Home screen - Next Up TV - missing items

adam1010
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

adam1010

This may be a "feature not a bug" situation as a result of me not understanding how you designed it to work...

But it seems like the list of "Next Up" TV shows is actually a SUPER SET of "Continue Watching" (excluding the in progress movies)--- that is, it should contain all items that are in progress (Continue Watching) + episodes where I'm at the start of an episode (if the SHOW has been watched recently).  You combine all those together into one list and take the most recent ~20 to include in the list.

If this is more or less the desired outcome, then I believe I've found a bug. I generally only display the "Next Up" row on my Android TV because it always includes stuff that is in progress (ie Continue Watching just contains stuff I can find in "Up Next", so I don't display it).  However, Up Next is occasionally missing items that I have to go and pull from the Continue Watching list. I'm happy to provide several examples but I first wanted to confirm this was actually a "bug" (per the design) before wasting any time filing a bug report.

If this is not actually a bug, can you explain why it's necessary to have both the "Next Next TV" and the "Continue Watching" lists? (other than Continue Watching is both Movies + TV episodes). 

Happy2Play

Continue Watching are items that have not been played to the end (they have Resume points) and have nothing to do with Next Up.

adam1010

Right. But "Next Up" should also include items that have Resume points too (assuming they aren't pushed off the list by more recent items that don't have Resume points).

So if my emby database has a total of 10 TV shows and I have watched 5min into each the first episode of each TV show, the two lists should be identical.

I made the observation of Continue Watching just to say that that's how I identify episodes that have resume points that aren't being included in Next Up.

So if my emby database has a total of 10 TV shows and I have watched 5min into each the first episode of each TV show, the two lists should be identical.

Correct, but when would that ever be the case?

"Next Up" is showing you the next episode available for any series you have started watching.  Now, if you partially watch the next episode, it will be in both Next Up and Continue Watching - but only if it is the Next Episode in the series.  For instance, if you had watched a series through episode 7 and episode 8 was available and then went back and partially watched episode 6.  Then Episode 6 would be in Continue Watching and Episode 8 would be in Next Up.

Continue watching also includes all videos - not just TV series.  We've discussed possibly combining these into one line but I'm not positive that is a good idea (like in the case I mentioned above - which one should we show).

adam1010

Thanks for the explainer @@ebr -- I never re-watch episodes, and I don't use Emby for movies, so that's why my Next Up and Continue watching are usually displaying the same content. Based on your response, I do believe there is a bug/problem

For example:  Last night I started the pilot of a TV Show and am about 10min (20% in). The episode is not showing in my "Next Up TV" section like it should. It's not marked as watched and I've only watched 2 other shows since then (which are both correctly displayed in Next Up).

So is there some other attribute about this pilot that would cause it not to be included in the "Next Up" section, or does this sound like a bug?

Happy2Play

The logic for Next Up requires at least one episode be watched before it will be followed by Next Up.

The logic for Next Up requires at least one episode be watched before it will be followed by Next Up.

Yes, I believe this is the answer.  There isn't a "Next" up because there hasn't been a First yet...

adam1010

Okay, that would explain why it doesn't show.   The follow-up would be, should we handle Pilots this way?

As the user I assume I can go to "Next Up" and jump back into whatever I was watching recently (seeing both episodes I was in the middle of and new episodes I haven't started).

In my mind, the "Next Up" is really "Stuff you probably want to watch because you were watching it recently" -- ie "Next things you'll probably want to watch" So it's my top row and the main place I go when I turn on the TV.

Obviously this is open for debate, but I always expect to see shows I was in the middle of in "Next Up" and I shouldn't have to remember if a show was Ep1 or Ep5 to know whether or not it's going to appear in that section. This feature is essentially "suggesting" episodes for me to watch based on what I watched recently and in my opinion, an episode being the first in the series shouldn't exclude it from the treatment we're giving to Ep2 and Ep3, etc.

adam1010

The complaint you received is that the user decided they didn't like the show after 10min and then had to keep seeing it displayed in the Next Up section?

Regardless of which episode you're in, if you decide to bail on a show, it's going to keep showing in Next Up until you delete it. Why does bailing during the first 30min (ie Ep1) warrant special treatment?

The way I see it is: If I've started watching a TV series, regardless of whether I'm 5min in (Ep1) or 200min in (Ep8), it should be recommending it as "Next Up". That section shows me what TV series are "in progress" and I can jump back in where I left off in the series.

adam1010

@@CBers I'm not sure I understood your question.

But yes, I do have another series where I'm 10min to Season2, Episode1 and it's NOT showing in Next Up either. Not sure if that's because it's an Ep1 or because I deleted Season 1 from emby so it's technically the first episode in my library.

This further illustrates my point. If I only have Ep5-10 in my Emby library, and I'm 10min to Ep5, it will NOT show in my Next Up!!!  Just because I deleted some older episodes (or never bought them in the first place), shouldn't exclude that show from Next Up, my go to location for continuing shows I have in progress.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@@CBers I'm not sure I understood your question.

But yes, I do have another series where I'm 10min to Season2, Episode1 and it's NOT showing in Next Up either. Not sure if that's because it's an Ep1 or because I deleted Season 1 from emby so it's technically the first episode in my library.

This further illustrates my point. If I only have Ep5-10 in my Emby library, and I'm 10min to Ep5, it will NOT show in my Next Up!!!  Just because I deleted some older episodes (or never bought them in the first place), shouldn't exclude that show from Next Up, my go to location for continuing shows I have in progress.

But It does if you have a watched episode in that series correct?  So your example ep6 would be listed in Next Up.

Basically, there will be nothing in Next Up if the previous episode was NOT marked as WATCHED.

So if you start at episode 5, it won't appear in the Next Up list as you never watched episodes 1-4.

There appears to also be a "how long since the previous episode was watched" rule, as that applies to episode 1's of a new season.

adam1010

@CBers  Yes, I understand the algorithm for why it's doing it. I'm saying that the algorithm should be changed.

If the point of Next Up is to help you get back into a TV series you were watching, then whether you're 10min (Ep1) or 200min in (Ep8), the first unwatched episode for all shows that you have STARTED should be included.

I shouldn't have to remember if I was on Ep1 or Ep2, or whether I had deleted Season 1 already...  I should be able to rely on "Next Up" to help me remember where I left off, and just because it was the first episode in my library shouldn't disqualify it.

adam1010

Users like me that often delete TV episodes (or entire seasons) after watching are constantly missing items in the Next Up TV.

What is the objection to changing the algorithm to address this?  @@Luke you mentioned complaints, can you be more specific?  Maybe there is another way to resolve them without butchering this feature.

• Like 1

Users like me that often delete TV episodes (or entire seasons) after watching are constantly missing items in the Next Up TV.

What is the objection to changing the algorithm to address this?  @@Luke you mentioned complaints, can you be more specific?  Maybe there is another way to resolve them without butchering this feature.

I think the answer there would have to be to somehow remember that you had and watched those previous episodes as opposed to always showing brand new items in Next Up.

The problem with the latter is any system where a whole bunch of Series are added at any point in time would potentially clutter Next Up for everyone.  The way we have it now, Next Up shows you only what you are watching - not everything on the system.

Now, having said that, I think once you start watching episode 1 of something, even if you don't finish it, should probably make it show up in Next Up.

• Like 1

adam1010

@@ebr Totally agree. Having it show series I've never watched would not be desirable. And once the series has been "touched" it should be eligible for Next Up (if it was touched recently).

I think the current implementation is 98% of the way there and it just needs the extra requirement of "Does this series have at least 1 fully-watched episode?" removed.  That would allow a pilot I'm 10min into to show up, and it would allow Season 2, Episode 1 to show up (if I don't have Season 1 in my library), and it would allow Season 4, Ep 3 to show up (if S4E3 is the only episode in my library).

If we removed that check then "Next Up TV" would become "Resume series you've started", allowing you to jump back into TV series that have been started but not finished.  Definitely an improvement in my opinion :-)

• 2 weeks later...
adam1010

@@ebr @@Luke I'm guessing that deciding what episodes are excluded from the "Up Next" section is a server-side update? We just tweak it there to remove the requirement that at least 1 watched episode exists in their Emby Library in order for a partially watched TV episode to appear there? (along-side all of the other partially watched TV episodes you've watched recently).  Then once the server is updated all clients get the updated logic without having to be individually updated?

adam1010

Thanks @@Luke -- I'm happy to take a crack at a pull request. This will be my first one for Emby so if you could point to the module/class where I should start looking to find the relevant code, I'd appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
adam1010

@@Luke I watched 10min of a pilot last night, and when I came back it was listed in "Next Up"!!  Did this update get implemented, or am I imagining things?

Edited by adam1010