The poster.jpg is overwritten with a low quality banner unless there is a folder.jpg file present

im85288

im85288

Luke as promised here is the issue I and at least one other user (from the XBMB3C thread) have been experiencing with regards to the Primary Image being scrapped as a Banner rather than a Poster. I did not initially report this due to running the server on OS X but now the other user has reported it too and they are using the server on Windows.

What I have found is that when TV shows are scrapped it creates a bunch of metadata and in particular a poster.jpg for the primary image. Initially this is fine, but through the night or whenever the daily schedule runs this primary image get's overwritten with a Banner resulting in the poster.jpg looking like it is suffering from low pixels. To circumvent this I have to go to each TV show and copy/paste the correct poster.jpg to another file called folder.jpg. With the folder.jpg file present the primary image no longer get's overwritten with the incorrect Banner image when the daily update occurs. The same principle applies to Movies too.

One other thing that happens with the OS X version (I have not tested to see if this occurs on Windows) is the CoverArt plugin takes a "slice" out of the artwork.

For example:

vC1MM8y.png

im85288

Thanks for the explanation, would it be possible to get a treatment style for People that does not have the gloss overlay?

doesn't like or may very well just not be implemented.

It is an image I am drawing on top of the treatment.  Something about that image OSX doesn't like and it isn't rendering properly.

Thanks for the explanation, would it be possible to get a treatment style for People that does not have the gloss overlay?

What happens if you select the Sapphire treatment?

im85288

Sapphire treatment has a similar result:

GY9gpX6.png

Just for completion here are the other two types available for Persons:

m86qHu2.png

GPhylfy.png

im85288

I have not checked that actually, will have a look and confirm either way.

im85288

No the slice does not occur without the CoverArt plugin installed:

MOEwjGm.png

That's an interesting anomaly.  Only happens on OSX?  Must be something in the GDI+ implementation.

What was the treatment style chosen for people and did you try any others?

im85288

Yes I think it is OS X only but cannot confirm as I do not have it installed on Windows. 

I tried all treatment styles for People and the effect is the same. For music with the CD Case everything is fine too.

However for Movies/TV shows the results are mixed for Plain, OpenCase, FlatCase and MetroCase things look fine:

AZrBwhL.png

But for other types such as ClearCase the slice reappears:

NR7TR9i.png

It is the gloss overlay that is being put on top of those treatments.  Something about that OSX doesn't like.

• Like 1

vidkun

What I have found is that when TV shows are scrapped it creates a bunch of metadata and in particular a poster.jpg for the primary image. Initially this is fine, but through the night or whenever the daily schedule runs this primary image get's overwritten with a Banner resulting in the poster.jpg looking like it is suffering from low pixels. To circumvent this I have to go to each TV show and copy/paste the correct poster.jpg to another file called folder.jpg. With the folder.jpg file present the primary image no longer get's overwritten with the incorrect Banner image when the daily update occurs. The same principle applies to Movies too.

As discussed in the other thread on the XBMB3C forum, I'm having this same issue running on Windows Server 2012. Copying the correct poster.jpg to a second file named folder.jpg resolves it and prevents the scan job from overwriting the originals.

I'm not using CoverArt plugin so I can't comment on that part.

• 2 months later...
vidkun

im85288: Maybe I missed something, but I thought the poster related image had been resolved. Just realized the other day that I am still having to manually edit the show's images, download the correct "primary" image, then copy the resulting poster.jpg over to folder.jpg. Otherwise, adding new shows results in the primary image being scraped as a banner and showing up looking like crap until the above process is done to fix it. Are you still having that issue as well?

I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest stable releases for MB3S and the latest repo version of XBMB3C.

im85288

im85288: Maybe I missed something, but I thought the poster related image had been resolved. Just realized the other day that I am still having to manually edit the show's images, download the correct "primary" image, then copy the resulting poster.jpg over to folder.jpg. Otherwise, adding new shows results in the primary image being scraped as a banner and showing up looking like crap until the above process is done to fix it. Are you still having that issue as well?

I'm pretty sure I'm running the latest stable releases for MB3S and the latest repo version of XBMB3C.

No, for me and now at least a couple of others: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/8454-mb3-constantly-changes-my-primary-images-for-tv-shows-to-banners/ this problem has not been solved. Hopefully @@Luke will be able to reproduce and fix this as it's now being reported by more people