Beta Roku app

borngborn

Happy2Play

Afraid I don't follow what you are talking about here... But the Roku doesn't support multi-channel AAC (really) and it does support AC3.

This depends on the Roku version.

5b8df1813b7c2_IMG_0153.jpg

I don't think any Roku will actually deliver 5.1 AAC.  It will accept it, yes, but I believe they all mix down to stereo.  That's what I meant by (really).

@@speechles can correct me if I'm mistaken here...

I don't think any Roku will actually deliver 5.1 AAC.  It will accept it, yes, but I believe they all mix down to stereo.  That's what I meant by (really).

I'm pretty sure the RokuTV's will convert 5.1 AAC to 5.1 AC3, as they pay for the Dolby License (RokuTV's only).

EDIT: Yep.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=95522#p534677

1. No version of Roku firmware supports sending out multichannel PCM over hdmi, only PCM stereo is supported.

2. The Roku-3 and Roku-2 are unable to decode any multichannel AAC audio because the hardware doesn't support it.
3. The Roku-4 has hardware that can decode multichannel AAC, but (see #1)
4. The RokuTVs have a Dolby license that includes support for transcoding multichannel AAC into 5.1 Dolby. If you have an AVR attached to the ARC/SPDIF that can decode Dolby you will get multichannel output.

Also, there is a higher license fee for AAC 5.1 decode to PCM 5.1 vs decode to downmixed PCM stereo.

rokudale
Edited by Lane03

The Roku Ultra #4640 _used to_ convert AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1. But during a recent firmware change, they said this causes audio desync. The lips will get ahead of the audio. To prevent this Roku said they now only downsample AAC 5.1 to AAC 2.0. The RokuTV models differ because they use different chipsets. These can pass-through the AAC 5.1 as AC3 correctly without causing audio lag or audio drift.

The correct thing to do is have the AAC Downsample option for users to pick their poison. The app already allows this.

Edited by speechles

Regarding the audio guys, I ask because I've never been able to watch a movie with an AC3 soundtrack on the official Roku app as the audio is always very badly distorted. This however never happened on the 'Blue Neon Night' app and Speechles explained how the 2 apps were different in dealing with audio conversion. I was really, really hoping (praying!) that Speechles's way of audio conversion was going to make it into the new revised Roku app which is what prompted me to pose the question again now that active development is actually taking place. My original question and responses are here. Thanks again.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61433-distorted-audio-on-movies-with-ac3-audio-via-the-official-emby-for-roku-app/

Regarding the audio guys, I ask because I've never been able to watch a movie with an AC3 soundtrack on the official Roku app as the audio is always very badly distorted. This however never happened on the 'Blue Neon Night' app and Speechles explained how the 2 apps were different in dealing with audio conversion. I was really, really hoping (praying!) that Speechles's way of audio conversion was going to make it into the new revised Roku app which is what prompted me to pose the question again now that active development is actually taking place. My original question and responses are here. Thanks again.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61433-distorted-audio-on-movies-with-ac3-audio-via-the-official-emby-for-roku-app/

Thats because the AC3 when not supported was being transcoded into MP3. The app will now prefer AAC over MP3 when transcoding. This is exactly as the blue neon night does it. There are not as many options for audio as blue neon has this is true. But do we need those? Default Audio, Unknown Audio, LiveTV Audio? Is there a need to have these? If so, they can be hidden behind an advanced button which then exposes them. But do we need these? Time is the enemy. Where do we focus time. The ever present problem. There is an ever growing issue tracker we must address at some time. It would be foolish to dismiss these and focus on just power users. We need to iron the issues out in the tracker(yours included its in there), and get that to manageable number (which right now it is anything but). Just so you know, we do keep track of everything every user has brought up. Nothing is insignificant until we decide it is. All issues make the tracker. It will get to those options eventually getting there, but right now do we need them? If we do, and others like you feel the same way, this will raise the priority. But at the moment I see a huge list of issues and every day I do not get to them makes me a sad panda. So to speak.. lol.. You know what I mean. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the reply Speechles, can totally understand the multitude of issues that you have to filter through and as you say it's all about time and prioritising the fixes that you think will benefit the majority of users. I'm so pleased to hear that the new version will use AAC for the transcoding, that's music to my ears and can't wait for my ears to hear the results of all your hard work! Is there a BETA version availalbe to download or is it still way too early to even think about it? I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone when I say a sincere thank you for creating this new revision for us all :)

@@Gaz yes, right here. Not sure if @@ebr has added the last pull, but it does include the AAC change you want.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
camp8615

I am having similar issues as @@borngborn. I just recently switched from Plex to Emby and I'm loving this software, but like @@borngborn I get an rgb fuzz when playing a 4k HEVC file. I attached some photos showing the issue. I havent tried the beta app but will check it out tomorrow.

post-388510-0-42537300-1545028367_thumb.jpg

post-388510-0-71300500-1545028402_thumb.jpg

As well as providing the information requested above. I have two more questions. What firmware version is on your TCL RokuTV? What version of the Emby Roku app are you using?

camp8615

I have attached a log.txt file. My TCL Roku TV is running the latest firmware Roku OS 8.2. I am using the latest Roku version of the app 3.0.128 and tried the latest version of the Roku beta app 3.0.129 and I'm running  emby server version 3.5.3.0

@@camp8615 As a test, can you try with Roku Media Player app? It will see Emby as a DLNA server. Browse to the same video this way and attempt to play. If it plays it with the same exact issue, which I suspect it will, this is a Roku firmware issue with 8.2.x on certain RokuTV models regarding bitrate of HEVC files. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is lower the bitrate in app to cause a transcode. With HEVC this comes with a heavy cost. I wish there was something we could do to work around this but this requires help from Roku with correcting their firmware. As a side note, depending on what container the item is in, with Roku you can use higher bitrate with MKV than you can with MP4. If the item is an MP4 with HEVC try a remux to MKV and see if it works.

camp8615

I'll try the Roku media player and see what happens. I'm wondering what Plex does to allow this file to play through the Roku. This is the only 4K HEVC I have, so I can live with it. If I were to post a Plex log would that be of any help?

I'll try the Roku media player and see what happens. I'm wondering what Plex does to allow this file to play through the Roku. This is the only 4K HEVC I have, so I can live with it. If I were to post a Plex log would that be of any help?

Plex is likely fully transcoding it. You can provide a log from them though if you want. Sure. We can do the same thing and transcode, but we always play directly if supported.

Press down on your Roku remote to open the video player OSD when that video is playing. Use the playback menu (3 sliders like a graphic equalizer) and choose the playback correction option. This will cause the video player to exit and restart with the next playback method. If it still has problems, use the playback correction button again. There are multiple playback methods it will use as you use that button multiple times. It should eventually resolve the problem using this option.

Edited by speechles

camp8615

Thanks man I appreciate the help. I really like this software more than Plex and like a lot of ppl came over from Plex due the direction Plex is heading.

We don't discriminate. Everybody is welcome. Welcome aboard.

We also take support seriously. So if you have any issues, thoughts, concerns, wishes, complaints, improvements.. Please let us know what we are doing right or wrong. We also take user feedback seriously. Thanks and merry christmas. :)

Is there a place to download the latest Roku beta app? I just see random links in various threads but no testing section (unless I missed it).

There is a Roku sub-forum under the Testing Area at the bottom of the community. That's where new testing versions are announced. Thanks.