External HDD files not seen

king217
Go to solution Solved by mastrmind11,

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out. I've been using Emby for quite a while and rarely have any issues, but I've been having one that i just can't seem to figure out.

I need more space on my internal drives for games. Since I had a nearly empty external drive attached to my PC I figured I could just move my media files to it. So i moved some of the files, added the new locations to the library and thought nothing of it. The rest of my library that is on my internal drive works fine on the server. 

A couple of months have passed since then and I didn't realize there was an issue. Now I'm trying to watch my movies and shows but can't seem to do it. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Hi there, can you please go over an example? Thanks.

Sure, for instance, my family photos that i was hosting on my server no longer show up on the server after being moved to the external HDD. Even though I added a path to the correct folders, the files located externally do not show up on the server.

mastrmind11

Sure, for instance, my family photos that i was hosting on my server no longer show up on the server after being moved to the external HDD. Even though I added a path to the correct folders, the files located externally do not show up on the server.

Can you see them outside of Emby?  If so, try removing the library and re-adding it with only the new location.

That question above, and can you please also discuss the folder structure and how you configured it in emby server? thanks.

Can you see them outside of Emby?  If so, try removing the library and re-adding it with only the new location.

If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I can see and play all of the videos on vlc with no issues. I have removed and added the new locations to the library a few times now, still nothing.

• Solution
mastrmind11

If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes, I can see and play all of the videos on vlc with no issues. I have removed and added the new locations to the library a few times now, still nothing.

As in, remove the library completely and create a new one w/ the stuff at the new location.

• Like 1

That question above, and can you please also discuss the folder structure and how you configured it in emby server? thanks.

The way the folders are structured is as follows

Movies: Movies folder>each movie in their own folder titled after the movie>movie file along with other data such as thumbnails

Tv Shows: Tv shows folder>A folder for each show>A folder for each season>files for the thumbnails and episodes of that season

The way the folders are structured is as follows

Movies: Movies folder>each movie in their own folder titled after the movie>movie file along with other data such as thumbnails

Tv Shows: Tv shows folder>A folder for each show>A folder for each season>files for the thumbnails and episodes of that season

Can you discuss an example in more detail, as well as how it is configured in emby library setup? Screenshots are helpful. thanks !

As in, remove the library completely and create a new one w/ the stuff at the new location.

That seems to have fixed it. So simple, I should've tried it a long time ago. Thanks a lot!

mastrmind11

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-drive-letter

This would've saved you having to rescan your entire library.

Ah, nice find.  I was working under the assumption that the path to the files were stored in the db and therefore needed to be upserted.  Good info nonetheless.

Ah, nice find.  I was working under the assumption that the path to the files were stored in the db and therefore needed to be upserted.  Good info nonetheless.

The paths are kept in the DB. This is why drive rename works. You can make the new drive be the old path of the old drive. Now all the newly copied files match the old path. The time savings though it would depend on which had more files to scan. If he copied almost all the files over to the new drive, but a few. If it were two drives, say D: and E: and E is the new drive. Rename the D to Z, rename E to D, rename Z to E. Now have both locations still known in the DB, but now when you scan it updates all the paths that need it.

If you moved more files than remained, it would be faster to rename drives and scan. If you left more files than you moved then scanning without drive rename is faster.

Edited by speechles