Keeps trying to download existing subtitles

markdj
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

markdj

Hello,

not sure if it's the right forum, but in the server app I noticed lately that it keeps trying to download existing subtitles while there already are subtitles in the folders, correctly named (same as the show). Adding .eng to the filenames (since it has to search for English subtitles) doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

markdj

I'm currently at work so I'll provide a screenshot later but yesterday I renamed all Game of Thrones subtitles to include .eng but today I noticed in the dashboard that it tried to find subtitles for it anyway but failed due to an OpenSubtitles error.

Edited by markdj

markdj

Subtitles are already located in the folders and named correctly. I assume it shouldn't have to download subtitles once it notices that they are already there (and in the right language)? Wouldn't it just skip over them or does it recheck every episode/movie each time it checks for subtitles?

Happy2Play

Do the existing subtitles show in the media info for the media?

Happy2Play

Could it be the naming scheme you used?  Can you provide an example.

There is always an explanation. I am trying to walk him through figuring that out on his own, but without much detail in the examples it's difficult to do that.

• Like 1

markdj

I'm testing some things still, but I have no other examples and explanation then in the screenshot posted above. Will get back on this later.

Good day,

It happens to me before, and I learn the hard way, so I now day I do not enable subtitles settings/download.

I just posting here to confirm the issue for the OP.

My best

Well that advice is going to make him think that there's a problem. What I'm saying is that there isn't a problem, and once we take a detailed look at an example along with his subtitle download settings, then we'll see why.

Good day,

There is a problem (as I recall it), simply the emby server will do by over write your subtitle, not trying to scare the OP here, but this been reporting before by me, first it rename my already there subtitle, then simply later on it delete the subtitle in the movie folder and replace it with the new one, that 99% of the time not matching the movie (I mean here timing/delay fir the subtitle to display within the movie).

This test done from like 9 months ago, I do not know if you fix it or not, since I still trying to fixed my all subtitles that been replaced every time I have free time to do it, yes over 8000+ titles that have as well tv series within.

I really liked that option in the past, but scare to test it any more, but I should tho on my win10, as I am planing now with latest beta build.

My best

Have you compared the subtitles you have to your subtitle download settings?

I have. I have ticked Dutch recently (next to English), but will set it back to English for now to see if the problem remains (the issue was still there when I had just English, by the way).

Was set to English only. Dutch has been added just recently, but as I mentioned, the problem existed before I checked that language.

• 4 years later...
Mychale6563
On 10/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, Luke said:

Can you show a screenshot? Thanks.

Luke, I know this is an old issue, but I'm experiencing it now, and I do have plenty of screenshots I can show you. What is happening to me is that I'm downloading my content that includes the natural subtitles. My downloader names the subs VIDEONAME.ENG.srt, and the subtitles are always in sync. However, EMBY automatically downloads subs from Open Subtitles with the names of VIDEONAME.en.srt. And those subs are rarely in sync, but EMBY chooses those to play by default when playing the content back. And when you go to try to change the subtitles, there is only one subtitle listed for English (SRT). What is frustrating is why EMBY is downloading subtitles for content that already has a subtitle file in the directory. It makes no sense. It used to detect when a subtitle was already present and wouldn't download another one. I'm not sure what changed. I've included some screenshots, and I hope you will respond and help me.

In this screenshot, you can see that the .eng.srt files were created when the video file was. Then, when I copied the files over to the server, EMBY downloaded an additional subtitle .en.srt. I only want the one that was created at the same time as the video. Is there a way to stop EMBY from downloading subs when a subs file already exists in the media folder with the same language?

image.png.081b5050dd35d60ba38a95f0495dc3c1.png

In this screenshot, you can see that only one subtitle is showing, even though there are clearly two subtitles, as seen above, in the media folder.

image.png.a2a7ec4e1046ba7a725d2a538f8c2534.png

I've also included my EMBY Server version and it is up to date.

image.png.faf52d72120c13364ffb5cb28433f1db.png

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Let me know what other screenshots you need and I'll provide them asap!

Thank you,

Mychale

• Solution
GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Mychale6563 said:

Luke, I know this is an old issue, but I'm experiencing it now, and I do have plenty of screenshots I can show you. What is happening to me is that I'm downloading my content that includes the natural subtitles. My downloader names the subs VIDEONAME.ENG.srt, and the subtitles are always in sync. However, EMBY automatically downloads subs from Open Subtitles with the names of VIDEONAME.en.srt. And those subs are rarely in sync, but EMBY chooses those to play by default when playing the content back. And when you go to try to change the subtitles, there is only one subtitle listed for English (SRT). What is frustrating is why EMBY is downloading subtitles for content that already has a subtitle file in the directory. It makes no sense. It used to detect when a subtitle was already present and wouldn't download another one. I'm not sure what changed. I've included some screenshots, and I hope you will respond and help me.

In this screenshot, you can see that the .eng.srt files were created when the video file was. Then, when I copied the files over to the server, EMBY downloaded an additional subtitle .en.srt. I only want the one that was created at the same time as the video. Is there a way to stop EMBY from downloading subs when a subs file already exists in the media folder with the same language?

image.png.081b5050dd35d60ba38a95f0495dc3c1.png

In this screenshot, you can see that only one subtitle is showing, even though there are clearly two subtitles, as seen above, in the media folder.

image.png.a2a7ec4e1046ba7a725d2a538f8c2534.png

I've also included my EMBY Server version and it is up to date.

image.png.faf52d72120c13364ffb5cb28433f1db.png

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Let me know what other screenshots you need and I'll provide them asap!

Thank you,

Mychale

Your "eng" subtitles are wrongly named, you have underscore instead of dot in front of ISO language code there, hence making them invisible. Rename and Emby will not try to redownload them any more. 

• Thanks 1