Rig spec recomendations

marauder

marauder

So I've been forced to rebuild my setup, with all different hardware. I'm looking for recommendations for hardware for my new setup. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible as this wasn't a planned expense. The system will most likely be using UnRaid6, running, Deluge, Emby, Sonarr/Flexget, with around 15-20TB of data and around 6 users. Most not super active. What hardware would be good to handle something like this. I've got a supermicro 825 case lying around, which holds 8 drives. 

I have an Supermicro X7DAE with Xeon 5355 and 32GB of PB2 5300F ram. I've got 8 x 3tb and 1 200gb SSD, raid card is an old adaptec asr-5805 which I could use. This should be powerful enough but my concerns are mainly Noise and Power consumption. 

Looking for some recommended specs to build out something different and keep my power utilization down, same with noise. 

Thanks.

mastrmind11

of your 6 users, how many will require transcoding?  if none, you can put emby on a rPi (not that i would recommend it, just for example).  Transcoding question then turns into how many simultaneous sessions will you need?  If all 6, you're gonna need to stick to the beefier hardware, which as you know can be noisy, etc.  Really comes down to what you foresee in usage.  

marauder

I'm not sure how many need transcoding. Most are using different devices, Samsung TV, Amazon fire, Mac ios, apple ios, xbox. I doubt i'd have more than 2-3 users on at once. I don't have access to my old system to check logs to see about transcoding. I was thinking of doing a xeon 2670 or something else in the 2011 socket as the prices aren't bad, and they're not super old. That would allow me to run DDR3.