Automatic version grouping for movies

MikePlanet

MikePlanet

So I'm answering my own question, the latest AutoCollections is working with the most current beta.

It works well, the only issue I see is that it if i have  4K and 1080p version of a file, it groups those with together even though I have created 2 separate libraries in Emby: 4K and Movies (1080p/720p).  So in my 4k library all versions show up as options (1080p) and in my Movies Llibrary, all versions (including 4k) show up as options.

... that's how it is supposed to work - it should group all movie versions together to one - let the user select resolution via playbackoptions. You might use a filter to find the ones, that are e.g. 4K?

jhr1948

@MikePlanet  Thanks for your help.  I forgot to ask again, you urge not to use the plugin with a stable release.  Your original post was a year ago.  Is it safe to use with stable releases now?

MikePlanet

@MikePlanet  Thanks for your help.  I forgot to ask again, you urge not to use the plugin with a stable release.  Your original post was a year ago.  Is it safe to use with stable releases now?

I am using it since that time and never had issues. However, because the plugin does write updates to the db I prefer to have a warning in place - so it is up to the user to decide to use it or not. I would recommend to take a backup of your db - so in case you're unhappy you can revert to the state before.

I tried it with a small database (like 50 movies) with 4.2.1.0 (stable), i worked like a charm ! 

I'm gonna build my full database now and make a backup (just in case) and test it :)

Thanks for that very useful plugin !

rapteev

If there's enough demand for it, sure.

Really?

Do you really think that there ate not enough demand for a feature that should come by default since the early versions just like plex does.

There are a lot of us who pay for your software and don’t want to be dependent of 1 or 2 votes to see a good feature implemented.

Don’t you think is a good idea?

If so , why don’t you just implement it?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that this should be part of emby. It's such a useful feature and will save hours of time not having to manage multiple movies.

Happy2Play

When or if this is ever a core setting it would have to be a optional setting.  But think it should remain a plugin.

When or if this is ever a core setting it would have to be a optional setting.  But think it should remain a plugin.

I disagree with you.

It should be implemented the exact same way that it has been done for TV series -> native and automatic.

I do not see any reason to do it differently.

If there's enough demand for it, sure.

And that demand is gauged based on the number of people who have liked Mike Planet's original post in this thread?

In any case, adding my voice: this is a fantastic feature, and should be integrated into Emby as an optional feature if possible.

I agree that this should be part of emby. It's such a useful feature and will save hours of time not having to manage multiple movies.

I agree. This should be implemented as soon as possible.

This is a top feature and I don’t understand why it is not yet implemented.

Anyway here my +1 for this .

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I found a bug on this great plugin.

When I used the plugin for grouping: "movie extras" are noch shown under the movie.

Instead the extras are shown in the movie libary.

When I used the "naming convention" for grouping: the exras are correct shown under the respective movie,

Exemple that not work (used plugin for grouping)

• /Movies
    • /Avengers Endgame
      • Avengers.Endgame.1080p.mkv
      • Avengers.Endgame.2160p.mkv
      • /extras
        • Behind the Scene.mkv
        • Interview.mkv

Example that worked: (used naming convention for grouping)

• /Movies
    • /Avengers Endgame
      • Avengers Endgame - 1080p.mkv
      • Avengers Endgame - 2160p.mkv
      • /extras
        • Behind the Scene.mkv
        • Interview.mkv

• 4 weeks later...
MikePlanet

I think this is related to how emby reads the data and should not be related to the grouping of the plugin. Make a test without the plugin and you probably have the same issue - the plugin only groups same movies into items.

I use such structure as below and this works fine.

/Movies

• /Avengers Endgame
    • Avengers.Endgame.1080p.mkv
      • /extras
      • Behind the Scene.mkv
      • Interview.mkv
      •  
  • /Avengers Endgame (v2)
    • Avengers.Endgame.2160p.mkv
      • /extras
        • Behind the Scene.mkv
        • Interview.mkv

The problem with your first example is that you have extras in the folder and the movies aren't properly named as they are in the second example.

If you have multiple movies in the same folder they will be treated as seperate movies unless they are named properly.

The plugin won't override those settings.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

shrouski

This plugin is brilliant, I was dug out on here for being rude about it being a standard feature a while back, glad I finally found this.

The one addition I'd love to see is to only apply it to certain libraries.

• 2 weeks later...
deiniol39

This is just what I was looking for, lucky I made a search first before playing with my collection. Exellent Work. Agree this should be on the default plugin for emby..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am running 4.3.1.0 Stable I would love to try this plugin, is it possible on this version? if so, which one do I install?

Many Thanks for this great work! I really miss being able to identify duplicate movies!