can't stream films where chapter extration information is incorrect

wabbit

wabbit

i've got quite a few films in my collection that I've noticed that the chapter extraction seems to have gone a little odd and then the film wont stream back to mobile devices. All films are main movie vob rips

i.e. Alen (1979). MB3 picks the film length as 112min and then has a box in the web interface for 23 chapters, but by chapter 11 (50mins) it has an image of the credits rolling and the rest of the boxes are blank. any attempt to play the film past that point just ends the play back.

I've tried re-ripping some of the films and getting MB3 to re-scan the films but still get the same problem. along with re-installing MB3.

any ideas?

p.s. running server version: 3.0.5211.41935 and if you try to watch the film in MBT the playbar is always at the end and you can't fast-forward or skip chapters

Edited by wabbit

Tikuf

It means that the playable vobs are out of number order and the decode time stamps are not sequential.

By vob rips what do you mean?

Just the vobs that contain the main movie no ifo files?

Reworked folder rip with altered ifo files?

If you can show me the contents of the folder via a screen shot or a text list please.

wabbit

Main movie rip using either dvdfab or dvdshrink and left in video_ts folder structure with

Video_ts.bup

Video_ts.ifo

Vts_01_0.bup

Vts_01_0.ifo

vts_01_1.vob vts_01_2.vob etc inside.. All my films and tv shows are in the same format and only have a problem with a small number of them, although I have found 20 with the problem recently out of a 595 film collection.

Tikuf

Can you please zip and upload video_ts.ifo and Vts_01_0.ifo from one of the problem films (where Vts_01 is the main movie)

Thanks

Tikuf

Ok we should be finding the correct vobs (judging by the ifo files) There is actually no way for us to determine the play order of those vobs.

It should be

VTS_01_0.VOB (we miss this if it is under 200meg as it is usually the menu)
VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
etc

Can you tell me if these dvd's you are having issue with are infact played in that order?
*it is extremely rare to find otherwise.

If not I highly recommend that you convert them to mkv.

wabbit

For that particular film there are 4 .vob files. With the first 3 being 1gb each and the 4th 314mb.

They seem to play back ok in mbc,

Tikuf

Mbc is direct play we are transcoding them so it's not apples to apples.

Can you open the library explorer and browse to that film and copy the right hand screen to a text file and link me to it please.

Can you also check the playback order of the vobs and make sure it should be

VTS_01_1.VOB
VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

Thanks

wabbit

bit of a silly question but, whats the "Library explorer?"

the media info in the web interface is reported as:

Video
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level8
Resolution720x576
Aspect Ratio4:3
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate73274 kbps
Pixel Formatyuv420p

Audio
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample Rate48000 khz
DefaultNo

Subtitle
CodecDVDSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Subtitle
CodecDVDSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo

Tikuf

In the taskbar icon  (near the clock) right click on the mb server icon and select library viewer

Tikuf

Ah cool.

Well from that file you can see that

"PlayableStreamFileNames": [
        "VTS_01_1.VOB",
        "VTS_01_2.VOB",
        "VTS_01_3.VOB",
        "VTS_01_4.VOB"
    ],

So the only thing i can think of is that some thing is going awry with the decode time stamps in those files when we do the concat or that the vobs do not play in the order of 1,2,3,4 . The former I cant do much about you can check the latter by playing them and seeing if 2 follows on from 1 etc (renumbering will likely break the folder rip playback) so I would suggest you make it in to a 1:1 mkv. If you are not keeping the full disk then there is no reason why you should not make them into an mkv it removes a bunch of complexity with transcode playback.
Edited by Tikuf

wabbit

thanks for looking at this for me.. its quite odd as I backup all my dvds the same way with just the main movie and this problem only seems to happen with a random bunch of them.. this particular film I can't  transcode past about 15mins.

i'll have to find a guide and give converting them into mkv's a go.

wabbit

update: I've checked the first 100 films in my collection and 41 of them this issue. I've re-ripped 6 of them from disc to mkv with a direct pass-through setting and they now play fine. next test is to convert a 'problem' film to mkv from its current files without re-ripping and see what happens.

Edited by wabbit