3.6.0.XX Config file question

MRobi

As I've alluded to in another post, I keep all my Emby config files mounted outside of the iocage jail at /mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby

I then mount this folder to /config inside the emby jail and change the rc.d from /var/db/emby-server to /config

This way I can easily load all my settings and database even in a fresh jail build.

I've just done this exact setup that I've done numerous times in the past with 3.6.0.46 and it successfully loads all of my settings and full library. But if I try to add a new folder to the library I get a permission error, and a library scan fails instantly.

If I revert the rc.d file back to /var/db/emby-server while changing no other permissions I can successfully add and update the exact same files that are giving me a permission error. My next step was to create a new folder at /mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby-server and mount that to /config inside the jail. Again, no problem adding or scanning library. 

I then tried to pull in the settings using the backup plugin, but when I load one of the backups it just sits and gives me a spinning circle.

Is there something different in the config or database between 3.6 and 3.5 and below that would cause this to happen? Cause I'm stumped on this one. 

Unfortunately I'm not sure. Why not just use the default config location?

I like to store all plugin configs outside of the jail in a separate dataset for configs only. That way if I have a jail crash and no choice but to destroy it, I can quickly and easily load my config dataset again and can be back up and running in usually 10mins of less. 

In today's situation, I was on 3.5.2.0 which I had always manually downloaded the file and extracted it. I decided to try the beta and used pkg add assuming it would install into the same location. Unfortunately it installs it to /usr/local/opt instead and I ended up in a big mess with 2 versions of emby attempting to run in 1 jail. So I destroyed the jail completely and started from scratch. Now as soon as I edit the rc.d file to point to my config folder I start getting permission errors, can't scan the library and can't keep the server stable and running. Constant crashing. As soon as I put it back to the default location within the jail, it works no problem.

adrianwi

Does it work if you mount /mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby to /var/db/emby-server?

iocage fstab -a <jail_name> '/mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby /var/db/emby-server nullfs rw 0 0'

makarai

@@MRobi, i use the normal database, i rsync my db sometimes, at moment the only thing that does not get backed using the backup config up is the covers metadata/artwork and devices. So when you recreate the db in 3.6.xx it takes sometime to get the artwork back, and everyone has to re-log in, but during a night its done.

I recommend installing a second installation just with 3.6, export and import the config, add your multimedia and then switch. I only have a small server, so for me it takes about 10-15 minutes to go from 0 to a running installation. 

Does it work if you mount /mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby to /var/db/emby-server?

iocage fstab -a <jail_name> '/mnt/MEDIA/apps/emby /var/db/emby-server nullfs rw 0 0'

Yes it does!!! Loaded all the settings and library scan is currently underway. 

Any idea why that would be?

adrianwi

LOL :D

I have no idea, but also use a similar approach to you in that all my jail 'data' is stored outside the jail ((e.g. /mnt/pool/embydb) and mounted back in.  The only difference is that I just mount it back to where it needs to be (in this case /var/db/emby-server) rather than to a /config folder and then changing other things inside the jail.

You seem to be adding an unnecessary step, which in this case also breaks it.

makarai

Well it worked until I restarted the jail, now I can't get the service to start at all :(

Freenas Version? (Ithink you mentioned FreeNAS 11.2 Beta 3)

Does the jail come up, but the interface is not working? (if so go into the jail and type service emby-server start)

Edited by makarai

What version of FreeNAS are you running?

Freenas 11.2 Beta 3

Freenas Version? (Ithink you mentioned FreeNAS 11.2 Beta 3)

Does the jail come up, but the interface is not working? (if so go into the jail and type service emby-server start)

The jail loads no problem, but the interface will not load as soon as I put in the library file. service emby-server start will start emby and it crashes almost instantly. I did some more experimenting last night by copying 1 folder from the config dir at a time. It seems to be the data folder that houses the library that throws everything off. I really can't see it being a different format, but there's something in that file that 3.6 does not like. And why it worked that one time until a restart, I have no sweet clue.

So ultimately I created 2 new jails using the new instructions. I created 2 new folders on my config dataset. 1 called emby-server and 1 called emby-server-beta. Referenced them to /var/db/emby in their respective jails. 

Now my library is being pulled into it (it's huge, takes 24-48hrs to pull it all in). I'll pull in my watched states from trakt and setup a scheduled task to do so overnight to keep them both in sync. 

Had I not been so stubborn and insisting that I could make the old library work, I'd have probably done that about 15 hours sooner. LOL

Edited by MRobi

makarai

@@MRobi I had the interface not respond once,the reason was when i created a new jail the jail got a new ip address as well, however my old config had a different ip address set so i had to go into the config.xml file and change the ip address manually (or leave it empty).

Edited by makarai

@@MRobi I had the interface not respond once,the reason was when i created a new jail the jail got a new ip address as well, however my old config had a different ip address set so i had to go into the config.xml file and change the ip address manually (or leave it empty).

hmmmm you may be on to something. I'm on the road for the week so I can't test. But my regular IP is .100 and I put the beta at .199