Best 4-5 bay NAS for Emby Server Q4 2018?

Devdroid

Devdroid

I need a consumer grade NAS with 4-5 bays. 

What should I get? I don't do much transcoding these days, but might as well try and find something that can do 4k transcoding for a single stream to be on the safe side. 

Edited by Devdroid

mastrmind11

I need a consumer grade NAS with 4-5 bays. 

What should I get? I don't do much transcoding these days, but might as well try and find something that can do 4k transcoding for a single stream to be on the safe side. 

So roll your own.  You're gonna pay a pretty penny for a ready-made NAS with juice enough for transcoding, especially 4k...

as an aside, the purpose of a NAS isn't to do grunt work.  You would likely be better off getting something w/ the bays you require and a celeron or atom cpu, and have something sitting in front of it to do the heavy lifting (ie, a server).

Edited by mastrmind11
  • Like 1

darkassassin07

Id be interested in some recommendations for a good NAS as well. Considering moving to a pair of 10tb hdds in raid 1 for now, expand to 4 10tb hdds in raid 10 later.

In my case the server itself will still be a separate box doing to grunt work, just looking for a storage solution for all the actual media files.

• Like 1

Devdroid

So roll your own.  You're gonna pay a pretty penny for a ready-made NAS with juice enough for transcoding, especially 4k...

as an aside, the purpose of a NAS isn't to do grunt work.  You would likely be better off getting something w/ the bays you require and a celeron or atom cpu, and have something sitting in front of it to do the heavy lifting (ie, a server).

Yes, that is probably the best option. It's just that I have a small flat and not so much space available. 

I was hoping that with hardware transcoding, something would be available by now (that doesn't cost a fortune, like USD 1000+). 

Maybe next year? I guess it all depends on what atom/celeron chips Intel have to offer , and if the iGPU can handle it. I take it the iGPU can't handle 4k transcoding this CPU generation either? 

Is there any news on what  atom/celeron CPUs to expect for Q1-Q2 2019? Something that might do 4k transcoding maybe? 

Edited by Devdroid

mastrmind11

Yes, that is probably the best option. It's just that I have a small flat and not so much space available. 

I was hoping that with hardware transcoding, something would be available by now (that doesn't cost a fortune, like USD 1000+). 

Maybe next year? I guess it all depends on what atom/celeron chips Intel have to offer , and if the iGPU can handle it. I take it the iGPU can't handle 4k transcoding this CPU generation either? 

Is there any news on what  atom/celeron CPUs to expect for Q1-Q2 2019? Something that might do 4k transcoding maybe? 

@ and/or @@Waldonnis probably have some good insight into this.

• Like 1

Devdroid

Id be interested in some recommendations for a good NAS as well. Considering moving to a pair of 10tb hdds in raid 1 for now, expand to 4 10tb hdds in raid 10 later.

In my case the server itself will still be a separate box doing to grunt work, just looking for a storage solution for all the actual media files.

If you just need a storage solution, why not go with Drobo? It's pretty cheap, especially the USB C-version: https://www.amazon.com/Drobo-5C-5-Drive-Attached-Storage/dp/B01LWNHFBR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537279893&sr=8-3&keywords=Drobo+USB+C. You'll also get 5 bays instead of 4, which is nice to have. 

It gets so much more tricky when you want to run Emby Server on top of the NAS itself. Different brands/different OS and different Emby Support, and some use ARM (also ARMv7 vs ARMv8...), some use X86 (and as I understand it x86 is best for Emby Server.

If you don't need Emby Server/app support, ARM is probably much more power efficient for a NAS. 

Edited by Devdroid

PenkethBoy

considering most current generation i7 and ryzen 7 cpu have a hard time transcoding a 4k movie - i doubt any atom/celeron is going to come close

better off investing in a client that can play them natively 

removing the need to transcode 4k in the first place

and use a NAS as a NAS - not a pc

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

If you're looking to transcode on the fly, forget it. Aside from it being hard work, tone mapping hasn't been worked out and possibly won't be supported by hardware acceleration.

Devdroid

Good answer.

Well...that's hard if you want to stream something while on a remote connection. Be it mobile, hotel WiFi etc.

Locally it's zero problems, of course.

I have quite a large library, so keeping an extra encode just for those occasions would be a massive undertaking.

Edited by Devdroid

Well...that's hard if you want to stream something while on a remote connection. Be it mobile, hotel WiFi etc.

I have quite a large library, so keeping an extra encode just for those occasions would be a pretty massive undertaking.

Well then that's a different ball game :)

PenkethBoy

Its in your control - spend big bucks and get some kit that can do 4k transcodes

spend money on more storage for the time you are away to have a 1080p or whatever movie available

take a copy of the movie on a thumbdrive with you

Or cheap way - dont watch 4k movies when remote!

Guest asrequested

I have quite a large library, so keeping an extra encode just for those occasions would be a massive undertaking.

Just make a 4k library and don't give access to remote users. Have 1080 versions in another library, and give them access to that. Direct streaming a 4k movie uses a lot of bandwidth, anyway. This is how I have mine. Trust me, you don't want to go down the 4k transcode rabbit hole, just yet. There's not a lot of support for that. I've got enough power to do it, but I don't allow it, because the HDR is lost. I'm getting ready to start testing what mpv will do. That may change the game, but it needs a bit of testing. Edited by Doofus

legallink

You have to pick your poison.  I'm with @, the hardware required to transcode 4k and provide it with any particular quality and within acceptable timing seems to me a difficult request to meet unless cost is no issue.  And since cost is an issue, having an extra encode is much cheaper often than the other as storage is generally speaking cheaper than CPU's.  But large library can mean a lot of things.

Why have a separate storage space (ie. NAS), server, and client? 3 different machines all sucking up power?

Wouldn’t it be more efficient to have one PC powerful enough to act as Emby client running Emby Theater, server running Emby Server, and all your HDDs and SSD for OS and programs? All this in one case means 1 power supply, 1 CPU, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk