Live TV suddenly stopped working

GreenAndPrickly
Go to solution Solved by GreenAndPrickly,

GreenAndPrickly

Everything working fine until about 1600Z.   (9:00 AM MST)

Suddenly the following live tv issue appeared:

Roku Emby app launches OK, displays all expected sections, goes through all motions until OK is pressed on green arrow to launch a channel.

Spinner spins a few seconds, then a "Playback Error" screen appears with no tuner selected.  

Two Silicondust Primes are present and communicating, with no tuners active at all.  

I have rebooted the server computer, the Roku, and the Primes. Error solid as a rock.

I am totally baffled as to what the problem is.

I have attached a zip with all the logs for the entire day up to present

GreenAndPrickly

Hi.  Does it work in the web app?

Are you sure you aren't just experiencing an error at the source?

No, Spinner spins forever if a channel is launched in web app.

NPVR (on same machine) plays live tV instantly in its web app.

Media Center also tunes channels instantly on same machine

Okay, well you forgot to attach the log but please don't attach a zip of every log from today.  Please just attach a single server log (and ffmpeg log if present) representing the issue you are having.

Thanks.

GreenAndPrickly

Okay, well you forgot to attach the log but please don't attach a zip of every log from today.  Please just attach a single server log (and ffmpeg log if present) representing the issue you are having.

Thanks.

I guess I forgot to click the "Attach this file" button after selecting the zip. The server machine was rebooted several times since, partly to install recent Windows updates.  I will try to figure out exactly where the issue started and send that log.  

My wife just explained to me at lunch what she had done just before the error:

She had left the room with a news channel playing on the Roku.  She returned a few minutes later and realized she wanted to see a segment that was being discussed which had occurred while she was out of the room.  She hit pause on the Harmony and then backed up live TV roughly 5 minutes. She played the desired segment until an ad appeared, whereupon she then skipped forward to get past the ad.  It was at that point that an error screen appeared. Upon clicking OK to get past the error, she was presented with the screen with the green arrow to "tune to channel" again.  After the spinner spun for a few seconds another error screen appeared and Emby has been unable to serve live TV since. Same thing happens with every attempt to tune to any live channel. Other apps can access the Prime tuners just fine.   

(Two keys on the Harmony are programmed to execute macros for forward and backward skips of 30 seconds.  The backward skip macro generates three "direction left" commands (which are each 10 second back skips).  The forward is similar, using "Direction right" commands. She used these keys to effect the back skips and forward skips.).

I think her actions are likely coincidental.  IOW - something has happened to make the Live TV streams not play and she just happened to be skipping around when that happened.

The Emby server has been rebooted, correct?

You might also try running a refresh guide task.  Maybe something happened like your tuners got a new IP address...

Kimballslice1890

Had an issue similar to yours but not as intense. What was happening for me was the transcoding cache folder was filling up with DVR data and once the disk became full it purged and kicked everyone off TV. You had to wait for the Tuner to catch up with emby kicking everyone off, then you could restart the streams. My solution was increasing the hard drive size that it was being cached to.

• Like 1

GreenAndPrickly

The Ember server app was rebooted early on.  The windows machine itself was rebooted. m(several times)  The Roku was rebooted.  Just about everything but the router.

No IPs have changed.  The tuners, the Roku, and the server all have fixed IPs.  Almost everything on my LAN has a fixed IP.  About the only device without a  fixed IP is a laptop which currently isn't running. 

The error seems to have something to do with a Socket Exception.  See at about 09:28.

I have also included the latest log that shows startup. 

ServerLogs.zip

GreenAndPrickly

Had an issue similar to yours but not as intense. What was happening for me was the transcoding cache folder was filling up with DVR data and once the disk became full it purged and kicked everyone off TV. You had to wait for the Tuner to catch up with emby kicking everyone off, then you could restart the streams. My solution was increasing the hard drive size that it was being cached to.

I set up a dedicated 50 gig partition yesterday for the Transcoding temps, after discovering it had 24K files on my system SSD.

It is conceivable that partition filled this morning, but of course hard to say since all the files disappeared when I restarted the Emby server.

Kimballslice1890

I set up a dedicated 50 gig partition yesterday for the Transcoding temps, after discovering it had 24K files on my system SSD.

It is conceivable that partition filled this morning, but of course hard to say since all the files disappeared when I restarted the Emby server.

I had about the same. I noticed when watching an HD stream (depending on how high the quality) it would take about a gig every 2-3 minutes. If theres more than one person streaming you obviously multiply that. I had to up mine from 50 to 300 just to avoid it happening.

You may not be having the same issue, but I figured I'd chime in with my experience as I just switched over to using TV on Emby.

GreenAndPrickly

What apparently has happened is that suddenly NPVR refuses to talk to Emby.  No settings were were changed.  It simply stopped working.

In the Windows event log (Application events) I discovered that NPVR Recording service stopped and restarted at about the same time of this happening.  No reason given, and no other instance of that stopping anywhere else. 

How do I fix this? Reinstall the plugin?  Reinstall Emby?

• Solution
GreenAndPrickly

Have you tried rebooting your machine? Why would next pvr not want to talk to emby?

I will repeat for the 3rd time: Yes, I rebooted several times. 

I reinstalled Emby completely this morning (purged evertything).  .  Still NO GO.

I then went into windows firewall and examined all the settings. They looked OK.  However, on a hunch I decided to create a NextPVR  outgoing  entry with all ports allowed on private connection.  

Voila!  It is now working.  (I even changed both the NPVR port and PIN, and it works fine.  However,  NPVR remote access is blocked since I have no need for remote access.)

I have no idea what changed with respect to the firewall, but this now works on Browser, and on the Roku. 

Previously, all attempted connections looked like this:

2018-09-24 10:44:04.956 Error HttpClient: Error getting response from http://localhost:8866/public/Util/NPVR/Client/Instantiate
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.5.3.0
Command line: C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Processor count: 4
Program data path: C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
Application directory: C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Http.ConnectHelper.ConnectAsync(String host, Int32 port, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask`1.get_Result()
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.WaitForCreatedConnectionAsync(ValueTask`1 creationTask)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.CreateConnectionAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.WaitForCreatedConnectionAsync(ValueTask`1 creationTask)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.DecompressionHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.FinishSendAsyncUnbuffered(Task`1 sendTask, HttpRequestMessage request, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10061): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

2018-09-24 10:44:04.957 Error App: Error getting recordings
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.5.3.0
Command line: C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Processor count: 4
Program data path: C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
Application directory: C:\Users\Phil\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.Get(HttpRequestOptions options)
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.InitiateSession(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.EnsureConnectionAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.GetTimersAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.LiveTvManager.<>c__DisplayClass75_0.<<GetTimersInternal>b__0>d.MoveNext()
System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.Get(HttpRequestOptions options)
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.InitiateSession(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.EnsureConnectionAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.NextPvr.LiveTvService.GetTimersAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.LiveTvManager.<>c__DisplayClass75_0.<<GetTimersInternal>b__0>d.MoveNext()
InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10061): No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
  • Like 1

GreenAndPrickly

Well done.

I am still baffled that Emby+NPVR worked OK for days without the firewall blocking anything and then suddenly it starts blocking what I presume is the NPVR add-in..

Edited by GreenAndPrickly