Library Source & Destination

Scrat

See my last posted image. That Hooked folder should show up inside other if I do "ls", right? It doesn't.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

MRobi

@@Scrat Hmmm that is definitely an odd one. It may have something to do with mounting in the GUI and as @@makarai suggested each folder may need to be mounted individually if done that way.

You seem willing to use shell which is a good thing. Mounting a dataset through the terminal is a very simple command and we know this method works 100% because it's what most of us use.

First, unmount everything you've mounted from GUI.

Then do this in shell from root (aka before you go into the emby jail using the console command)

iocage fstab -a emby "/mnt/databank01/media /media nullfs rw 0 0"
  • Like 1

What does that command do? I'll be home around 18h00 CST. FreeBSD 11.2 beta 3 don't let one simply delete a mount point from within a jail, so I'll likely have to redo the Emby jail like the other day.

makarai

@@Scrat, i am not sure if you understood me correctly or if i might be misunderstanding you.

the media folder in the jail itself is fine but instead of linking

/mnt/databank01/media/  ->  /mnt/iocage/jails/emby-server/root/media

please link

/mnt/databank01/media/Movies  ->  /mnt/iocage/jails/emby-server/root/media

Alternatively you should log into your jail, go to the rootfolder where you find the /mnt and /media folder and do the following

mkdir Movies

then you have another folder to mount into

exit the jail specific shell and open a freenas shell

and type

iocage fstab -a emby-server "/mnt/databank01/media/Movies /Movies nullfs rw 0 0"
Edited by makarai
  • Like 1

makarai

What does that command do? I'll be home around 18h00 CST. FreeBSD 11.2 beta 3 don't let one simply delete a mount point from within a jail, so I'll likely have to redo the Emby jail like the other day.

give this a try:

• you stop the jail,
  • click on the hamburger symbol
  • click mountpoints
  • and delete the ones you added

post-165508-0-11329200-1538570858_thumb.

post-165508-0-11329200-1538570858_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

MRobi

fstab stands for file system table and -a is for 'add'. So what this command does is mount the file system at /mnt/databank/media to whatever directory you choose inside your jail such as /media or /movies, /tv etc..

There's a known bug in the new FreeNAS beta when mounting a file system to a folder that doesn't already exist. The /media folder does exist, but I'm not sure if that bug extends to folders that don't exist inside the media folder (ie: /media/Movies or /Media/Music). Using fstab through shell we know 100% works and will help us eliminate the possible bug as a source of your issue.

Follow @@makarai 's steps above and try mounting just your Movies folder and then go into Emby and load those into your library and see what happens.

• Like 1

Gotta delete Emby to hopefully get things working. I can't edit a mount point with it creating a new one and not letting me delete the other.

Edit 1) Well curse whatever happened.. but Plex sees the 'Movies1' folder I made in terminal under root.

Edit 2) Now Emby sees it. Looks like my pet project will be creating folders in shell.

Edit 4) @@makarai - Looks like that last snippet of code you gave me to run, made my files invisible in Finder. Found 'em in there over shell. *shakes head* [emoji39]

Edited by Scrat

Well curse whatever happened.. but Plex sees the 'Movies1' folder I made in terminal under root.

Now Emby sees it. Looks like my pet project will be creating folders in shell. Hmm..

Umm.. where did my three movies go that I had in there..?

At least Emby gets the album art right for movies.. heh

Next question, will it read h265 mkv encoded movies? [emoji13]dc8484ff2af8c5e1a49b8c518f53283c.jpg

Great job ! And yes, the server supports hevc, but you will need fast enough hardware to transcode it.

• Like 1

Great job ! And yes, the server supports hevc, but you will need fast enough hardware to transcode it.

Server side presumably?

Xeon E5-2683-v3 sitting on an ASRock x99 WS-E/10G with 64GB Corsair Dominator memory, Seagate Ironwolf 4TB (x4) attached via hotswap backplane to a mini-sas controller card. There are 2 250GB SSDs attached directly to the board for caching. Overkill? They were cheap.. Crucial MX500 series. $98 CAD/drive.

Yes, unless the app you're playing from can direct play hevc.

I cheated a touch.. I think. I was playing it through Chrome cause testing. I wanna try the app now on my Note 8.

Weird issue: I added movies into the 'Movies1' folder, butt hey aren't seen. The three I added previously are.. but they got moved.

/mnt/databank01/media/Movies1 - where the original three were
I log into the Emby console, and go to..

/media/Movies1 - my original three got moved here
What gives? I would like the files to stay where I put them so they can be seen by Finder if I wanna modify 'em, or simply see what's in there.

makarai

Weird issue: I added movies into the 'Movies1' folder, butt hey aren't seen. The three I added previously are.. but they got moved.

/mnt/databank01/media/Movies1 - where the original three were
I log into the Emby console, and go to..

/media/Movies1 - my original three got moved here
What gives? I would like the files to stay where I put them so they can be seen by Finder if I wanna modify 'em, or simply see what's in there.

i am confused,  why you say finder what are you exactly talking about? And what do you mean by they moved? nothing should be moving.

Emby is like a virtual machine with its own root folder so when you type the command in that i gave you you link the one folder from your nas into the virtual machine from emby, nothing is physically moved.

this is your nas location : /mnt/databank01/media/Movies1

this is your emby location /media/Movies1

Edited by makarai

If nothing should've moved, why are the original three movies not in the folder I put them in? I'm using a Mac.. Finder is like Windows file explorer.

MRobi

If nothing should've moved, why are the original three movies not in the folder I put them in? I'm using a Mac.. Finder is like Windows file explorer.

They definitely don't move. Emby runs in a jail, which is it's own little self contained environment. When you mount a folder using the commands, it creates a symbolic link in the area you define. So when you're in your emby jail and go to /media/Movies in the background what's really happening is it's bringing you to /mnt/databank01/media/movies

So no files are moved at all 

I know that's how it should work. But why are the three I put in there not listing when I run "ls" or "ls -la" in Terminal when I'm in '/mnt/databank01/media/Movies1'?

MRobi

I know that's how it should work. But why are the three I put in there not listing when I run "ls" or "ls -la" in Terminal when I'm in '/mnt/databank01/media/Movies1'?

Do they show if you run it inside the emby jail in /media/Movies1?

Do they show if you run it inside the emby jail in /media/Movies1?

Yes

MRobi

Yes

My suspicion is that when you created the Movies1 folder it must have been inside the Emby jail and you unintentionally transferred the files into the jail instead of linking the directory. Only thought I've got if they show inside /media/Movies1 in the jail but not in the main dataset

Maybe I'll have to wait till RC1 and see if things work better. Honestly, I made the folder in both places. I have yet to transfer files through shell. I did see the command a few days ago, but I don't remember it.

Steps in order:

Make Movies1 folder in /mnt/databank01/media

Make same folder in /media inside Emby jail

Ran that command above ending with '..0 0"'

Opened Emby, scanned library