Is Metadata from guide used?

jfgilliam

jfgilliam

I'm finding there's a lot of things from live TV that will never be in theTVDB or IMDB databases. Or, they are behind or not accurate. When a recording is saved in the library, does it initially use the information from the guide to start the metadata? Seems like the Title, the poster image, rating, genre, tagged with channel recorded from, etc could be used. And, I would see that this data would not get trumped by the other metadata refreshes. The guide data should be gospel. Then only if it's wrong, we can manually correct it.

Hi, yes this is exactly what happens.

And, I would see that this data would not get trumped by the other metadata refreshes. 

That is entirely up to you based on how you've configured the particular Emby library that the recordings are being saved in.

jfgilliam

Hi, yes this is exactly what happens.

That is entirely up to you based on how you've configured the particular Emby library that the recordings are being saved in.

Well, I have my library setup to "Never" refresh from the internet. But, will it try to retrieve extra information from the internet on initial load and not overwrite what came from the guide?

I'm finding there's a lot of things from live TV that will never be in theTVDB or IMDB databases. Or, they are behind or not accurate. When a recording is saved in the library, does it initially use the information from the guide to start the metadata? Seems like the Title, the poster image, rating, genre, tagged with channel recorded from, etc could be used. And, I would see that this data would not get trumped by the other metadata refreshes. The guide data should be gospel. Then only if it's wrong, we can manually correct it.

I find the EPGs to be crap for a lot of shows.

You'll often see S01E23 listed for a show but the series never had an episode 23.  You see miss-matches in Episodes and even Seasons.

Emby DVR will record a show because the EPG says "S05E23 - Title" but on your disc you have S05E19 - Title".

Our libraries are setup to use things like IMDB, theTVdb, ect and these often differ from your EPG source and it's a problem.

I previously fixed this for my system with a DB trigger and some code which I posted here in the forums.  It basically would check all EPG items being written to the db and if you had that series in your library you already had the IMDB info as well so it would rename/renumber the season/episodes of the EPG entries to match the known episode orders.  Many shows like Moonshiners and Naked and Afraid will often have EPG entries with NO season/episode entries and these cause problems as well.  My fix took care of that as well as long as the title matched.

I have currently removed this functionality from my system while I'm testing the new server beta but look forward to re-implementing this soon as it fixed a lot of these nasty problems.

jfgilliam

You'll often see S01E23 listed for a show but the series never had an episode 23.  You see miss-matches in Episodes and even Seasons.

Emby DVR will record a show because the EPG says "S05E23 - Title" but on your disc you have S05E19 - Title".

That's sound cool. My request to use the EPG data first, is because there's no option on the "Identify" screen to use it as an option. I would prefer the EPG data get loaded first, then I can fix it. 

Having said that, it would be nice to have an automated way to fix it like you've done, but for dummies.

I'll make this available for you to install on the new server once it's out of beta and I've had a chance to set it back up and test again.

What can be done is to have Emby store the meta-info in the file as it records it. This would use what ever is in the EPG at the time of the recordings (fixed by my script or unfixed).  Then if it's unfixed or not a known episode you would have what is in the EPG.

Emby with it's normal settings you can adjust could be set to pull info from the file and use that first before retrieving info from the Internet.

So no reason why you can't have your cake and eat it 2. :)

• Like 1

I'll make this available for you to install on the new server once it's out of beta and I've had a chance to set it back up and test again.

What can be done is to have Emby store the meta-info in the file as it records it. This would use what ever is in the EPG at the time of the recordings (fixed by my script or unfixed).  Then if it's unfixed or not a known episode you would have what is in the EPG.

Emby with it's normal settings you can adjust could be set to pull info from the file and use that first before retrieving info from the Internet.

So no reason why you can't have your cake and eat it 2. :)

ME TOO!

That's what we are already doing by having the recording process create an nfo file. It's not embedded metadata but the end result is the same.