Photo Library: Sort photos by EXIF information [Planned]

HediSIX
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

As suggested by @ebr I have split my original request to allow better monitoring of interest and progress.

The original request is here https://emby.media/c...brary-overhaul/

If you are interested please like the post.

Currently we have the same sorting options in the Photo Library as the other library. I think it is not exactly in line with the content displayed here.

It would be nice to add the EXIF elements in the sorting options. This would allow us to sort our pictures by date taken (regardless of file name, camera, etc.) or by camera, aperture, etc.

Below is an example of the EXIF information stored in file by the camera:

5ba24aca176e8_EXIF.jpg

Edited by HediSIX
  • Like 8

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Emby guys

Any time estimation on when photos will be able to be sorted by the EXIF value 'Date/Time Original' (i.e. Date Taken) to allow for proper sorting when there are differing file name patterns (e.g. from different cameras) within the same folder ? I see people have been requesting this feature for the past 5 years or so and it always seems to be 'in the pipeline'. The only other way to get true timeline sorting in these circumstances is to rename each photo in sequence - a major job for large photo collections.

Thanks for the quick reply Luke. That works. I was confused because the date sorting options for photos were Date Added, Release Date and Date Played. These seemed to me to relate to Movies not Photos. The Date Added option sorts them correctly. Perhaps a future update might change the sorting options to more logical choices (and use EXIF names - eg Date/Time Original instead of Date Added) when Photos is selected from the main menu (things like Release Date, Runtime etc have no meaning for photos).

I have found one other glitch too (sorry). My arrangement of photos is Main Menu -> Photos -> Folders (eg Photos_2005-2010, Photos_2011-2019, etc) -> Subfolders (eg 2018-12-25, 2019-04-14, etc) -> individual photos. I sort the Subfolders by Name/descending order (so the most recent are at the top) then sort the individual photos by Date Added/ascending order (to get the sequence of when taken during that day). So far so good. The problem comes when I exit back to Folders then go to Subfolders again, the sorting of the subfolders has been changed from Name/descending to Date Added/ascending. Can this be fixed?

• 2 months later...

I was confused because the date sorting options for photos were Date Added, Release Date and Date Played.

@@Robbo69

It sounds like you're on the Folders tab of the library, which is just a generic folder view and that's why you get this sort of thing. If you want to sort photos you'd do that from the Photos tab, which currently doesn't have any sort orders, but we'll add them.

The problem comes when I exit back to Folders then go to Subfolders again, the sorting of the subfolders has been changed from Name/descending to Date Added/ascending. 

Are you still seeing this with Emby Server 4.3?

Are you still seeing this with Emby Server 4.3?

Seems to work fine now. Thanks very much for that and for adding sort options to the Photos tab

• 4 weeks later...
HediSIX

Hi @@Luke,

How do you change the view in the photo library ? I only have the folder view and I can't find options to change that unlike in the other libraries...

Thanks

Hi @@Luke,

How do you change the view in the photo library ? I only have the folder view and I can't find options to change that unlike in the other libraries...

Thanks

@@HediSIX looks like this hasn't been added. What do you want to change it to?

• 3 years later...

Do we have an update on this? The last response was over 3 years ago. The posts above seem to suggest that the image date is set to the "Date Added" field, but all mine are the date I uploaded them to the server.

image.thumb.png.73d03bb8424441a7a16f99283231f558.png

image.thumb.png.a596f56d9476475e65888cdd271483cc.png

Edited by jr100

10 hours ago, jr100 said:

The posts above seem to suggest that the image date is set to the "Date Added" field, but all mine are the date I uploaded them to the server.

Hi.  Did you follow the directions underneath that field?  What is that set to?