Recommendations on new server

Sergio

I'm opening this in the hope I get suggestions in how to overcome some changes that I have to make in my homelab.

Currently I have an all-in-one debian server that makes it all. It's based on a Supermicro X10SL7-F with an integrated sas board for a total of 14 ports, of which I am using 10 for two arrays. The cpu is an e3-1231v3 and has 32gb ECC avail. The host manages the NAS part and then has vbox and docker provision. I run emby in a docker container.

I must say that I'm obsessed by the idea of running the homelab on solar panels, so I leave this server powered down for the most of the time.

Recently, I had a power surge and lost half of my network so I replaced it with a decent 10gbe switch, unifi aps, and implemented vlans. And there is where the change necessity arrives. I started a pfsense/opnsense implementation for a router/firewall replacement. I had configured it in an old htpc mitx rig I had lying around but I liked it so much.

Then I thought it could be nice to run something more on this rig, as it will be 24h/365d on. For example the unify controller and a small nas for those things you always need. Like portable apps and music. I currently have to turn the server on for playing music.

So I thought I would need an EXSI machine that runs all the above. And why not, also emby for playing music. I would leave the supermicro for virtual machines and movies/series storage.

I wanted the new rig to be hw transcoding capable (i3-7100/i3-8100) but with this supposed "processors" shortage I'm really tired of searching. So I came to Ryzens (R3 1200).

I investigated and found that almost all ryzen boards and cpus support ecc memory but that my options doesn't seem to have integrated gpu for hw transcoding.

Also I want to be able to mount a 10gbe card on the new mobo, but all the mitx boards only have one pcie.

The fact I that at this point, as ryzens also support ecc, I thought of completely replace the supermicro.

Then I saw that my cpu suports aes-ni (for firewall) and can't hw transcode, but I could snap-in a low end gfx card for it (is it true?), redo the host, leaving it on and call it a day.

So my options are:

Get an intel board+cpu combo (Asrock h370m itx/ac + i3-8100) put on it router+half the nas and emby, and leave supermicro.

Get a Ryzen platform (GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-D3H + R3-1200) move all of possible to become new server (hw transcoding??)

Get a gfx card (gt 1030) for that server with pass trou on the rebuilt hipervisor and leave it 24h on. (gfx transcoding possible??)

What is your opinion? What path do you recommend? Do you know if hw transcoding is possible by ryzen 3 1200 or by adding a gfx card to that xeon?

Thanks!

legallink

I would take the Ryzen over the i3, but is there a reason you are going so low powered and older model? Ryzen 2 is out and I would move in that direction if your planning on holding the hardware for a while. Also any reason you are taking such small motherboards? If you’re adding a 10gbe card, I would make sure the board will support it.

If you really want hw transcoding it’s best to go with intel currently. Gfx transcoding is limited to two steams at a time.