12 replies to this topic

#1 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

I was playing a downloaded show on the iPhone with no problem. When I cast it, my Roku's showed up in the list. I chose the one I was standing in front of. The video stopped playing in the iPhone, but nothing happened on my Roku. My Roku is an Ultra. I tried it while the App was running and without.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4.1

#2 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts
  • Local time: 05:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Can you cast from the web app?

#3 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:06 PM

Can you cast from the web app?

..Yes I can cast from the Web App. I tried the same show from from my iPhone again and this time it worked also. So, I tried playing the show I downloaded to my iPhone and that doesn't work. In a nutshell, I can cast from the iPhone unless I'm playing a downloaded show.

The downloaded show plays fine on the iPhone, BTW. Are we dealing with a formatting issue? I downloaded the Original format, which is:

Media Info
Video Title720P H264
CodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileMain
Level31
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate29.9704151
Bitrate3201 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
Audio TitleUnd AAC stereo Default
Languageund
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate192 kbps
Sample rate44100 Hz
DefaultYes
Embedded Image CodecPNG
Level-99
Resolution476x268
Framerate90000
Pixel formatrgb24
Ref frames1
DefaultNo
Containermp4
PathV:\Video\PlayOn Recordings\Deception\Season 1\Deception - s01e09 - Getting Away Clean.mp4

This is the format of the file I played from the server. I assume it was transcoding it for the Roku.

Media Info
Video Title1080I MPEG2VIDEO
CodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedYes
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate12100 kbps
Color primariesbt709
Color spacebt709
Color transferbt709
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
Audio TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Codec tagAC-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
Audio TitleSpa Dolby Digital stereo
Languagespa
CodecAC3
Codec tagAC-3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate192 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
Containermpegts
PathV:\Video\Emby Recordings In Progress\Shows\America's Got Talent (2006)\Season 13\America's Got Talent S13E24 Live Results Finale.ts
Size10728 MB

#4 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:16 PM

It appears as the cast is more like a remote control where Emby client is launched on the Roku and told to play the requested clip. Is not a screen mirror?

#5 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5581 posts
  • Local time: 02:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:46 PM

It is not a screen mirror.

The file difference is the server has the actual file. Can play it directly in its original form. Your iphone has a conversion done during download to make it playable on that device directly. BTW, if you could play this, your Roku likely would play it directly and without a hiccup or issue, in full 1080i 25/30 upscaled to 1080p 50/60.

The other problem is, you may not like, but I have to say it. We aren't in control of certain aspects of our relationships with media. We cannot sometimes mix all platforms happily together. At this time it looks like iOS does not support ECP with iOS 12.0. So no matter what you do, no matter what you say. There are certain relationships with media you cannot change. Apple controls your media on their device. You are captive. Roku is agnostic it is friendly and plays nice with everybody. So does android. Your issue is Apple is licensing AirPlay in relationships now with companies. They want that captive audience and they want other platforms to pay to get access to that captive audience. This is unfair to you, to anyone who owns both an Apple device and a Roku. It isn't emby, it isn't Roku. It is your Apple devices demanding Apple devices to play with. I am sorry they treat you this way.

Edited by speechles, 30 September 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

That's correct. Why did you think it was a screen mirror?

#7 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

It is not a screen mirror.

Ah, I see now. The ICON looks like the Cast Icon I see in other apps. Once clicked, I see your menu actually says "Play On". Such a subtle, but big difference. My use case is to be able to download to my iPhone, go to a friends house and play on the phone and cast(mirror) to their Roku. They do not have Emby or access to my server. I also understand your comments about Apple. I feel the same way

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 139743 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:59 PM

That's something we'd like to support in the future. It will require having a server built into the app to stream to the chromecast.

#9 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:04 PM

That's something we'd like to support in the future. It will require having a server built into the app to stream to the chromecast.

Would be a nice feature. Would the device need to also have the Emby client? I know I can cast(mirror) my Windows 10 display to the Roku by using the wireless projection feature. No app needed. If you want to go the not client required route, then you would need to use that protocol.

#10 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5581 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

You might be able to use emby to populate the files on your phone, download them, convert them, however they get there. Then depending on file system access, which on Apple is so frightening. The roku app, which controls the remote control and such. Its just the normal roku app on the itunes store. I believe this has the ability play files over to the roku from within their app

https://itunes.apple...d482066631?mt=8

Use this app, which is basically the roku remote contol to send these to your friends Roku from your iOS device on your friends local wifi network. This will work. At your friends just use this. You can do what you want today.

You can also use screen mirroring on the roku app to use MiraCast to do the same thing as you just wanted to do. This might work on Apple too. Roku calls it "pear"ing and shows a purple pear on screen and asks for permission for the device to broadcast to your Roku. Allow and presto. Pears btw, a clear jibe at Apple's airplay, and a nod to iCarly in one.

Two ways to choose. Be your own you, do it whichever way floats your boat.

The emby "play-to" casting (Roku ECP) only works if the Roku is on the same LAN as both your emby server and your Roku, so would've never worked for you in your use case anways.

But knowing you can still do it, as long as that Roku remote control app can see the videos emby downloads to your iPhone. If that is possible, we just solved the problem.

Edited by speechles, 30 September 2018 - 05:17 PM.

#11 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

I see. Sounds complicated. I also have confused myself with the difference between the "Play On" ICON and the "Mirror" ICON. You are consistent with YouTube, which does a "Play On" as well.

#12 speechles OFFLINE  

speechles

Advanced Member

• App Developer
  • 5581 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

I see. Sounds complicated. I also have confused myself with the difference between the "Play On" ICON and the "Mirror" ICON. You are consistent with YouTube, which does a "Play On" as well.

Nah, you already did the hard part. Get the files onto your iPhone. That alone is a miracle. No iTunes required? Wha? Huh? I mean alot of people think you are a miracle worker having your own media on an Apple device. 

You just need to download the official Roku remote control app onto your iPhone. Then run it when at your friends. It is easy to navigate and its an official Roku app on Apple. This means, they pay Apple something to make this app work. This is the bridge over the river Kwai. In this app, you can easily enable screen mirroring, to "pear" to your friends Roku and this gives you your screen mirroring. You can also, just browse your media on the device and choose to play-to from the app, like emby. The official Roku remote control app gives you both. You just need to pick which you want. I believe both methods work on iOS as their iTunes page says they do.

Edit: On closer inspection...

Is screen mirroring supported on my iPhone or iPad?

No. Screen mirroring with a Roku device is not supported with iOS® or Apple devices. You can however, use your iPhone or iPad to:

So make it that you can only, maybe send videos via Play on Roku. Why does Apple have to be such a bully.. lol

• Only videos captured with your mobile device are supported by Play on Roku.

That one is sort of ambiguous, does that mean only the DCIM folder s allowed access? Not the entire filesystem. Is there a way emby can download files to that DCIM folder? Does it already? If so, phew.

Why does everything have to be so complicated.

Edited by speechles, 30 September 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#13 jfgilliam OFFLINE  

jfgilliam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

So, to confirm. The Roku App on my iPhone can play videos taken with my phone, but the video downloaded by Emby cannot be found. Maybe with the right permissions, you can get it to save it where the Roku App, or any other app for that matter, can see it. Like you said, seems to be only iTunes can do this at the moment. I think many have tried :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cast, roku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users