Subtitle extraction questions

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hey guys. I wasn't sure which section to post my questions so I figured I would start here.

Is there anyone that currently uses software to extract subtitles from ripped movie files? If so, this question is directed at you.

Here is my flow line - I use makemkv to rip my Blurays. Within that program you can select the subtitle files. There are  check boxes for the subtitle and "forced only". The resulting rip will contain all subtitles both regular and forced (if they apply for that particular movie). 

What I end up running into is that depending on the playback client I am using I have to go in and figure out which of the 2 to 6 subtitle files is the forced only one. 

What I would like to do is extract the subtitle files and store the one file that is forced only in the folder with the movie. I am currently trying to do this with MCEBuddy as a simple remux only and having it extract the files. However, I can't read the resulting .srt file with any text editor to see which one is the forced only file.

I don't want to use handbrake because I can't figure out a way to make it just do a simple remux and not re-encode the whole file which takes forever on my machine.

I have looked online and I see several different software options but sometimes I don't trust some random unknown program that may contain malware or other "bloat" and hopefully someone that already does this knows a good and reputable piece of software for this.

PenkethBoy

Ok

i do this for the files that have forced subtitles only

Most if not all that come from a Bluray rip are HDMV PGS subs - or similar which are image based subs

e.g

5bb69bad88bd6_Capture.jpg

Thats from MKVToolNix - if there are srt file streams it will show that in the codec column.

If they are srt files you can extract them via MKVToolNix

If they are PGS - you can extract them but the will be just the images and not much use as mks files

If the subtitles are forced they will have a tick in the forced track column

If you want to convert the PGS files to srt files you can do this but need a couple of other programs to do it

gMKVextractGUI - which will pull pgs subs stream from the MKV as a .sup file

SupRip - which allows you to convert sup files to srt - its part manual part auto process - there are also a couple of websites that will take the sup file and give you back a srt file for free as well but i find SupRip to give you better results and you have more control

MCEBuddy is probably just pulling the subtitle stream you specify and not converting it (possibly it cant) and what you see is what you get from MKVToolNix as a mks file.

Something like this?

5bb69e4d66b27_Capture2.jpg

Handbrake will always re-encode a file thats what its for.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks! Wow, that is a lot of information! I am going off to Google most of those terms you used as I had no idea what differences existed in what I thought was a simple subtitle file. lol

The files I am left with are srt files and yes, they look like the image you posted above.

Thanks again. I will play around with this tonight.

MndWrp

My usual workflow for this is easy

- rip everything using Makemkv

- extract the various pgs i want, as an mks with Mkvtoolnix

- drop the mks file in Subtitle Edit which converts the image based pgs format into the text based srt

The conversion isn't perfect, since the software has to 'invent' text, based on an image, but you can run a spellcheck afterwards and usually you end up with a pretty decent file.

Happy subbing

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

jasonmcroy

Thanks guys! I have been playing around with this tonight and it's working great. I appreciate the input.

Now to figure out how to get Emby to read the external subs. I have tried renaming, different settings in the web app but nothing seems to get it to work.

jasonmcroy

Thanks.

@@Luke - I did go there and looked at a few other threads were others were having issues as well, but I must still have something incorrect.

@@PenkethBoy - I used your suggested naming scheme and still nada.

Here is a screenshot of my folder:

post-106-0-62744900-1538747557_thumb.png

jasonmcroy

Update: Ok, it is working now for some reason. I did do a library scan, maybe that did it.

One other question: Does anyone know of a way to rip out the existing subs from the file permanently? 

PenkethBoy

RTM or a scan will pick them up

yes - MKVToolNix - have a read on the help but its easy

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks again @PenketBoy - That was really easy when I found a tutorial for it. 

jasonmcroy

I just wanted to thank you guys again because I have been playing around with this today and I am loving it! It's quite some manual work for my existing files that have forced subtitles but it will be worth it. At least not every one of my movies has this!

It has always bugged me to start a movie that I know has forced subs and not know which one to select that is the forced track. There is a great excel spreadsheet online that someone created and users keep adding to that lists movies with forced subs and which one of the 4-6 that makemkv may have listed is the one that is the forced track.

Now in the future when I rip a movie I will be able to do this then on a one by one basis. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
dfalt974

I use a script.

the script : 

- extract subtitles from movie

- create a folder

- move movie and subtitles inside

- move folder inside emby library path

I use a script.

the script : 

- extract subtitles from movie