Roku stuck on retrieving...again (updated)

Movies32

Movies32

I just added the link to the test video in post #22 if that's what you're looking for.  Unless you would like a copy of the original .MKV file in a PM or a test file?

I attempted to play another episode tonight, but it didn't work.  I hit play on the episode and it took a few seconds to get through "retrieving" and actually played a second or two of video before getting stuck at "Loading" with the bar in the middle of the screen.  The bar went nowhere.  This time I used the Emby Beta app on the Roku.  I don't know if this information will help, but I will send it to you anyway.  Logs attached.

"NCIS: Los Angeles S9:E10 Forasteira"

Log sent from Roku at 10:14PM (Eastern Time) on 10/1/2018 with user Josh.

I think I have this figured out now. I have submitted a commit for this, sort of in the same one I already have pending for the very next beta. Not supposed to technically do this, but since the two are sort of related I did it. This last commit on my pull request should contain the fix that lets your Roku now play the file. At least that is entirely my expectation. This behavior of the server I wasnt aware. Also submitted the commit to fix the audio and not have that comma at the front. That causes audio to transcode more often than it should.

My problem before was, in the profile, how do you tell the server that you can support h264, and at the same time tell the transcoding profile you support it too, and transcode to h264->h264 and not copy the stream?

TransVideo = "h264" vs TransVideo = ",h264"

The first transcodes everything, but h264. Using Transvideo = "" results in an 500 error on the server. So it needs a codec, but how not to copy h264 and do this without changing bitrates and complex solutions, and why is this so hard to do? and @@Happy2Play and his comment above finally dawned on me. I wondered why is that comma there, and OMG!! It is transcoding aac to aac, even though its in the list, and because its the 2nd one, and doing it full.. omg.. this will fix h264.. So the 2nd way allows me to do this.

This may be an unintended side effect. If so please @@Luke Do not fix this. If this is intended behavior, damn I wish I knew about it sooner.

Edited by speechles

My problem before was, in the profile, how do you tell the server that you can support h264, and at the same time tell the transcoding profile you support it too, and transcode to h264->h264 and not copy the stream?

TransVideo = "h264" vs TransVideo = ",h264"

I wouldn't do that as it is taking advantage of an unexpected behavior that could change.

We actually already have a mechanism for disallowing stream copy.  It is AllowVideoStreamCopy=false.  Use that instead.

I wouldn't do that as it is taking advantage of an unexpected behavior that could change.

We actually already have a mechanism for disallowing stream copy.  It is AllowVideoStreamCopy=false.  Use that instead.

Heard loud and clear. Just submitted all requested changes. Good morning. :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Movies32

Here we go again @@speechles...Emby has been working fine since the last time I was on here, but it's stuck on "Retrieving" again.  Part of the episode did start to play, but it kept coming up with the loading screen every couple minutes.  I am now using the Emby Beta app on my Roku 3.  Logs attached.  Please let me know if you need more info.  Thanks.

"NCIS: Los Angeles S10:E9 A Diamond in the Rough"

Log sent from Roku at 8:25PM (Eastern Time) on 1/14/2019 with user Josh.

ffmpeg-remux-3b44149d-6ac0-4d3e-9cab-51c4fb89235c.txt

embyserver.txt

That is so odd. It is only transcoding the audio from eac3 -> aac. The video source is copied. This should play without issue.

Is the device on firmware verison 9.0? If you go to: System>>Advanced system settings>>Advanced display settings>>Auto-adjust display refresh rate is this disabled or enabled?

majorsl

FWIW with my experiences, when I see what is described as the video starting to play, or even plays for 10-15 minutes and repeatedly pause-retrieving-pause-retrieving-pause-retrieving it is always been a slightly corrupted video file.  May times if I open it with something like VLC and play it near that exact spot I can see the video & sound break up for a millisecond and then it continues on.

The same video would play fine with Emby on my LG TV or a MiBox.  I chalked it up to the Roku being less tolerant of a file with a bit of corruption in it.

Usually, if I got another copy or re-ripped it from a DVD it would work just fine.

Just my experience if helpful.

When I have had the play/pause...repeat issue I ended up restarting the Emby server (after trying clients, stop and start media from the start and seek to the point, etc). I believe something goes a bit off with the transcode/stream from the server and when I restart it clears the temp folder and starts again, without fault this time. This has corrected it for me 100% of the time.

It hasn’t happened in a good month or so though now for me.

Movies32

That is so odd. It is only transcoding the audio from eac3 -> aac. The video source is copied. This should play without issue.

Is the device on firmware verison 9.0? If you go to: System>>Advanced system settings>>Advanced display settings>>Auto-adjust display refresh rate is this disabled or enabled?

When I go to the "About" section of my Roku it says the Software version is 9.0.0 and build 4084-04.  When I go to "Advanced System Settings" in the Roku settings I do not see "Advanced display settings".  Under "Advanced system settings" I only see:  "Factory reset", "Network connection reset", "Device connect", and "Control by mobile apps".

Movies32

When I have had the play/pause...repeat issue I ended up restarting the Emby server (after trying clients, stop and start media from the start and seek to the point, etc). I believe something goes a bit off with the transcode/stream from the server and when I restart it clears the temp folder and starts again, without fault this time. This has corrected it for me 100% of the time.

It hasn’t happened in a good month or so though now for me.

Most of the time when this occurs I can't restart the Emby server.  In fact, I can't even restart or shutdown my computer when this happens and I'm forced to hold the power button down every time.  I'm not quite sure what that's all about.

Movies32

@@Movies32 can you provide a sample video for testing?

@@Luke Here are two test files.  One is Vikings and the other is NCIS.  No matter which video I tried to play on Emby they both did the same thing.

Vikings:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wXegMF2lRPq5rVZWryvZyV7BN-surS-V

NCIS:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KrmOrA9DCH_U_73o4G28OlU1baaVBaG2

Edited by Movies32

I can take a look this morning, sure. I also have a previous test file (dated 09-17-2018) from movies32. As users pass me samples I attach their Emby forum usernames so I can keep track. I can see what is up shortly.

Movies32

I can take a look this morning, sure. I also have a previous test file (dated 09-17-2018) from movies32. As users pass me samples I attach their Emby forum usernames so I can keep track. I can see what is up shortly.

Any updates on this?

Any updates on this?

Ah snap.. I missed this in everything else I was doing. I apologize.

When I test these they play perfectly fine on my Roku Ultra. These do have Vorbis audio both of them in 5.1 surround so maybe that has something to do with it. I am not sure why this is happening for you your samples play perfectly fine for me. What model number of Roku is this you are using? Sorry if you mentioned already it is late and I am tired.

Edit: Does using the "Playback Correction" option in app help? Keep pressing it until it appears to solve the issue. This might be an issue with the Roku firmware too.

If this is a RokuTV some RokuTV models cannot support 60fps properly. There is an option in settings to let those with RokuTV change this to fix issues.

Edited by speechles

Movies32

Ah snap.. I missed this in everything else I was doing. I apologize.

When I test these they play perfectly fine on my Roku Ultra. These do have Vorbis audio both of them in 5.1 surround so maybe that has something to do with it. I am not sure why this is happening for you your samples play perfectly fine for me. What model number of Roku is this you are using? Sorry if you mentioned already it is late and I am tired.

Edit: Does using the "Playback Correction" option in app help? Keep pressing it until it appears to solve the issue. This might be an issue with the Roku firmware too.

If this is a RokuTV some RokuTV models cannot support 60fps properly. There is an option in settings to let those with RokuTV change this to fix issues.

I do not see the "Playback Correction" option in the Emby settings.

I have the Model: 4200X - Roku 3 and Software version: 9.0.0 build 4114-04

Using the Emby Beta app which says Version 3.0 build 136

Update:  It now seems to be working.  Playback Options show the following:

Quality: (Auto - 80MB/s)

Playback Correction (Transcode)

I will update if there are any more problems.  Thank you.

JeremyG

I came on here tonight to look for this issue because it just started happening to me a few days ago.    Using a "Roku Streaming Stick"

I'm on the 4.0.1.0 release as of tonight and still have the issue.  I'm not certain if this started happening after the upgrade to 4.x, but most likely  (though i know everythign was fine on the 3.x beta channel over the holiday season)

My symptoms are "sometimes" it plays immediately....but almost always when I start an episode or try to fast-forward/rewind, it take like 5-10 seconds to start playing again after seeing "Loading".   This has always been nearly instinaneous in the past.

In my case it's happening with smaller files that are only 550 MB.  

File Properties says

Video:  HEVC(H265 Main 10 @L4.0)

Audio:   AAC 5.1   48 kHz

Edited by JeremyG

JeremyG

Interestingly enough....while still not perfect, performance is significantly better when NOT running as a service.  (even without changing Hardware encoding settings)

• 3 weeks later...
Movies32

Here we go yet again @speechles...Emby has been giving me some problems since the last time I was on here, and has been working on and off.  The episode has been stuck on "Retrieving" for the past 5 minutes and will not play.  I am using the Emby Beta app on my Roku 3.  Logs attached.  Please let me know if you need more info.  Thanks.

As a side note:  Is it just time to upgrade my Roku to a newer version?  Have we hit a dead end looking for a solution?

"Criminal Minds S14:E10 Flesh and Blood"

Log sent from Roku at 5:13PM (Eastern Time) on 2/12/2019 with user Josh.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-bdd94809-c472-4c67-8191-3f853baa996e_1.txt

hardware_detection-63685587838.txt

Movies32

I also remember in the Blue Neon Night Emby app there was an option to (I think) convert audio to MP3.  I can't remember if that helped to correct the problems I was having with playback, but I do remember that it cleared up audio quality immensely as the audio quality when it plays sounds somewhat muddled like it's underwater or something.  I don't know if that makes any sense or if you have any idea what I am talking about, but I thought I'd put that out there.