Library Source & Destination

Scrat

I have my Movies, Music, TV Shows, Random, and Test addressed as follows:

• /media/Movies
  • /media/Music
  • /media/TV Shows
  • /media/Other
  • /media

Is this right for how the images show? Permissions are set wide open till I get my libraries working - 000.

I'm running FreeNAS v11.2 beta 3. I had zero installation and upgrade issues.. aside from where I had to confirm I wanted to ignore the file mis-match for updating Emby.

post-360882-0-35244100-1538088200_thumb.png

post-360882-0-78696400-1538088207_thumb.png

Edited by Scrat

I have my Movies, Music, TV Shows, Random, and Test addressed as follows:

• /media/Movies
  • /media/Music
  • /media/TV Shows
  • /media/Other
  • /media

Is this right for how the images show? Permissions are set wide open till I get my libraries working - 000.

I'm running FreeNAS v11.2 beta 3. I had zero installation and upgrade issues.. aside from where I had to confirm I wanted to ignore the file mis-match for updating Emby.

Looks alright. Although I've read from a few others on here that using the GUI to mount your storage may cause issues if the folder you mount it to doesn't exist to start with.

Next step after it's mounted is to grant emby permission to the data.

This is the best thread for your options. I personally prefer group write since it's very easy to create a group inside the jail and then add the emby user to that group.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-giving-plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Permissions is something I have not yet admittedly figured out yet. I suspect my biggest issue that I can't no user, or at least an obvious one, that has data control. I did see 'root' listed, but I'm not sure what to change it to. I could make users, but I'm not sure if I know where to apply them.. though maybe that's another thing I'll learn from a video.. or by accident. =p

Permissions is something I have not yet admittedly figured out yet. I suspect my biggest issue that I can't no user, or at least an obvious one, that has data control. I did see 'root' listed, but I'm not sure what to change it to. I could make users, but I'm not sure if I know where to apply them.. though maybe that's another thing I'll learn from a video.. or by accident. =p

Your data at /mnt/databank01/media will have a user and group assigned to it with a user id and group id. You should be able to find that in the GUI where your storage is mounted.

The emby plugin will run under it's own user id and group id which is emby/emby.

So you can essentially do 3 things.

1: In the emby jail you can create a user that matches the user for your data, and then you have to go in and change the user that emby is running under to this new user you just created.

2: My preference since I find it easiest. In the emby jail create a group that matches the group for your data and then add the emby user to that group. (Make sure your data is set to allow group read/write)

3: Not recommended. Set your data to 0777 which leaves it wide open for anything to read/write.

• Like 1

It appears the owner of my Emby jail is root.. Am I missing something?6c1bf5e00e59fdf620ba90772408731c.jpgd91acac86b032950b4ef619b8b719102.jpgc51c98362f355220b29ba8746cfd10bc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

I am extremely unfamiliar with permissions and the GUI, but if you're editing the permission of the jail itself you're not going about it in the right way. Changing the jail permissions can can completely break the jail and cause all kinds of other issues.

From what I can see there, your data is part of a group called slmedia. If you go on the left menu under accounts/groups you'll see slmedia with a number under GID. Remember this number. 

Go to jails, click the 3 dots for your emby jail and open shell.

Type this, changing YOURGIDHERE to the number you just saw.

pw groupadd -n slmedia -g YOURGIDHERE
pw groupmod slmedia -m emby

Although I also see you've got your data set to 0777 so it should have access even without this step. But I'd still do it for best practice.

Thanks for everything.. I think its fooked. Maybe time to restart the whole process from scratch. *sigh*

I must be doing something wrong. I have Emby reinstalled and functioning, but I still don't have access to my media through Emby. I also re-ran that command you told me to.

Maybe I need to run it from within Terminal..?

MRobi

I must be doing something wrong. I have Emby reinstalled and functioning, but I still don't have access to my media through Emby. I also re-ran that command you told me to.

Maybe I need to run it from within Terminal..?

By don't have access, do you mean you can't see it at all? As in the /media folder you mounted your data to is empty?

My data - music, movies, shows, etc., are all still there. Neither Plex nor Emby can see it. I have a whole variation of media types - MP3, M4A, MP4, M4V, MPG, AVI, and so on. Something should be visible.. I was hoping.

MRobi

My data - music, movies, shows, etc., are all still there. Neither Plex nor Emby can see it. I have a whole variation of media types - MP3, M4A, MP4, M4V, MPG, AVI, and so on. Something should be visible.. I was hoping.

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but needs to be asked. After running emby/plex, are you going into libraries and adding the libraries in?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

makarai

From quickly scanning your other posts, instead of mounting /mnt/datenbank01/media  please try to mount /mnt/datenbank01/media/Movies into your jail /media folder and report back

Would you mind logging into the emby jail via

iocage console emby-server

(jailname)

and going into the cd /media folder and type

ls -la

and posting a screenshot from there.

Edited by makarai
  • Like 1

MRobi - Yes, I linked up the main library folder to the jail before adding them in. That's what you're asking, yes?

Makarai - I will do that when I get home from work. Cheers for the idea. I'll get ya the screenshot too.

MRobi

MRobi - Yes, I linked up the main library folder to the jail before adding them in. That's what you're asking, yes?

Makarai - I will do that when I get home from work. Cheers for the idea. I'll get ya the screenshot too.

No, that's not what I'm asking.

After mounting your folder to the jail, did you then go into Emby and go to Manage Server, Library, Add Media Library and add each individual folder into Emby? 

It's one thing to mount your data to your jail, but then you need to tell Emby where your movies folder is, and your tv folder, music folder, etc..

MRobi

MRobi, yes.. that I did.

So if you've been able to do that, that means the drive did mount properly and that emby is able to see the files?

MRobi - No.. it don't see the files. That's why I'm puzzled. I thought I had done everything by the book sorta in regards to linking the storage before setting up the media server.

From quickly scanning your other posts, instead of mounting /mnt/datenbank01/media please try to mount /mnt/datenbank01/media/Movies into your jail /media folder and report back

Would you mind logging into the emby jail via

iocage console emby-server
(jailname)

and going into the cd /media folder and type

ls -la
and posting a screenshot from there.
Well curse my discovery.. do I need to switch the group to 'wheel'?ce79370c944802a30b473f29b862d6cc.jpg

makarai

@@Scrat That means the datasets are owned by root media, and not 1002 and slmedia, you can change the datasets permissions in the dataset settings. 

Its normal permission issues i guess.

MRobi

@@Scrat That means the datasets are owned by root media, and not 1002 and slmedia, you can change the datasets permissions in the dataset settings. 

Its normal permission issues i guess.

Even though it's owned by root and not slmedia, the permissions are rwxr-xr-x which is 0755. Readable by user group and other. Which means once mounted (mount appears to be correct and working), and imported into the library, emby should at the very least be able to read the files. You will run into issues once Emby starts trying to manage the files though, so you definitely do need to get your permissions correct.

@@Scrat Can you take it one step further following makarai's instructions and go into one of the folders cd /media/Movies and run the same command and post a screenshot of that. And then again into one of the actual movie folders where there are files and post a screenshot there.

While the folders may be 755 the files may have a different permission. I'd be shocked to see something with a permission of 660 or 700, especially with a parent folder at 755, but it's possible.

Can you also go into Emby and under Manage Server/Library post a screenshot there. 

Should look like this

5bb3716f956ba_Libraries.png

• Like 1

@@MRobi - I did that yesterday, but nothing was listed. Shocked me. I went in through Finder and I could see the files in there. I'll check the permissions for each folder when I get home.

Umm.. I don't believe its linking to the right folders.

/mnt/databank01/media to /mnt/iocage/jails/emby/root/media
If I leave off /media after /root, its invalid. If I leave off /media when linking the folders inside Emby, its invalid.

*grr, hiss, claw, scratch*8c5ceadc19827b70ce22855f1cbbe2ff.jpg

makarai

@@Scrat

Can you do me a favor and unmount all your folders that you added and just mount one folder/dataset

as you indicated here in the screenshot except at the source you select a dataset. i.e.

/mnt/databank01/media/Movies  ->  /mnt/iocage/jails/emby-server/root/media

post-360882-0-35244100-1538088200.png

then you go into the jail and perform cd /media and ls -la i am guessing each dataset needs to be mounted separately

Edited by makarai