Emby with STRM Files

lepitismak

lepitismak
I have found that emby has support for STRM files. And this is simply FANTASTIC. I would like to know if there is any way to play the file directly from the source without having to go through the emby server, where in fact it would serve only as a catalog of movies and series and when play was pressed, the file would be transmitted directly from the source Where is he staying?

Currently, the emby drops and sends the file to the client device. Is there any way to "skip" this phase and send it to the client device directly from where it originates?

UPDATE:

I noticed that in Emby Theater for Windows, it does not consume the server bandwidth (it is as if the file went directly from the hosting to the client application), however, in android it passes through the local emby server. 

Is there any way around this?

Edited by lepitismak

In the web app sometimes, if it thinks it can direct play. In Emby Theater for Windows desktop, yes.

For apps that are installed in app stores, no, because we can't verify the legality of the content and that could put us in jeopardy of violating app store policies.

lepitismak
That is, it is possible to do but only not done due to restrictions from the application stores?

As the code is open, could you give some guidance to try an implementation in this direction?

and about apps outside of the application store developed by the community, is there anything?

Edited by lepitismak

lepitismak

I could not just disable this function on the server?

something similar to what happens in Plex Relay, where renaming the file to anything other than "Relay" does not work and so the plex server loses the function and sends the file directly from the source to the client application.

I may even be talking nonsense, but I'm just imagining the possibility.

Leaning, does STRM currently support Chromecast?

There is no way for you to stream direct from app store app to strm url. We have made sure of that for the reasons I mentioned.

You would have to use the web app or emby theater.

lepitismak

and out of the app stores? something developed by the community?

the fact that the code was opened would not allow this to be implemented in the same way as it was in the theater?

maegibbons

In the web app sometimes, if it thinks it can direct play. In Emby Theater for Windows desktop, yes.

For apps that are installed in app stores, no, because we can't verify the legality of the content and that could put us in jeopardy of violating app store policies.

Can local content be exempted from this so that Local content could be "properly" direct played from a NAS source (NOT used as emby server - just file store) to the FATV app for instance?

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

Can local content be exempted from this so that Local content could be "properly" direct played from a NAS source (NOT used as emby server - just file store) to the FATV app for instance?

Krs

Mark

It already is - when we can determine for sure that it is local and that it is direct playable.

lepitismak

but I can not understand the reason for this restriction.

as far as I knew (probably wrongly) whenever the player accused of direct playback meant that the file was played directly from the storage source. That is, it ran straight through without transcoding or emby local server. However, this does not happen in applications that are located through the playstore.

The funniest thing is that if you use the Emby Theater, it works fine. Perfect.

maegibbons

It already is - when we can determine for sure that it is local and that it is direct playable.

Ok - Can you expand on that then please?  Because, I have seen many times that when I stop the server, files direct playing on the FATV app stop playing.

Does your "determination" work correctly on LANS utilising Global IPv6 addresses and Globally availble Class C /24 (i,e NOT Nat private clases such as 10.0.0.0/8 or 192.168.0.0/16) addresses?

I have BOTH of those scenarios.

Most communication between clients and Server and NAS are IPv6 on same /64 and otherwise IPv4 within the 194.70.152.0/24 subnet.  It appears that all streams play through the server

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 1

lepitismak
taking advantage of the topic, I saw that the emby for android tv, has the function of external reproducer and also adds a direct reproduction function for libraries in "network". I made the network creation correctly, the emby recognized but when trying to reproduce it can not get the external player. already tried kodi, vlc and mxplayer. I press play but nothing happens, just a black screen.

Any help on that?

Ok - Can you expand on that then please?  Because, I have seen many times that when I stop the server, files direct playing on the FATV app stop playing.

Does your "determination" work correctly on LANS utilising Global IPv6 addresses and Globally availble Class C /24 (i,e NOT Nat private clases such as 10.0.0.0/8 or 192.168.0.0/16) addresses?

I have BOTH of those scenarios.

Most communication between clients and Server and NAS are IPv6 on same /64 and otherwise IPv4 within the 194.70.152.0/24 subnet.  It appears that all streams play through the server

Krs

Mark

We simply mean there is no transcoding. 

taking advantage of the topic, I saw that the emby for android tv, has the function of external reproducer and also adds a direct reproduction function for libraries in "network". I made the network creation correctly, the emby recognized but when trying to reproduce it can not get the external player. already tried kodi, vlc and mxplayer. I press play but nothing happens, just a black screen.

Any help on that?

How to report a problem. Thanks.

maegibbons

We simply mean there is no transcoding. 

Sorry @@Luke but that is not what @@ebr said.  I asked a very specific question and he responded:

"It already is - when we can determine for sure that it is local and that it is direct playable."

Krs

Mark

• 11 months later...
roblav96

So I'm looking to achieve the complete opposite lol

Is it possible to force the web client to stream directly through the server as it does for all the native applications?

So I'm looking to achieve the complete opposite lol

Is it possible to force the web client to stream directly through the server as it does for all the native applications?

There's no way to force that, but it would be a reasonable option to add.

• 1 month later...

Were you envisioning this as a client-side setting, or server-side so that it can be forced by the admin?