View channel guide while watching live tv

ggibson793

ggibson793

This is more of a "wouldnt it be cool if it did this...."

It would be nice to keep the live tv stream active in a small picture in the corner of the screen and view the channel guide in full screen. For instance, I am watching a live show and want to look at what comes on next or on another channel without closing the show I am currently watching.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

• Like 20

ggibson793

Plex does this..

When it works.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

But Plex doesn't cast live tv to Chromecast. +1 for Emby.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

samuelqwe

Would like to see this as well, because being able to have the show keep playing in the corner while I look at guide is something that I absolutely love from cable boxes.

• Like 1

jachin99

I voted for it.  This is one of a few features that would contribute greatly to the UX while using a remote control.  I love using emby on a touchscreen but it still needs things like this for couch viewing.  Just my 02 cents though, and I know it takes work.  

I voted for it.  This is one of a few features that would contribute greatly to the UX while using a remote control.  I love using emby on a touchscreen but it still needs things like this for couch viewing.  Just my 02 cents though, and I know it takes work.  

We are working on it in other places but just want to point out again that this does already exist in our most popular dedicated "from the couch" app (Android/Fire TV).

• Like 2

PrincessClevage

We are working on it in other places but just want to point out again that this does already exist in our most popular dedicated "from the couch" app (Android/Fire TV).

Perhaps I have incorrectly assumed that ET would be most used from the couch but alas does not have this functionality
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
ggibson793

Any progress on this? I get that it works in Android TV and Fire TV, but I don't have either of those devices, and am sure that lots of users are in the same boat. My 2 most used devices are the Android tablet casting to Chromecast and Emby Theater for XBox One. If you could get PIP to work those apps, it will really put Emby over the top of anything else comparable..

Any ball park for "near future'?

A few bucks and a trip to BestBuy will get it for you today.

Sorry couldn't resist. :)

Honestly you don't know what you're missing not using a Shield TV.  It's just so much smoother and faster then any Roku it's amazing how much better the experience feels.  Plus the Emby client on the Shield TV is world class!  Yea it costs more, but it's a case of you get what you pay for. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
rawdrewage

I have too much invested in roku and it is one of the top platforms. I did lots of research before buying this gear. It just sounds like you are throwing horsepower at the problem which is not a good solution in my mind. It doesn't solve problems but rather let's you get away with things done in not so great a way.

Also, lots of other other people including directvnow have apps that work great. So, being a programmer myself, this would point to problems in the software. I am not trying to be a jerk or rude, just pointing out the logical. I picked the directvnow app as an example  because it is the most intensive I could think of on my stuff and it works great. Smooth, fast....And my server is lightning fast Freebsd.

Maybe Emby is due for a total rewrite of certain apps...it happens. I know I have been there.

I have too much invested in roku and it is one of the top platforms. I did lots of research before buying this gear. It just sounds like you are throwing horsepower at the problem which is not a good solution in my mind. It doesn't solve problems but rather let's you get away with things done in not so great a way.

Also, lots of other other people including directvnow have apps that work great. So, being a programmer myself, this would point to problems in the software. I am not trying to be a jerk or rude, just pointing out the logical. I picked the directvnow app as an example  because it is the most intensive I could think of on my stuff and it works great. Smooth, fast....And my server is lightning fast Freebsd.

Maybe Emby is due for a total rewrite of certain apps...it happens. I know I have been there.

Hi.  This request is for a feature that doesn't exist yet in all of our apps but is being worked on.

I don't understand why you think this is "throwing horsepower at a problem"?  It is simply a feature that hasn't made it into all apps yet.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
whyteknt

+ one vote for Guide Overlay (and 'Recordings' overlay') so channel can be watched while scrolling guide or Recordings.