No 5.1 audio passthrough on new Sony Bravia

bobafett_h

sonicblue83

Hi, same problem here. Sony TV with Android 8 and eARC. With internal apps (not only Emby), only Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+ passthrough works fine (2.0 and 5.1). DTS and all HD audio causes much problems. Everything works fine with external players though (Apple TV, Shield).

Downmix to stereo works fine. But the audio volume is much lower than on every other apps which can cause serious pain in the ears if I forget to lower the volume after using Emby.

Therefore, I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to add an „downmix to 5.1 Dolby Digital“ mode, the same way it downmixes to 2.0 Dolby Digital right now?

2. Can you add an option to choose the audio volume when downmixing?

Edited by sonicblue83

It was fixed with Android TV 8. In general the implementation of passthrough in Android is just crap...

I think that only applies to these built-in TV OS versions...

sonicblue83

Well, it wasnt fixed on Sony TVs neither with Android 8 nor eARC.

When I choose audio output „auto" within Emby, at least Dolby Digital 5.1 play perfectly. Therefore, it would be great if Emby can add a downmix to Dolby Digital 5.1 option. Is that possible?

I hate having to add options in the app to work around bugs in limited specific platforms but it is possible...

sonicblue83

I understand you. :)

I dont know if it is a bug within Android TV, Sony TVs or if Sony purposely chose not to allow DTS and HD audio within the internal apps.

In any case, I fear there will not be and fast solution. Therefore, I hope Emby can integrate the workaround.

Gerrit507

@@ebr most of the official AndroidTV devices are TVs. I only know of two other devices, those are the Nvidia Shield and Xiaomi Mi Box.

@@sonicblue83 DD 5.1 is all you'll get on those devices. I had an Android TV with Android TV 5 and it had  DTS pass-through but then after that version it was all messed up. On my TV DTS pass-through only works in the philips media player. They must have some kind of special implementation there.

Another thing is that pass-through over optical only supports DD and DTS, no newer HD formats and HDMI ARC officially only supports those too. In theory though it would be possible to pass-through for example DTS:X over HDMI ARC but nobody implements it for some reason. The only (Android) device that has proper support for all those formats is the Nvidia Shield.

Edited by Gerrit507

bobafett_h

DTS passthrough works fine on my Sony TV when using the built-in Video app, DLNA or Archos video player. I can browse Emby on my phone to the movie I want, then cast it to the TV and it plays with DTS audio.

HDMI ARC and optical are both limited to the standard Dolby Digital and DTS formats, but a movie with a DTS-HD audio track should still be able to output the core DTS track to a connected receiver. Even though Dolby TrueHD is a different matter due to how the embedded Dolby Digital works, 5.1 audio should still be able to be output.

Since I originally started this thread, the audio receiver was replaced with a newer Yamaha system that supports ARC and the HD audio formats. It is connected to the TV via HDMI only and Dolby Digital or DD+ audio will be sent to the receiver without issue from within the Emby App. However, the audio of any movie that has a DTS or DTS-HD track will be transcoded to Dolby Digital by the server. It is annoying that this happens while the TV and receiver should both be more than capable of handling this.

I could still use Archos video player on the TV to output the DTS audio properly without transcoding, but that isn't a seamless user experience for the other members of my household, and the interface isn't as nice as the Emby app either. Personally if I am watching something I prefer to just pick the movie from the Emby app on my phone and cast it to the Blu-ray player (no Emby app on it) since that will output the full HD audio to the receiver. And for now that is acceptable, but to be able to eliminate or at least minimize transcoding would be wonderful.

Edited by bobafett_h

sonicblue83

On my 65AF9 DTS passthrough doesn't properly work with internal apps. On the other hand, together with my STR-DN1080 its has eARC and not only ARC. Therefore, the return channel also works with HD audio. If I connect external sources, everything works perfectly. Only with internal apps, only DD and DD+ works as it should.