Option to set IP as external

daschef

@@Luke I haven't tested this but with the info he has shown from his logs it appears Emby isn't calculated internal vs external correctly.

If he has set 172.16.128.0/25 then the ONLY IPs that should be considered local are:

172.16.128.1 - 172.16.128.126

The IPs he is using for VPN are above .127

so they should be "external" if he has set 172.16.128.0/25

it would be considered local if that field was blank or set to 172.16.128.0/24

Happy2Play

Sorry with my test I added two LAN IP addresses and all others LAN addresses were redirect to external access HTTPS.  I only tested 4 other devices with local addresses not listed in server setting and all were redirected.

So to me it would appear to be something with your system/network setup. 

5bba783be25c3_LAN.jpg

Also test "192.168.151.0/25" and manually assigning a system ip to 192.168.151.254 and it was considered external and redirected to HTTPS.

Tested on Windows beta server.

Edited by Happy2Play

sfatula

Anything in private address space we do assume local, yes.

Not for me... I have LAN networks settings set to:

192.168.3.0/255.255.255.0

On my openvpn via my router, I get IPs in 10.8.0.0/255.255.255.0 and they are treated as external just fine. Streaming bitrate limits are applied. All works well. 

Edited by sfatula

Happy2Play

Right, my test just proves the ip is being treated as external.  The redirect only happens on external so the setting is working and treating .254 as a external network device.

And my "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" applies to the local machine.

Edited by Happy2Play

Right, my test just proves the ip is being treated as external.  The redirect only happens on external so the setting is working and treating .254 as a external network device.

And my "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps):" applies to the local machine.

Not really the same test.

Try one like he mentioned with a /25

So for example enter 192.168.3.0/25 in the setting then try connecting with an ip such as 192.168.3.200 and see if it's external like it should be.

@@daschef, just curious but after changing the network settings are you restarting Emby?  No idea if that's needed but may not be a bad thing to do.

Happy2Play

Not really the same test.

Try one like he mentioned with a /25

So for example enter 192.168.3.0/25 in the setting then try connecting with an ip such as 192.168.3.200 and see if it's external like it should be.

@@daschef, just curious but after changing the network settings are you restarting Emby?  No idea if that's needed but may not be a bad thing to do.

How is post 28 and 31 not the exact same test?

How is post 28 and 31 not the exact same test?

Does look like the same test!

OK so I just tested this for the first time (for this thread) using:

192.168.100.1/26

192.168.100.1/25

192.168.100.1/24

I used two test client of:

They were found external when they should have been and internal when they should have been!

I tested this on Version 3.6.0.53 beta

So at least on the beta it works fine!

daschef

i have the latest beta ...

can it be that https redirection and bandwith throttling use different methods to detect external ips?

Happy2Play

i have the latest beta ...

can it be that https redirection and bandwith throttling use different methods to detect external ips?

I just tested disabling secure connections and set LAN Networks to 192.168.151.0/25 and logged in from a system with 192.168.151.254 as a ip address and the external connection required me to enter my password and media was restricted to my set "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): 3".

I just tested disabling secure connections and set LAN Networks to 192.168.151.0/25 and logged in from a system with 192.168.151.254 as a ip address and the external connection required me to enter my password and media was restricted to my set "Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): 3".

Same with my test as I used 2Mb rate and it applied during transcode when I viewed a movie.  From internal IP space it direct played.

@@daschef, you may want to post screen shots of your settings as it seems like something isn't set correct.

sfatula

Mine too as noted. Definitely applied the bitrate limit. This is with a Linux server, xubuntu.

daschef

Ok, then it obviously must be a problem with my local installation ....

I will try to replace that Synology-VPN with ipsec, then the problem is gone for me.