Scan Library from App

PiERiT

I use the Android TV app and it would be great to have an option to scan a library for new files from within the app. I believe the Plex app has this feature.

I have the option set for automatic scanning on all my libraries but sometimes it takes a few minutes to work, so this manual scan option would help.

Hi.  We may consider this but, if you already have the realtime monitoring feature turned on and it works on your files system, I don't think adding this will get you your content any faster.

Hi,

I do have realtime monitoring on and it works well enough and eventually scans new items, but let's say I download something new into a library folder -- it won't appear in the library until 3-5 minutes after. Definitely not a big deal but I've been grabbing my phone and browsing to my Emby website and hitting Scan All Libraries to add it faster in some instances.

So if that Scan All Libraries function can be built into the app somehow, it would help in this scenario I think.

Edited by PiERiT

I would use this myself.  I often find my RECORDING library is wrong due to processing scripts that run in the background that remove items from the recording location as they are being processed.  I wouldn't mind a quick way to refresh the lib from a client (admins only or those delegated this).

• 4 years later...

Hi, bumping this again after 4 years.

Would love this feature on the Android TV player app.

I am finding the "Enable real time monitoring" feature more miss than hit lately, plus the prior examples of wanting a scan immediately instead of waiting still stands as relevant.

15 hours ago, KRULL said:

Hi, bumping this again after 4 years.

Would love this feature on the Android TV player app.

I am finding the "Enable real time monitoring" feature more miss than hit lately, plus the prior examples of wanting a scan immediately instead of waiting still stands as relevant.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Hi, I sideloaded the standard apps APK. 
The option to refresh server library works in the same way as it does on a mobile device, long press Select for the options to come up. Not intuitive on TV for those that have never used the mobile device, but fine for testing. 

However, it’s not really useable as all audio is output as DD+. I tested True-HD and all forms of DTS and my receiver reported DD+ as its source on all occasions. The mobile app doesn’t have the same audio options as the Android TV version. 

anyway, if the mobiles ability to offer that menu could be brought across to the TV version it would be great. I would suggest it added to the selectable options that get listed on the right hand side once inside a particular library. 
EG, select Movies, and it would be like one of the filter options on the right. Long press on the Home Screen library options could remain, but again, that’s not intuitive for those that have never used the mobile option. 

Not intuitive on TV for those that have never used the mobile device, but fine for testing. 

Hi, this is a normal pattern for TV apps as well. Many TV apps have long press context menus. The reality is, this function is not going to get a dedicated on-screen button so the context menu is what you're going to have to use.

anyway, if the mobiles ability to offer that menu could be brought across to the TV version it would be great.

If it happens, it would be the same long press context menu.

I tested True-HD and all forms of DTS and my receiver reported DD+ as its source on all occasions. The mobile app doesn’t have the same audio options as the Android TV version. 

Does your receiver support passthrough of truehd and dts? The standard app fully supports that.

I’m personally 100% fine with the context menu only appearing with the long press option. I was just pointing out that there’s no context or reason given for a new user to know that the option would exist. Nothing else within the TV app operates under long press. 

Yes, my receiver processors all. It works 100% correctly with the TV app. My feedback was specifically about the mobile app and how it’s working on the Shield, thus not a viable alternative if all I and others wanted was to have the Scan Library addition. 

Just now, KRULL said:

I’m personally 100% fine with the context menu only appearing with the long press option. I was just pointing out that there’s no context or reason given for a new user to know that the option would exist. Nothing else within the TV app operates under long press. 

I understand, but this is kind of what happens with TV apps in general (not just Emby), when certain functions are not deemed to be frequently used enough to give them dedicated on-screen real estate. 

Before I do that, are you expecting the mobile app to handle DTS and True-HD etc…?

Unlike the TV app, there are no options in the settings to handle it. 

5 minutes ago, KRULL said:

Before I do that, are you expecting the mobile app to handle DTS and True-HD etc…?

Unlike the TV app, there are no options in the settings to handle it. 

It doesn't have any options for those. It will pass those through to a receiver right out of the box if it is supported.