Question about audio

rawdrewage

rawdrewage

Why transcode ac3 to AAC when I am watching on my TV through a roku that has no issues playing back ac3? 

Unless I am watching on a browser, my other devices have no issue playing back ac3 which would save a little cpu and sound better. I am running Emby server for FreeBSD.

Thanks.

Why transcode ac3 to AAC when I am watching on my TV through a roku that has no issues playing back ac3? 

Unless I am watching on a browser, my other devices have no issue playing back ac3 which would save a little cpu and sound better. I am running Emby server for FreeBSD.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Dolby is required for 5.1 and 2.0. So it isn't just the stereo you want. The Roku does not pay for licensing of the Dolby Laboratories properties. This means these codecs cannot be understood by the Roku. It has to pass these to the TV/AVR. So your TV or AVR has to understand this to decode the audio and produce sound, otherwise you would hear silence. The app can detect this "pass-through" support for both Dolby and DTS. The rest of the codecs can be decoded on the device and regardless of stereo or surround use in these codecs will correctly produce sound in both stereo and surround. Pass-through codecs do not have this ability. Your Roku settings must have Dolby (don't use Auto) listed in the HDMI settings of your Roku. Make sure you have done this too.

Can you also provide an ffmpeg log of when this occured. That would be helpful too. Thanks.

• Like 1

rawdrewage

I did not expect such a fast response. Thanks!

It was one of the HBO channels (I thought) and the Weather Channel but I am unable to reproduce the problem at this point. My provider switched the stream they send to AAC so it is not an issue at this point.

ROKU can pass AC3 to a receiver such as mine and my receiver decodes it. When I am watching one of my mp4 movies with ac3 it plays fine.At this point I have no live tv channels I am aware of that use AC3 strangely enough. Not sure why my provider is transcoding to AAC instead of leaving the ac3 alone. Even my roku tv can play back ac3, natively. The only time I need it decoded is when I am watching on my PC or phone.

I will grab the logs if I see this behavior again. Thanks for all the info.

I did not expect such a fast response. Thanks!

It was one of the HBO channels (I thought) and the Weather Channel but I am unable to reproduce the problem at this point. My provider switched the stream they send to AAC so it is not an issue at this point.

ROKU can pass AC3 to a receiver such as mine and my receiver decodes it. When I am watching one of my mp4 movies with ac3 it plays fine.At this point I have no live tv channels I am aware of that use AC3 strangely enough. Not sure why my provider is transcoding to AAC instead of leaving the ac3 alone. Even my roku tv can play back ac3, natively. The only time I need it decoded is when I am watching on my PC or phone.

I will grab the logs if I see this behavior again. Thanks for all the info.

What model of Roku is this? I am suspect the secondary audio stream limit might be incorrectly affecting you. I have just submitted a pull request to the app that may solve this. Stay tuned.

Edited by speechles

I am using a roku ultimate and two roku tv's. 

Thanks for all the help.

The problem was likely not allowing direct play from the secondary audio stream. This is now allowed in my pull request. If/when ebr adds this you will get your playback corrected. Apologies for the interruption. This is an evolving process that will ultimately make it easier for maintenance of these sections, as the app now detects everything for the most part directly from your device. Stay tuned for the next beta releases of the Roku app.