Automatic version grouping for movies

MikePlanet

Hi @@MikePlanet, any chance we could customize the resulting version names? Without Emby-supported suffixes the versions end up either the same ("Title") or it extracts some piece of the filename. Emby has all the info about the file, so it could easily say "4K", "HD" depending on the video quality.

It could be an option in the plugin, I could try and help implementing it if you'd like?

• Like 2

adam.niescierowicz

Hi,

I am running 4.3.1.0 Stable I would love to try this plugin, is it possible on this version? if so, which one do I install?

Many Thanks for this great work! I really miss being able to identify duplicate movies!

There is no problem with running on current stable.

@@Luke

how many people do you think have to express interest in the plugin to add functionality to emby?

Hi @@MikePlanet, any chance we could customize the resulting version names? Without Emby-supported suffixes the versions end up either the same ("Title") or it extracts some piece of the filename. Emby has all the info about the file, so it could easily say "4K", "HD" depending on the video quality.

It could be an option in the plugin, I could try and help implementing it if you'd like?

Very good Idea!

But I prefer more „labels“, not only 4K and HD. Also the Versionname like „Extended, Directors“ would be nice...

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'd think the most robust would be a list of regular expressions to label mappings that are matched in order.

For example:

\.2160p\..*((DIRECTOR|THEATRICAL|EXTENDED)[^\.]+)\.   → 4K \1
\.2160p\.                                             → 4K
\.1080p\..*((DIRECTOR|THEATRICAL|EXTENDED)[^\.]+)\.   → HD \1
\.1080p\.                                             → HD 1080p
\.720p\.                                              → HD 720p
\.(576|480)p\.                                        → SD

This could also be made into a list of expressions that are matched and all collected into a complete label:

\.2160p\.                                             → 4K
\.1080p\.                                             → HD 1080p
\.720p\.                                              → HD 720p
\.(576|480)p\.                                        → SD

\.HDR\.                                               → HDR

\.((DIRECTOR|THEATRICAL|EXTENDED)[^\.]+)\.            → \1

The resulting label could be "HD 1080p HDR EXTENDED", for example.

Edited by Saviq
  • Like 2

rapteev

There is no problem with running on current stable.

@@Luke

how many people do you think have to express interest in the plugin to add functionality to emby?

rapteev

I Agree.

There is a lot of people expressing to see this on emby but the developers keep ignoring it.

Anyway happy new year to all and I wish we can see this implemented on emby asap.

• 4 weeks later...
Incarniac

Another +1. Evaluating Emby at the moment, and this is something I'd like as part of Emby itself, without needing a plugin for it.

MikePlanet

Hi @@Saviq,

this plugin does nothing within the media scanning process, it runs after emby has done that ("postprocess") and simply groups entries that have the same tmdb or imdb metadata together, regardless of their name or versions.

To achieve what you suggest, you'd either need to change or override the media scanner process or change the display routines, that do present you with the version labels.

So it is a different scope. Maybe it is possible to create a metadata plugin, that get's versions via a user configurable regex from the filename, that the scanner process of emby can use, but if I remember correctly, versions are only set during the file scanning process, not the metadata, so this would not work. @@Luke, can you comment on this?

To make it clear: It makes no sense to set any stuff like versions in a postprocess plugin, as the data would be overwritten on the next scan.

We're working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will happen eventually. For now we have the plugin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ntilagoa

We're working as hard and as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as possible. Thanks for the feedback.

I am sure that you are, but at least you can talk to the plugin developer and try an intermediate solution in a way that the plugin do not broke each time there is a new emby version.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...
thegrunge

Je confirme qu'il fonctionne toujours avec la version stable 4.3.1.0 ! Merci c'est tout tout a fait ce qu'il manquait :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
forge-crayon

There are certain libraries I'd like to exclude from grouping, could the plugin be updated to support this?

Thank you for the plugin

Hi,

I have a questions about this plugin :-)

example...

I have 10 HD Movies & 10 UHD Movies

Currently I have an HD Library and a UHD Library, currently I see 10 Movies in each library.

If I were to use this plugin...

1, would I put both media files into 1 movie folder?

2, what does Emby/this plugin default to when I select a movie that is available in both HD & UHD

3, Could I restrict UHD from streaming remotely?

Thank you! I would love to use this (if possible) to remove both my UHD Movie & TV Libraries :-)

Happy2Play

Hi,

I have a questions about this plugin :-)

example...

I have 10 HD Movies & 10 UHD Movies

Currently I have an HD Library and a UHD Library, currently I see 10 Movies in each library.

If I were to use this plugin...

1, would I put both media files into 1 movie folder?

2, what does Emby/this plugin default to when I select a movie that is available in both HD & UHD

3, Could I restrict UHD from streaming remotely?

Thank you! I would love to use this (if possible) to remove both my UHD Movie & TV Libraries :-)

From my understanding the plugin merges the item without having the server naming structure requirements.

There currently is no such thing as Default version.  Every client will choose its most capable version.

There currently is no options to restrict version content.

It won't work for TV unfortunately only movies. You don't need both movies in the same folder. It's a great plugin.

Afternoon all!

Will try this when I get home as I've just posted a question about multifolder support and the fact this is not supported for movie on emby.

Having just come from plex I'm astounded this is not a default thing.

Can the devs please look at implementing this on emby natively, as some of us have movies spread over different drives that cannot be manipulated/are read only and it doesn't make sense for emby to go and create a separate version of a movie when it can just display various versions.

Is this still working btw?

Thanks in advance!

It won't work for TV unfortunately only movies. You don't need both movies in the same folder. It's a great plugin.

TV already has a native option for this. Toggle advanced options on your library screen and tick "automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders"