:52:00).

Attached remux log also.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-fce166e7-7e16-4487-b13a-0cdcaa63a459_1.txt

@@arrbee99 can you confirm this was the same channel 1 being played back?

The server is handling this differently and I'm not sure why from a quick look at the log.

@@Luke, @@ebr can one of you guys take a look at his log or the one I'm attaching which is his log above with everything removed except for the two blocks.

First direct plays

Second direct streams.

Why does one "HttpServer: HTTP GET" use TS while the other requests the manifest?

One thing clear from the logs is that the plug in has a lot more overhead.  Same request via IPTV are much faster then those via the plugin!  Every command took a lot longer to process going through the plugin.

embyserver.txt

Because you turned on stream looping.

How do you know this reading the log Luke?

Is that from this? ""RequiresLooping":true"

If so then what about "SupportsDirectStream":false,"SupportsDirectPlay"

as that is also different between the two methods of play.  Was this due to looping being turned on?

Edited by cayars

arrbee99

Oh yeah. True. That was easy. Turned it on as I'm still using NextPVR for a m3u8 source as well, and they keep stopping, so tried that but they still stop with it turned on.

How do you know this reading the log Luke?

Is that from this? ""RequiresLooping":true"

If so then what about "SupportsDirectStream":false,"SupportsDirectPlay"

as that is also different between the two methods of play.  Was this due to looping being turned on?

Yes that param will affect the supported play methods because we have to pull ffmpeg into the mix to accomplish the looping.

That makes sense.  Have you tried looping without using ffmpeg or is that a pain?

@@arrbee99 the stream just flat out stops?

I haven't had this issue at all.  I've been playing with it all day on two different computers.  One has NextPVR on it and the other accesses it over the local net.

I do not have the plug in installed while using this IPTV method.  Do you still have the plugin installed?  Wonder if they interfere with each other?

arrbee99

Usually it stops after maybe a minute and either sits there or goes back to the guide. This is the m3u8 stuff only, not the dvb-s stuff which is fine. It stops like this whether I bypass the plugin or use it.

So its not a new thing and not really related to this, except its interesting to see that it stops with or without the plugin i.e. I've always wondered whether the plugin was making it stop somehow, but apparently not. Far as I remember it worked OK for me when I put the iptv stuff straight into Emby, but I've been trying it from NextPVR instead as I get better artwork and stuff that way.

This testing is all on the same PC as the server. I still have the plug in installed. I doubt if they interfere if only because, as above, its not new behavior.

I'm enjoying playing with this setup.  I've started adding my HDHomeRun Prime tuners in with the OTA Quatro as well as a few IPTV channels.

I'm using the combine function for channels the tuners have in common such as ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Cozi, etc with the OTA tuner being used first.

Also been playing with reordering channel numbers some.

I've also added a few IPTV channels for News like Fox News, CNN, MSNBC as I always have something recording on those channels.  I've got these configures with the lowest priority for now so it uses the tuners in this order:

Quatro

Prime

IPTV

This allows me to take advantage of Multi-Rec on the Quatro to save tuners if not really needed.  It then falls back to the Prime for all channels I don't get OTA.  If all the Prime tuners are used then my news shows will fall over to the IPTV sources and still record.  I could put the IPTV sources before the Prime to save those channels but sometime IPTV breaks up a bit here and there and I'd rather get the pristine recordings from the Prime if possible. 

So far it's working great for me and from the standpoint of Emby. I can't tell it's not using the HDHomeRuns directly.

My only real "gripe" right now and maybe it's just me doing it wrong but when I'm in NextPVR and try to ungroup a set of channels it makes a mess of them.  I haven't figured out how to regroup them properly.  Need to play more with that advanced functionality.

Usually it stops after maybe a minute and either sits there or goes back to the guide. This is the m3u8 stuff only, not the dvb-s stuff which is fine. It stops like this whether I bypass the plugin or use it.

Ah ok, so this is pure IPTV giving you issues correct?

Have you tried playing them back in VLC to see if this also has the stopping issue?  If so, it's probably the provider or severe Internet latency or something out of your hands.

arrbee99

Yes, just IPTV.

Just having a quick play of the same channel as above (the IPTV version) and its playing fine so far, and it used to play when played directly in Emby and when played in NextPVR directly, so something when NextPVR sends it to Emby I guess.

Spaceboy

Never tried Media Port. Does it use a plug in?

When you record this way does it save the files to the Emby Recording lib or to media portal?

You you playback recordings in progress?

mediaportal finds what streams are available during setup and then makes the streams available to emby. Emby does everything else so all functionality including in progress works. I tried npvr, there was something I didn’t like about it and someone showed me how I could do the same, albeit with a little more complicated setup, with MP

That's good info @@Spaceboy.

One of the things I'm looking for is flexibility and tuner priority.  Tell me if you think MP can handle something like this.

Quatro 4 tuner OTA with Premium TV

Prime(s) for cable lineup

So let's say the Quatro gets ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox plus of course additional channels

The Quatro with Premium TV will also have ESPN, Hallmark, USA, LifeTime, etc

Prime with cable gets every channel the Quatro has plus additional.

Now living in the real world I find OTA as good or better then cable so I want this tuner to have higher priority except for ABC which is fringe.

*So for example CBS, NBC, Fox should get used from OTA before Cable but ABC should get used from cable first then OTA

Cable PQ/reliability is better then Premium TV so I want cable used first with Premium TV channels like Hallmark, ESPN used secondary from the Quatro.

So in a nutshell some channels on the Quatro should get a higher priority then cable while other channels coming from the Quatro should be backup to the Prime (Cable).

Then there is IPTV which NextPVR supports which can be in the mix as well.

Is that type of setup/priority scheme available in Media Portal?

Do I take it version 1 of MP should be used?

Go on vacation and look what I miss..

Searching for tuner pooling I run across this novel idea. I haven't read all the posts but I'll catch up.

I may need to make another thread but if I push into tuning 5 channels Emby doesn't roll into the second Quatro to grab one but puts the request through to the first Quatro and runs a spinner on whatever client made the fifth request.

It sounds like this may be the solution given the state of ServerWMC at present..

Of course maybe my issue here is already known by @@Luke ?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Go on vacation and look what I miss..

Searching for tuner pooling I run across this novel idea. I haven't read all the posts but I'll catch up.

I may need to make another thread but if I push into tuning 5 channels Emby doesn't roll into the second Quatro to grab one but puts the request through to the first Quatro and runs a spinner on whatever client made the fifth request.

It sounds like this may be the solution given the state of ServerWMC at present..

Of course maybe my issue here is already known by @@Luke ?

You have 2 Quatros setup in Emby?  I don't remember seeing that in your setup.

This should definitely work as is, out of the box.  PTV could possibly be causing some quick.

I can help you diagnose this during our next teamviewer session if you want.

I've got multiple primes, quatro and iptv and it "rolls" properly to the first available tuner with that channel.

The method described in this thread has been working fine for me so far and could very well keep you from even needing the use of the 2nd quatro if the multiple channels you record are on the same mux.

You have 2 Quatros setup in Emby? I don't remember seeing that in your setup.

This should definitely work as is, out of the box. PTV could possibly be causing some quick.

I can help you diagnose this during our next teamviewer session if you want.

I've got multiple primes, quatro and iptv and it "rolls" properly to the first available tuner with that channel.

The method described in this thread has been working fine for me so far and could very well keep you from even needing the use of the 2nd quatro if the multiple channels you record are on the same mux.

I just added the second Quatro in the last few days so it's there now. What is meant by the same Mux? Same frequency, different sub channel?

Work has me heading out at 5am right now but if I get going early enough I will be able to do a remote session very early..

Yep  Same frequency, different sub channels.

For example in the Philadelphia OTA market where I'm located I have:

17.1 MyTV
17.2 Antenna
17.3 This TV
17.4 Comet
29.1 Fox
29.2 Movies!
29.3 Light TV
29.4 BuzzR

The 17s all share one mux and the 29s share another mux.  If you look at the box below on the left you'll see Quatro tuner 0-1 (1 tuner) supporting recording of all 4 17s at the same time.  Tuner 1-1 is being used to record all 4 29 channels.  That would still leave 2 tuners open for other recordings of OTA or PTV.

I'm also showing some other channels being recorded as well but you get the idea just from the 17s and 29s as just described. In the boxes below I'm showing my most ideal situation using one Quatro where I could record/watch from 14 different stations at the same time.

5bb7906d12db4_dumb2.png

How useful this would be depends on how often you actually watch or record the various sub channels.

If you also have cable and IPTV you can use device priorities to do some additional advanced setups.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1