"Cable TV" with paid programming

Airbender

Airbender

Hello Guys,

I am running into a new situation and wanted to see if some of you guys have any good solution for me  or advise :)

So recently i move out of my curent apartment to live with roommates, so i got my own master 1 bed 1 privet bath and an option in the future to add my own internet line from COX Communications 

However my rent includes 

1- Room with privet bathroom 

2- Cable TV : "Cable TV" with paid programming, my roommate said is cox communications basic plan zip code is 91942,

i used a spliter to divide to 2 connections , the first goes directly to my TV and second i left it alone just in case i need to use it with windows media center or PVR or if i have any other options

3- Wireless internet

4- Cable for Internet Jack not activated for my internal use,  unless i get roommate agreement with cox and get my own internet , at this moment i am not able to run a Ethernet cable across living room to my room from one router to my router

Now because of this new setup that i have i am not sure how to find which tv show are in air at what time , and i am not sure what to do to get some kind of a guide for it ? also because no wired network everything has to be on wirlease which is my other issue , my desktop pc which is daying at any time does not have any wireless so i bought a wireless USB

Note: i just move in so it will take me a month or mybe more before i can put my Server online as electricity is huge concern with roommate and before some say anything about roommate thing so here is the deal i  am getting divorce and got sprated so i cant afford a houe or apt for rent on my own

My one option is to re build my Desktop and add 1 or 2 (250GB HHD ) with one SSD to my pc and run windows 7 64bit or windows 8.1 64bit with media center , TV Tuner card , wireless , and recorded tv show with no media browser server

This could give me a guide and PVR functions and wont hurt electrical that much

Other options i am not sure at all to be honest as i did not have basic programming since 2006 and cable tv is cox communications in san diego , some had spoke about SiliconDust HDHomeRun but i dont know about that too http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5156-little-confused-about-live-tv/

Please advise

Koleckai Silvestri

You need to get a Cablecard from Cox. See this page: http://ww2.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId={ef9633d0-5c33-11df-ed4d-000000000000}

Once you get the card, you would put it in the HDHomeRun device. You can then use the LiveTV plugins and a server like ServerWMC to get your television guide and it will show in Media Browser Server and any clients that support it. You can search for specific channels on Google to find out if they are encrypted or not. Encryption would limit the show to the PC it is recorded on but you should be able to watch LiveTV on multiple PCs if you need to. It allows three tuners if I recall correctly. If you need more tuners, add a second HDHomerun and cable card to the network.

Airbender

Hello

No MB3 for long time as I am sharing electricity with 2 Roommates and server will consommé a lot of that unless u mean I take my desktop pc and make it mb3 server also just for short time. as far HDHomeRun wont be an option as i am using wireless so no wired network 

Thanks

Edited by Airbender

• 2 weeks later...
Airbender

Hello Guys,

I have WinTV-HVR-1850 which has 2 coaxial input in the back, i wanted to recode tv shows from my Paid Programming "Cable TV" from COX Communications.

See i am running into few problems and wanted to see what are my best options. My HTPC With Win 7 64bit OS and Windows Media Center and i have 3 Hard drives in it. First drive is OS SSD , Second drive is 250GB Empty , Third Drive is 250 Empty

I want to be able to:

1- Recode TV Shows

2- Be able to Recode 2 or 3 shows at same time if they are air in same schedule date and time

3- When i try to select the Big bang theory it actually selected all 51 episodes that was suppose to be broadcasted in that week which will take a lot of space.

So what you guys recommend me to do here

Thanks in advance

Vidman

Hello

No MB3 for long time as I am sharing electricity with 2 Roommates and server will consommé a lot of that unless u mean I take my desktop pc and make it mb3 server also just for short time. as far HDHomeRun wont be an option as i am using wireless so no wired network

Thanks

Have you considered power line networking at all?