New to Emby - Remote Server Connection

JustinKowalsky
Go to solution Solved by mastrmind11,

JustinKowalsky

Hey guys, I recently heard about Emby after looking around because Plex was messed up on me. What i am wanting to do is be able to stream videos from my pc which has all my media files that are uploaded to Emby, and play from my phone, connected to my home network, to my TV through chromecast (which seems to work fine). My problem is when I am not connected to my home network on my phone, but I can see my home PC as the server, i keep getting "We're unable to connect to the server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again". The server is running and through Remote Desktop Connection on the same phone, i am able to connect to my PC and play videos on my PC. What do i have to do to remotely watch my movies and stuff while not connected to my home network on my phone.

Thanks

• Like 1

EODCrafter

Hey guys, I recently heard about Emby after looking around because Plex was messed up on me. What i am wanting to do is be able to stream videos from my pc which has all my media files that are uploaded to Emby, and play from my phone, connected to my home network, to my TV through chromecast (which seems to work fine). My problem is when I am not connected to my home network on my phone, but I can see my home PC as the server, i keep getting "We're unable to connect to the server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again". The server is running and through Remote Desktop Connection on the same phone, i am able to connect to my PC and play videos on my PC. What do i have to do to remotely watch my movies and stuff while not connected to my home network on my phone.

Thanks

Have you set up Port Forwarding thru your Router? Not sure if this is even necessary but it's worth a try. 8096 is Emby's default port.

JustinKowalsky

Have you set up Port Forwarding thru your Router? Not sure if this is even necessary but it's worth a try. 8096 is Emby's default port.

I tried. I think my problem is because I am using 2 routers. 1 is the main router that the internet connection is going to. I then have a router that is hardwired into that router in my own room with its own signal and IP address. They are both DLINK-DIR 822 routers. How can i configure the 2 routers properly in order to have emby setup properly. The main router is set with a Static IP and the the 2nd on is set with dynamic IP but it is reserved on the first router so it always stays the same.

EODCrafter

I tried. I think my problem is because I am using 2 routers. 1 is the main router that the internet connection is going to. I then have a router that is hardwired into that router in my own room with its own signal and IP address. They are both DLINK-DIR 822 routers. How can i configure the 2 routers properly in order to have emby setup properly. The main router is set with a Static IP and the the 2nd on is set with dynamic IP but it is reserved on the first router so it always stays the same.

Hmmm, good question. Never had 2 routers...Port forward 8096 on both to all connections if you can't figure out the IP of the Router feeding the other Router.

JustinKowalsky

Hmmm, good question. Never had 2 routers...Port forward 8096 on both to all connections if you can't figure out the IP of the Router feeding the other Router.

I will try port forwarding on both. I have access to both routers, im just not sure entirely how to configure it properly. 

EODCrafter

I will try port forwarding on both. I have access to both routers, im just not sure entirely how to configure it properly. 

Is your Router like all others? Well I suppose it can't be since most routers you configure thru 192.168.1.1 in a browser. How do you access the other router?

One will need to Port your IP to your Emby Server and the other to the Router>>>Router IP. I'm pretty sure Emby Will Auto Port one of them...Probably the one that directly servers your Machine with Emby on it.

Edited by EODCrafter

JustinKowalsky

Is your Router like all others? Well I suppose it can't be since most routers you configure thru 192.168.1.1 in a browser. How do you access the other router?

One will need to Port your IP to your Emby Server and the other to the Router>>>Router IP.

I access the main router by doing 192.168.0.1 and the 2nd one i access by doing dlinkrouter/local or something similar.

EODCrafter

I access the main router by doing 192.168.0.1 and the 2nd one i access by doing dlinkrouter/local or something similar.

Try Porting the "Main" router and try that 1st. It should have a "Device" list to show the other Router and use that IP to Forward.

http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering

Edited by EODCrafter

JustinKowalsky

Try Porting the "Main" router and try that 1st. It should have a "Device" list to show the other Router and use that IP to Forward.

To which IP address? The one of the 2nd router?

mastrmind11

If they're both true routers, then there should be an uplink port that routes the signal from that port to the other ports.  You shouldn't have to forward anything on the first router, just plug the first into the uplink port on the second.  On most consumer routers the port is labeled WAN or Internet.  Considering that it appears this is an area of non-expertise, I'm surprised you haven't run into other issues w/ this setup (double NAT, conflicting IPs, etc).

JustinKowalsky

If they're both true routers, then there should be an uplink port that routes the signal from that port to the other ports.  You shouldn't have to forward anything on the first router, just plug the first into the uplink port on the second.  On most consumer routers the port is labeled WAN or Internet.  Considering that it appears this is an area of non-expertise, I'm surprised you haven't run into other issues w/ this setup (double NAT, conflicting IPs, etc).

I do have it connected through the WAN port. And yea, i have never had any issues with the setup before. I will try some stuff later today when i get home, just trying to get some ideas right now.

• Solution
mastrmind11

I do have it connected through the WAN port. And yea, i have never had any issues with the setup before. I will try some stuff later today when i get home, just trying to get some ideas right now.

Ok so if that's the case, you just need to forward 8096 on your main router to 8096 on your local network.

You could also try connecting your server into main router and doing the port forward, just to rule out if it's the 2nd router thats jacking stuff up.

• Like 2

Essentially what you want to do is manually setup port forwarding on both routers.  You set the "external" router port forwarding to the "internal" router that is connected to your Emby server.  You then setup the "internal" router to port forward to your Emby server.

If you can't figure it out shoot me a PM and I can help you set this up quickly with TeamViewer or similar.  Been there done this before...

Carlo

JustinKowalsky

Essentially what you want to do is manually setup port forwarding on both routers.  You set the "external" router port forwarding to the "internal" router that is connected to your Emby server.  You then setup the "internal" router to port forward to your Emby server.

If you can't figure it out shoot me a PM and I can help you set this up quickly with TeamViewer or similar.  Been there done this before...

Carlo

Alright, thanks! I will give it a shot and if i cant seem to figure it out i will shoot you a message. Thanks

mastrmind11

Alright, thanks! I will give it a shot and if i cant seem to figure it out i will shoot you a message. Thanks

in reality, you should really put your 2nd router in bridge mode so that your main router is the one doing the NAT and DHCP stuff, and your second router just acts like a switch.  Then you'd only have 1 place to do the port forwarding/etc.  But, that's a different topic for another time I'd imagine.  Good luck!