Linux wireless card ideas

marauder

marauder

So my current setup needs to be redone and moved. Unfortunately, it means a complete new buildout. Part of this requires my emby server to run off WiFi. I’m looking for a solid WiFi card for a Linux computer. I’m wondering if anyone uses wireless for their setup or has any recommendations. Not looking to break the bank as I’ve also got to buy new hard drives and such to get my system back up and running.

My in-house WiFi isn’t bad with AC1600. I’ve tested using my desktop on a cheap $30 wireless ac usb device and haven’t had issues yet. Just looking for something more robust to handle the throughputs, half open connections, etc.

this is my router. Netgear C6250-100NAS AC1600 (16x4) WiFi Cable Modem Router Combo (C6250) DOCSIS 3.0 Certified for Xfinity Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox, more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111MRLLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_nUWLBb1ZMGTZB

marauder

I think I might do something like this, and do a bonded nic, or use dual nics from different services. This seems the simplest as I don't have to find linux drivers for a specific device and opens up other os options like Unraid.

BAlGaInTl

If you have coax run in your house, the Actiontec MoCA adapters are almost as good as running cat6.  https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

I have these and they work great.

I would also consider using a router as a client.  Then you can use the hardware nic which typically have better support, and additionally. you can place the router for better reception.

marauder

I ended up going with a WD my net AC bridge. They’re really cheap on eBay for $35 new. Supports AC1200 with 4 gig ports so I’m just going to do bonded nics to max it out.