Cannot restore db backup from an Emby 3.5.3 to a new install

ddurdle

ddurdle

I was able to restore from an Emby backup in 3.3.* releases into a new Emby build, but now that I'm taking an Emby 3.5.3 backup from one system to build another, I'm having no success.  When I go into the plugin to restore, I only get a swirling indicator and no details populate.

I've tried two backups from two different Emby 3.5.3 installs and same issue.  Trying to restore into a fresh Emby 3.5.3 install.

Logs attached.

5bb5056bcdbda_Screenshotat20181003140704

log4.txt

log3.txt

log2.txt

Log1.txt

ddurdle

Log4 is from after the fresh install and installing the backup and restore plugin, and restarting Emby

Log3 is from attempting first restore attempt with backup.  Restarted Emby to try again.

Log2 is from attempting second restore attempt with backup.  Restarted Emby to try again.

Log1 is from attempting first restore from another backup.

ddurdle

Update:  If I visit the dashboard using the fully qualified hostname:8096, the restore information populates.  If I revisit with the IP:8096, I get the swirling indicator the the restore information never populates.

I've enabled debug and attempting the restore.

ddurdle

The restore seems to be successful.  I'm doing a full scan and then some testing.

I have 3 more servers to build today.  Assuming I run into the same problem using the IP address, did you want me to enable debug and try via the machine's IP again?  Any other data to collect ?

ddurdle

Just to clarify, I'm using the public IP address.  I've had no problems using the IP address to do the restore in previous Emby installs in versions < 3.5.2.  Typically I do the restore of the backup while I'm waiting for the DNS to refresh with the updated records for the new machine.

No, he means when you are on the screen with the never-ending circle, open the browser debugging console and look for errors.

If in Chrome you hit ctrl-shift-J

ddurdle

Thanks, I tried in chromium, chrome and firefox.

I was trying quite a few more times.  Eventually I did a restart from command line (rather then from the restart button in emby).  And the restore info showed up and let me restore.

Is there something else at play here?  Is there some check perhaps to make sure premier is authenticated before restore will work?  Because it almost appears that I can play around for about 30 mins trying everything, then suddenly the dialog starts to work.

In < 3.5.2, I typically don't even load my premier key.  I restore and the premier key is restored as part of the restore.  In the two servers I built today, I added the premier key before attempting to restore.  And each time it didn't seem to help, but perhaps I had to wait until some time has passed before the ability to restore unlocked? 

I'm just grasping at straws here because I've done about 30 restores on new systems in the past.  All pretty much like clockwork -- can do them in my sleep.  But really having issues restoring with 3.5.3

ddurdle

I had gotten it to work prior to reading your comment on how to bring up the debug.

But I have more servers to build tomorrow and I'm going to run into the issue again, so I'll bring up the console as per your hot key suggestion, and report back here the findings.

okamitok

Did you bring up the console while the problem was occurring?

I am having the same issue and cannot restore.

FireFox:

TypeError: s is undefined[Learn More] datetime.js:1:183 

Chrome:

VM126:67 
Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at Object.renderUserData (<anonymous>:67:55)
    at <anonymous>:45:47

datetime.js?v=3.5.3.0:1
Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'match' of undefined
    at Object.parseISO8601Date (datetime.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at <anonymous>:31:83
    at Object.execCb (alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at defineModule (alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at Object.depFinished (alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1

Happy2Play

I am having the same issue and cannot restore.

FireFox:

TypeError: s is undefined[Learn More] datetime.js:1:183 

Chrome:

VM126:67 
Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at Object.renderUserData (<anonymous>:67:55)
    at <anonymous>:45:47

datetime.js?v=3.5.3.0:1
Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'match' of undefined
    at Object.parseISO8601Date (datetime.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at <anonymous>:31:83
    at Object.execCb (alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at defineModule (alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at Object.depFinished (alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1)
    at alameda.js?v=3.5.3.0:1

What plugin version number do you have installed? What browser versions numbers?  What url is being used (localhost, hostname, lanip, wan)?

• 4 weeks later...
JotNarayan
I have the same problem, I am trying to restore a copy to the new system and it keeps circling without showing the options to be restored.

Working with 3.5.3-16.

Trying to migrate from a DS218play to a synology DS418play.

What solution do you give me to be able to restore?

JotNarayan

what OS, browser and version? thanks.

I'm testing it from Chrome, Firefox and from Windows 10 itself. It fails in all of them. All in latest updated versions

JotNarayan

what OS, browser and version? thanks.

SOLVED:
It worked with the EmbySvr user that installs by default, and it was necessary to grant the access permissions. Once given, I tried the restoration and it worked. Now let's see how the whole installation has left me, but at first I could already access it.
Thank you.

ddurdle

SOLVED:
It worked with the EmbySvr user that installs by default, and it was necessary to grant the access permissions. Once given, I tried the restoration and it worked. Now let's see how the whole installation has left me, but at first I could already access it.
Thank you.

I think it was a coincidence JotNarayan.  I've found that it won't work until after some period of time, then it suddenly starts working.  As I stated previously, I believe there is some dependency, maybe such as communicating the emby licensing back to emby before the restore works.  Meanwhile, you could be going about making changes and then be mistakenly thinking some change you just made corrected the restore function.

JotNarayan

I think it was a coincidence JotNarayan.  I've found that it won't work until after some period of time, then it suddenly starts working.  As I stated previously, I believe there is some dependency, maybe such as communicating the emby licensing back to emby before the restore works.  Meanwhile, you could be going about making changes and then be mistakenly thinking some change you just made corrected the restore function.

Thanks for the info.
The restoration has been done perfectly and I have not detected any error. And the copy scheduled for tonight has also been made without problems.

The second part of your message I do not understand it very well, since I am translating from "google translator" and I do not understand it.

"Meanwhile, you could be going about making changes and then be mistakenly thinking some change you just made corrected the restore function."

ddurdle

You marked SOLVED and posted a solution.  The problem is not SOLVED, so I don't want this issue to drop off the radar of developers to fix.  It is very much not fixed.