Switching to SSD for emby cache

chef

Quick question before I press the purchase button on Amazon.

Is this true:

If I switch the emby cache save location to an SSD, I will most likely experience faster load times in emby.

Is this also true:

Running my OS and the emby server from SSD will most likely increase load speeds from my server.

Thanks very much in advance.

Chef

mastrmind11

Some swear by it, others not.  Since the cached stuff is cached (by definition in memory), I don't see how it could make a difference unless youi're constantly adding new media to your library and clicking around... so ymmv

• Like 1

I'm running an SSD drive strictly for emby's cache, metadata and transcoding temp folder. I really don't see a big difference, but it might help my users when it comes to transcoding (accessing files), but that is just my own theory. 

Edited by arche
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I'm running an SSD drive strictly for emby's cache, metadata and transcoding temp folder. I really don't see a big difference, but it might help my users when it comes to transcoding (accessing files), but that is just my own theory. 

But that's mostly for transcoding. I definitely suggest getting an SSD for a transcode drive. Low latency makes a difference.

• Like 1

Since I'm using Xbox one in my living roon, most of my content is transcoded. There isn't a huge issue for me, but I've lowered bitrates from streaming to my users and I do find load times over the internet is slower. Probably to be expected though.

Okay, what about utilizing RAM as a transcode folder by allocating some gigs as a RAM disk?

Do you think that is a good idea fellas??

Edited by chef

mastrmind11

Okay, what about utilizing RAM as a transcode folder by allocating some gigs as a RAM disk?

Do you think that is a good idea fellas??

Why?  is there an issue somewhere?  I use basic magnetic platters for everything and have had no complaints in years.

The only problem I seem to have is that when transcoding (this is over my sub network) the stream catches up to the transcoded endpoint to quickly and the loading circle appears.

This doesn't cause playback to stop or pause. It just flashes on the screen.

I'm transcoding with an i7 quad core chip.

My settings have been maxed out in emby and yet the stream meets the tracode limit serveral times throughout the viewing of a movie.

That lead me to believe that perhaps there was something else throttling my experience somewhere. Maybe read and write times of my drives.

Edited by chef

That just sounds like it isn't transcoding fast enough. Post your transcode log.

I'll have to find one. Last night it was happening a little more then usual.

Thank you for your help :) Be back.

mastrmind11

yeah need a log.  what are you transcoding?  Guessing something 4k since my 8 year old Xeon is generally 40% ahead of playback on 1080p content.

The only problem I seem to have is that when transcoding (this is over my sub network) the stream catches up to the transcoded endpoint to quickly and the loading circle appears.

This doesn't cause playback to stop or pause. It just flashes on the screen.

I'm transcoding with an i7 quad core chip.

My settings have been maxed out in emby and yet the stream meets the tracode limit serveral times throughout the viewing of a movie.

That lead me to believe that perhaps there was something else throttling my experience somewhere. Maybe read and write times of my drives.

This seems to be happening to me mostly on the lastest couple of betas, seems the transcode is only staying about 5-10% ahead of the video playing. I just haven't been around to grab a log. Are you on a beta?

chef

So how I fixed this was to switch all my transcoding options to auto and default settings

I had switched the encoder to "slow" to try and get a better quality, but in the end it was just to slow to keep up with the stream.

One setting I did change was maxing out all threads and cores while transcoding.

I have yet to see the loading circle.

Perhaps there could be a core change where the condition of having a slower encoding could stop the loader from showing?

Happy2Play

So how I fixed this was to switch all my transcoding options to auto and default settings

I had switched the encoder to "slow" to try and get a better quality, but in the end it was just to slow to keep up with the stream.

One setting I did change was maxing out all threads and cores while transcoding.

I have yet to see the loading circle.

Perhaps there could be a core change where the condition of having a slower encoding could stop the loader from showing?

What was the thread count set to when you were encoding "slow"?

chef

It was set to "Max" as well.

Unfortunately, I spoke to soon. There are still instances when transcoding media to the Xbox one theater where the loading circle becomes visible. No inruptions in playback, but the circle appears for one full rotation and disappears.

I forgot to post logs. I intend to.