Automatic version grouping for movies

MikePlanet

... as I was tired of manually grouping all my movie versions into groups after each recreation of the db, I created a plugin to help with that. 

The use case is having movies, that belong together spread around and not being able to easily match the emby naming conventions, but still having the desire to present them as one item with multiple versions.

The plugin works similar to the auto boxsets, but does the "movie versions grouping" - it will group all movies based on their TMDB id into one item, regardless of where they're placed and how they're named.

I made that for myself - however, if anybody is interested, attached is a plugin that solves this issue.

Attached version is for current 3.6.0.49 beta Server, do NOT use it with stable release!

Plugin is alpha state, you should only use it, if you are willing to backup your db (there is no way to revert the changes otherwise!) and manually put the dll in the server plugin directory.

Do not use it in your production environment before having tested in a test environment that you're fine with what it does - seriously! ;-).

Note: There is a known bug in the web GUI presentation which is described here, which needs to be fixed on emby side. 

Edit: the mentioned display bug in BoxSets is fixed in Emby now, thanks Luke.

Dude, thank you so much for this addon. My OCD was spiking uncontrollably!

Working now :D 

bugmenot

I love it. Great PlugIn.

It would be nice, if in the selection dialog the quality of the movie would be displayed.

My structure:

720p -> Aladdin 2019 - > Alladin (2019).mkv

1080p -> Aladdin 2019 - > Alladin (2019).mkv

2160p -> Aladdin 2019 - > Alladin (2019).mkv

5e5864a543536_001.jpg

5e5864b3acfd4_002.jpg

I love it. Great PlugIn.

It would be nice, if in the selection dialog the quality of the movie would be displayed.

My structure:

720p -> Aladdin 2019 - > Alladin (2019).mkv

1080p -> Aladdin 2019 - > Alladin (2019).mkv

2160p -> Aladdin 2019 - > Alladin (2019).mkv

5e5864a543536_001.jpg

5e5864b3acfd4_002.jpg

It would have to be in the file name for that to happen.

WoodyJ007

+1 for this. I've come from Plex and it seems very strange this is not a standard feature. There are posts from 2015 asking for this.

It already knows the title it's linked to, movie poster, movie info etc.. so duplicates seems more like a bug to me. Saying it's a naming issue doesn't make sense. Especially as Plex does this near perfectly for years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
M3th0s

Morning all

I seem to have encountered an issue, and wondering if this is the plugin creating it.

I have a Movies library. Under it I might have Kids, Documentaries, etc. I also have 4K under this same library. I've added all these libraries and as expected the plugin did its work and grouped the movies correctly. However, I have some users that do not have the capability to play 4K and therefore under permissions I disabled their access to the 4K folder under the Movies folder. This in turn did nothing. They could still see and play the 4K version.

Thinking it was a library issue, I removed 4K from under Movies and created a brand new library called "Movies-4K". I then set the right permissions for the users and lo and behold, they could still see the 4K versions under the movies that had them. If I went into the "Movies-4K" library I could not only see the 4K versions of these movies but also the 1080p versions.

Can anyone replicate this, and most importantly, is there a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just seen someone back a few posts that had the same issue. It seems the plugin groups everything independently of what libraries they're located on. This would actually be fine if Emby folder restrictions still applied to users. They don't. Doesn't matter what boxes are ticked at user permissions level, they still get access to the movies in any folder (if these movies have multiple copies). 

EDIT2: I'm also not the first person complaining about this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71896-multiple-version-selections/page-3

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55013-default-multiple-version-selection/

If the auto version selection worked I wouldn't have to worry as my advise is usually leave the bitrate settings to auto. However I'm getting people with phones playing 4k versions and transcoding the hell outta them.

Luke, mikeplanet, is there anyway you guys could have a look at this? I don't need users creating heavy load on my server because they're trying to transcode a 4k file when they don't even have a TV or device that can play it. This coupled with the fact that Emby is in fact not auto-selecting the best quality snowballs into a big issue.

Thanks in advance

Edited by M3th0s

Morning all

I seem to have encountered an issue, and wondering if this is the plugin creating it.

I have a Movies library. Under it I might have Kids, Documentaries, etc. I also have 4K under this same library. I've added all these libraries and as expected the plugin did its work and grouped the movies correctly. However, I have some users that do not have the capability to play 4K and therefore under permissions I disabled their access to the 4K folder under the Movies folder. This in turn did nothing. They could still see and play the 4K version.

Thinking it was a library issue, I removed 4K from under Movies and created a brand new library called "Movies-4K". I then set the right permissions for the users and lo and behold, they could still see the 4K versions under the movies that had them. If I went into the "Movies-4K" library I could not only see the 4K versions of these movies but also the 1080p versions.

Can anyone replicate this, and most importantly, is there a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just seen someone back a few posts that had the same issue. It seems the plugin groups everything independently of what libraries they're located on. This would actually be fine if Emby folder restrictions still applied to users. They don't. Doesn't matter what boxes are ticked at user permissions level, they still get access to the movies in any folder (if these movies have multiple copies). 

EDIT2: I'm also not the first person complaining about this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71896-multiple-version-selections/page-3

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55013-default-multiple-version-selection/

If the auto version selection worked I wouldn't have to worry as my advise is usually leave the bitrate settings to auto. However I'm getting people with phones playing 4k versions and transcoding the hell outta them.

Luke, mikeplanet, is there anyway you guys could have a look at this? I don't need users creating heavy load on my server because they're trying to transcode a 4k file when they don't even have a TV or device that can play it. This coupled with the fact that Emby is in fact not auto-selecting the best quality snowballs into a big issue.

Thanks in advance

Really would like to use this plugin or have it native in emby but with that issue it is not possible for me just yet.

It’s been resolved in the latest public version of emby :)

ah, fantastic! I will install the plugin now then! thank you

• 1 month later...
M3th0s

Only tested it with the latest public.

Kinda hoping devs merge this into main branch so we don't have to rely on a plugin. No idea how often this is kept updated.

• 2 weeks later...
spaceman07

hello.. is this plugin ok to be used with 4.4.2.0?

i do not see a version for that.. thanks

Incarniac

hello.. is this plugin ok to be used with 4.4.2.0?

Yep - I'm using the latest one from the first post and it's been working fine for many Emby versions, including 4.4.2.0.

As M3th0s says above, I too do hope the devs do merge into the app itself.

spaceman07

Just to clarify my understanding..

Movies (Remux)

Remux/Movies-4K/1917/1917.mkv

Remux/Movies/1917/1917.mkv

Movies 4-K

Movies-4K/1917/1917.mkv

Movies

Movies/1917/1917.mkv

Will this plugin just merge the first 2 in the remux and leave all the rest alone? I would like to keep them in separate libraries so then i can remove certain libraries from users that can stream 4K for example.

Thanks

lorac

Just to clarify my understanding..

Movies (Remux)

Remux/Movies-4K/1917/1917.mkv

Remux/Movies/1917/1917.mkv

Movies 4-K

Movies-4K/1917/1917.mkv

Movies

Movies/1917/1917.mkv

Will this plugin just merge the first 2 in the remux and leave all the rest alone? I would like to keep them in separate libraries so then i can remove certain libraries from users that can stream 4K for example.

Thanks

It will merge all of them. It doesn't matter if the movies are in different libraries.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

M3th0s

It will merge all of them. It doesn't matter if the movies are in different libraries.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

This is correct. Doesn’t matter what library they’re on they’ll all be merged. On the plus side, if you’re worried about ppl accessing 4K without being able to play it, remember emby allows for more granular control of folders at user level.

As an example I have all my movies (including 4K) under one single library (Movies), but only give access to my 4K folders to users than can direct play it so I don’t put strain on the server.

This way anyone that can play and has access to the 4K folder should default to the 4K file under one movie whereas all other only see 1080p and below.

Hope this makes sense :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
zerodayz

This is a great plugin. Can it be updated to work with the latest versions of Emby, or make it future-proof? It's failing for me on the latest beta. 

2020-05-24 21:12:21.251 Error App: Error getting connection info
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 4.5.0.11
        Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
        Operating system: Unix 5.3.0.50300
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        User Interactive: True

Many thanks!!

M3th0s

This is a great plugin. Can it be updated to work with the latest versions of Emby, or make it future-proof? It's failing for me on the latest beta. 

2020-05-24 21:12:21.251 Error App: Error getting connection info
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 4.5.0.11
        Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
        Operating system: Unix 5.3.0.50300
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        User Interactive: True

Many thanks!!

This really need to be implemented by default on emby as an option.

It was done for TV shows, don't see why it can't be done for movies.

Still working on mine, but I'm on stable release. Guessing you're on a beta?

zerodayz

I agree, defo needs to be baked in. And per library too. I don't want it to merge my 4K movies in the 4K lib with the HD lib. I happen to have a few mounts with legitimate duplicates. Plex handles this by default. 

And yes, beta here. Might have to go `stable`. 

M3th0s

I agree, defo needs to be baked in. And per library too. I don't want it to merge my 4K movies in the 4K lib with the HD lib. I happen to have a few mounts with legitimate duplicates. Plex handles this by default. 

And yes, beta here. Might have to go `stable`. 

I don't see an issue with merging across libraries?

Why would you want it to be on a per library basis? I just merge all my movies into one single library then use folder access restrictions to give users access to 4K based on their devices/capabilities.

Find it easier, but that's my opinion.

zerodayz

Not sure how to do that, but will look into it. I do like to see my 4K movies, but perhaps I can filter for them...