Artist name is initials issue

RedStripe

ginjaninja

Its the ones u dont see that get you. Trying using an mp3tag filter..all tags containing j.r.r..maybe its somewhere else. I have lots of such content as previous posts and am not seeing this issue.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

gcoupe

It's the only tag containing "J.R.R." in 15,000+ mp3 tracks. Of course, mp3tag is only concerned about my music folders. I'm wondering whether MB3 has created the false tags via some process that is supposed to restrict itself to movies or TV series folders...

ginjaninja

Trouble shooting steps might be run ffprobe on the content above. And backup db, remove db and all xml related and rebuild. Alternatively change folder name and see if the suprious entry disappears after folder rename and a rescan.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

gcoupe

ffprobe shows nothing untoward with that file. I'll try the folder rename first, and if that does nothing, then I'll go for the scorched earth policy.

ffprobe output:

Input #0, mp3, from '\\DEGAS\Music\J.R.R. Tolkien\Poems and Songs of Middle Eart\07 Poems and Songs of Middle Earth.mp3':
  Metadata:
    title           : Poems and Songs of Middle Earth
    album           : Poems and Songs of Middle Eart
    publisher       : Metal Blade
    genre           : Vocal;Poetry
    composer        : Swann, Donald
    track           : 7
    disc            : 1/1
    artist          : J.R.R. Tolkien/Donald Swann/William Elvin
    album_artist    : J.R.R. Tolkien/Donald Swann/William Elvin
    date            : 1967
  Duration: 00:42:43.97, start: 0.025056, bitrate: 320 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16p, 320 kb/s
    Metadata:
      encoder         : LAME3.99r
    Stream #0:1: Video: mjpeg, yuvj420p(pc), 500x474 [sAR 96:96 DAR 250:237], 90
k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
    Metadata:
      title           : thumbnail
      comment         : Cover (front)

>

[note: the misspelling of the album folder (Eart instead of Earth) is my user error, but shouldn't be the cause of the Artist issue as far as I can tell]

gcoupe

Renaming the folder didn't work, but I found something else. Looking in the ImagesByName folder, I see a folder for "J.R.R. Tolkien Donald Swann William Elvin", as well as the expected folder for "J.R.R. Tolkien".

And in that "J.R.R. Tolkien Donald Swann William Elvin" folder is an XML document with:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?>

-<Item>

<Added>3/18/2014 2:53:14 PM</Added>

<LockData>false</LockData>

<LocalTitle>J.R.R</LocalTitle>

</Item>

I think that is where the problem lies. And MB3 can't deal with multiple Album Artists properly...

ginjaninja

Renaming the folder didn't work, but I found something else. Looking in the ImagesByName folder, I see a folder for "J.R.R. Tolkien Donald Swann William Elvin", as well as the expected folder for "J.R.R. Tolkien".

And in that "J.R.R. Tolkien Donald Swann William Elvin" folder is an XML document with:

-

3/18/2014 2:53:14 PM

false

J.R.R

I think that is where the problem lies. And MB3 can't deal with multiple Album Artists properly...

Yes it looks like you have found source of issue.

Mb3 can deal with multiple artists but it has now got its knickers in a twist.

I think you will find if you get all your tags correct (done) and remove xml from collections and ibn\artists and delete spurious ibn folders (i would backup and remove all. Mine hold no volatile data) then rescan you will be good. And from now on dont edit names in dashboard other than to add mbzids if neccessary.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja