Need confirmation on Next PVR/Emby functionality

Carlo

I've been playing with Next PVR and the Next PVR Plugin with Emby and it seems to work well except for a couple of things I see.

First if I schedule a recording in Emby it will show up on the Schedule but unlike native Emby tuner support the schedule doesn't show CURRENTLY recording items at the top of the schedule.  So I can't tell from Emby what is currently being recorded nor can I stop a recording this way.

In the EPG grid future recording will have a red dot but it disappears for any current recording.

On the admin dashboard it does not show any current recordings.  The only way I've found to know what is actually recording is to check NextPVR itself which isn't always an option if you don't have access to the server itself.

The recording tab is always empty and I get this as you need to use the Next Pvr Recordings "lib" instead.  However, when trying to playback recordings in progress the Emby clients only play to the point of time of the recording when you start playing it.  Example a 1 hour show that you start playing 15 minutes into the recording.  I can only play 15 minutes then it ends and you need to restart it again.  This is similar to pointing a library at the Next PVR recording directory.

I was excited to get multi record working on Next PVR and had a dozen shows recording on my Quatro testing this feature only to find these other limitations that out weigh the plugin's use.  Multi Record is the reason I'm trying to get this to work.

Am I missing something or is this the current functionality?

Thanks,

Carlo

Yes there will be quirks. Truthfully I want to just turn the plugin into a tuner source and use Emby's dvr. This way you get the multi-rec, and all the dvr settings just work.

• Like 1

Yes there will be quirks. Truthfully I want to just turn the plugin into a tuner source and use Emby's dvr. This way you get the multi-rec, and all the dvr settings just work.

Well, get on it.  LOL

I've read the threads where you've mentioned this idea before.  Seems like there are advantages and disadvantages to both.  For me and what I'm after either adding BDA/Multi Rec to Emby itself or just using Next PVR as the "dumb tuner" would work.  I myself don't want to interface with Next PVR once operational but want to use the functions of Emby.

Another thing I forgot to mention earlier is the guide update process and the fact that Next PVR changes the IDs on every guide refresh which then makes the IDs in Emby stale unless you work out a schedule to have Next PVR update then immediately update Emby.  Even then it could still burn you if you have items scheduled to record all day/night long.

If my thinking is correct in a nutshell you would just have Next PVR play the channels (no recording) and have Emby grab the stream and then process it as fit (live tv, saving to disk, etc) correct?

What is your tuner card brand/model?

I've got a few @@Diedrich,  this was a test using an HDHomeRun Quatro to test Multi-Rec and how the overall integration with Emby would be.  I also through in one HDHomeRun Prime with duplicate channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc) to test the priority feature in Next PVR to use the OTA tuner first then fall back to the Cable tuner for those common channels (worked fine).

I had 10 to 12 channels recording simultaneous for hours without a problem just from the 4 tuner Quatro which was awesome.  That would come in real handy for Sports on the weekends when football games can tie up a channel for 3.5 hours at a time.

Overall Next PVR works great by itself.  Emby works fine by itself (no multi-rec) but the two used in tandem have some "gotchas".

If my thinking is correct in a nutshell you would just have Next PVR play the channels (no recording) and have Emby grab the stream and then process it as fit (live tv, saving to disk, etc) correct?

That's what I would like to do which will greatly reduce troubleshooting and allow all emby features to just work.

• Like 3