had an issue with emby not working

hjason7812

i did that before i found the plugin there and it always failed.. it finally installed after 2 hours stuck at 75%.. any idea how to setup storage for it in the jail? there's nowhere to set it up like in 11.1

Awesome that the plugin install works! 

In the GUI, under the jails tab, all the way to the right of the listed jail you'll see 3 dots ... Click that and then click mount points. It brings up a new page, then click the + and you should be able to add the mount point from there.

hjason7812

Update: Once emby gets shut off to implement the media storage it will not turn back on again even after a full reboot of freenas.. 

Do i need to put the media folders in the iocage data set that appeared in my hard disk storage area for this to work?

Also do i need to upgrade my pool from zfs because the new structure doesn't support the old zfs, also how do i do that?

Thanks sorry for being a pain but this new ui and everything is weird to me..

hjason7812

i'm done with this it is so ridiculous that it is made so difficult to apply your media to the jail but you have to shut down the emby server to do it. i just tested stopping emby and starting it back up without adding storage and it works fine.. But when you add just one media file for storage it doesn't work anymore.. grrrrrrrrr

makarai

i'm done with this it is so ridiculous that it is made so difficult to apply your media to the jail but you have to shut down the emby server to do it. i just tested stopping emby and starting it back up without adding storage and it works fine.. But when you add just one media file for storage it doesn't work anymore.. grrrrrrrrr

How do you mount the storage? Can you post a screenshot of your mounted storage? its a known issue with FREENAS BETA 3 that mounting storage into non existing folder prevents the jail from starting. It is not embys fault.

hjason7812

How do you mount the storage? Can you post a screenshot of your mounted storage? its a known issue with FREENAS BETA 3 that mounting storage into non existing folder prevents the jail from starting. It is not embys fault.

i tried putting my media into the media folder, and mnt folder but it didn't work...

So i gave up and deleted emby until this is fix, kind of messed up to have something that doesn't even work..

I put the emby app on my old windows machine until it is fixed.. it runs like crap but at least it is working now..

The only problem i have with the newly updated emby is the collections folder doesn't work anymore. it isn't there and movie don't show they're in a collection now..

makarai

i tried putting my media into the media folder, and mnt folder but it didn't work...

So i gave up and deleted emby until this is fix, kind of messed up to have something that doesn't even work..

I put the emby app on my old windows machine until it is fixed.. it runs like crap but at least it is working now..

The only problem i have with the newly updated emby is the collections folder doesn't work anymore. it isn't there and movie don't show they're in a collection now..

Again, how did you mount the folder?

adrianwi

It's certainly a frustrating time for anyone just finding FreeNAS!  It does work really well with emby though, so stick with it and people will be able to help you through the issues.

I suspect in this case you need to create the folders inside the jail that you are trying to mount the external datasets to?  If the folder doesn't exist, the jail won't start.  You might be able to create these in the FreeNAS shell rather than removing them, restarting the jail to create the folders, and then recreate the mounts.

adrianwi

As I said earlier, it's a period of flux which actually started when FreeNAS Corral (10) was released and quickly pulled last year.

There are a lot of people running beta versions that really shouldn't but have been pushed in that direction due to problems using 11.1 and having something work in the old UI and some only work in the new.  It all works pretty well in the command line, but many people don't want to be entering text at a shell prompt.

I have 3 VMs running byhve (2 created using iohyve at the command line, and 1 using the WUI) and 9 iocage jails running (all created at the command line, either manually or using .json scripts) and they all work perfectly, and just as well as VirtualBox and warden in FreeNAS 9.x

I hope you get it sorted, as it does work, and shouldn't be this difficult, but with all the behind the scene changes things will continue to be a challenge for a good few months yet I think.

hjason7812

Yeah I'm done trying to get emby working on freenas until it all gets fixed. I don't and never have used cmd line or shell before and don't intend to learn just to get emby running the way it is supposed to in the first place.

I put emby on my old pc to grab media from freenas. Works ok but not as good as it does direct from freenas..

Yeah I'm done trying to get emby working on freenas until it all gets fixed. I don't and never have used cmd line or shell before and don't intend to learn just to get emby running the way it is supposed to in the first place.

I put emby on my old pc to grab media from freenas. Works ok but not as good as it does direct from freenas..

If the official instructions to install are based on the command line and all those running it successfully have set it up using the command line, your refusal to attempt to learn how to use shell is not the fault of emby.

If you talk to any FreeNAS guru, I guarantee not one of them uses the gui to do ANYTHING. I'm far from that guru, but I learned many years ago that I should learn my way around commands otherwise I wasn't going to get very far with FreeNAS. And that extends well beyond Emby.

If the new GUI you bothers you so much, why don't you just Legacy Web Interface on the login screen and go back to the old one? 

hjason7812

First of all you don't need to know or use cmd line or shell to use freenas successfully. Everything can be done through the gui that is until now..

Second of all the instructions on the new emby install page explicitly say you need to use the new gui to use emby.

That is why i am not using the legacy gui....

makarai

First of all you don't need to know or use cmd line or shell to use freenas successfully. Everything can be done through the gui that is until now..

Second of all the instructions on the new emby install page explicitly say you need to use the new gui to use emby.

That is why i am not using the legacy gui....

The guide outlined here in this thread is after the official guidelines for creating custom plugins. Check the guide in the sidebar of freenas. What ever you do here with the cli will create a fully working plug-in and won't break your precious nas.

Either you accept the help offered here or you come back when freenas is out of its beta stages.

hjason7812

That's just it there's no help.. all tgere is is big headed people saying how fine everyone elses emby works but offer no help.

I've been here asking for help for 2 day's now and have gotten nothing really.

makarai

I am not sure what you are talking about, I have been answering every post from you trying to troubleshoot.

I am asking for Screenshots from your mount points, and asked which way you have tried to install the plugins you provided no information at all. Then other people chimed in recommending to use the cli, which is the same as if an up to date plug-in service from freenas would exist.

Which you refuse to at least try.

If you use the cli it would be the same as if buttons would exist in the new gui. They will come when freenas get rids of the bugs

Edited by makarai

adrianwi

That's just it there's no help.. all tgere is is big headed people saying how fine everyone elses emby works but offer no help.

I've been here asking for help for 2 day's now and have gotten nothing really.

If that's what you genuinely think, there is little hope.  Lots of people have offered support in this thread, but you're either choosing to ignore it or refusing to follow it as it's using something your not familiar with (the command line).  Whilst I agree that knowing your way around the back end of FreeNAS isn't essential, knowing a little makes life so much easier.

My thread on the FreeNAS forum should be easy enough to follow for setting up emby using the command line.  Read the last post first, before following the relevant steps of the guide to create your mount points.  I think the reason why your jail won't restart after stopping it, is that you're not creating the folders to mount too inside the jail.  FreeNAS should create them if they don't exist, but it sounds like this is a bug in the latest beta.

Good luck.

If that's what you genuinely think, there is little hope.  Lots of people have offered support in this thread, but you're either choosing to ignore it or refusing to follow it as it's using something your not familiar with (the command line).  Whilst I agree that knowing your way around the back end of FreeNAS isn't essential, knowing a little makes life so much easier.

My thread on the FreeNAS forum should be easy enough to follow for setting up emby using the command line.  Read the last post first, before following the relevant steps of the guide to create your mount points.  I think the reason why your jail won't restart after stopping it, is that you're not creating the folders to mount too inside the jail.  FreeNAS should create them if they don't exist, but it sounds like this is a bug in the latest beta.

Good luck.

He mentioned he tried mounting his storage to both /media and /mnt which should be part of the standard jail structure. So I believe that would let the gui mount it. But how does the gui handle permissions when mounting?

I wonder if it has anything to do with needing 

sysrc emby_server_enable=“YES”

I haven't personally tried to install via the gui plugin interface. I believe the default setting is changed with 3.5.3 but I think the plugin gui is installing 3.5.2

But in order to try that command, he's got to go into the shell which he's outright refusing to do. *shrugs*

adrianwi

He mentioned he tried mounting his storage to both /media and /mnt which should be part of the standard jail structure. 

The /mnt folder should be, but not sure about /media? 

I like to mount each dataset individually, so create /media and then /media/tv, /media/movies, /media/music, etc. and mount these individually.

I'm sure once 12.1 gets released most of these kinks will have been ironed out, but for the time being a little effort understanding some basic commands goes a long way.