Audio 'Out of Sync' - MKV files

thor2105
Go to solution Solved by thor2105,

I'm hoping someone may have some ideas on how to resolve this issue.

I'm running the current version of emby on windows 10 and the current version of the emby app on my Sony TV.  Movies are being streamed via ethernet between my computer and the TV.  All my movies are MKV files, ripped with MakeMKV with only the DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 sound track, (no subtitles).

About 85% of the time if I start a movie, the audio is out of sync (the video is ahead of the audio).  If I stop the video and restart it, the audio returns to being in sync and remains in sync for the entire movie.  About 15% of the time, movies start in sync and remain in sync.  If I am watching a number of episodes in a series, the first one will more than likely have the sync issue, but any subsequent episodes that follow on and start automatically after the first will always be in sync from the start.  Apart from the sync issue, the movies run smoothly with no problems.

Over the last 4 or 5 weeks, I have tried reinstalling emby and even rebuilding my windows 10 partition from scratch with the latest updates and only emby installed.  I've tries re-ripping a number of movies (using the latest beta version of MakeMKV) all with no luck.  The problem has remained constant, as above.

Even more puzzling is that the same movies are not always in the group that have the sync problem; similarly, the same movies are not always in the group that have no problems.  While 85% of the time the problem occurs, it's not always the same movies.  I've noticed this issue with movies direct playing, direct streaming, and transcoding.  The only thing that is consistent, is that when the problem occurs, I can fix it by stopping the move and restarting it.

If I play a movie of my PC with any player, (I've tried a few) I have no sync issues at any time.

Has anyone else come across this problem or have any suggestions on what may be causing it.  I'm at a point of not knowing if the issue is with my rips, my computer or emby, (either the windows program or the Sony app)?

Which app on your Sony TV?

The current version of emby downloaded from the Google Play Store.  If I play the movies through the emby app on my pc using emby, they always play fine.  

I also came across 4 movies last night that run very slow with the audio significantly out of sync (the sound is ahead of the movie), almost like video is playing in slow motion and the sound normal speed.  Stopping and starting did not fix these as it usually does.  When the sync problem occurs, the movie always take a few extra seconds to start after you hit 'Play'.  You can usually tell if it's going to be out of sync by how long the movie takes to start when you hit play. 

Do you have any other equipment in the chain?  receiver, soundbar, etc?

Yes the audio runs into a Denon surround amp.  I've checked all the cables and replaced them to see if it was an issue.  I've also tried with the sound system out of the loop, running with just the TV (Sony A8F).  Apart from the 4 movies last night, when the sync issue occurs, stopping and starting the movie always corrects it.

Happy2Play

Sounds like a remux/transcode audio issue.  Are these logs generated for the movies that this happens to?  Can you post the ffmpeg logs.

mastrmind11

Yes the audio runs into a Denon surround amp.  I've checked all the cables and replaced them to see if it was an issue.  I've also tried with the sound system out of the loop, running with just the TV (Sony A8F).  Apart from the 4 movies last night, when the sync issue occurs, stopping and starting the movie always corrects it.

You mention that you can play something w/o issue on your windows box that is the server, so it could also be network related.  Is the tv wired or wireless?  

You mention that you can play something w/o issue on your windows box that is the server, so it could also be network related.  Is the tv wired or wireless?  

The TV is wired, (I've checked the cable).  I've also tried wi-fi as the TV is only a couple of meters from the router.  Wi-Fi has the same problem as wired.  It seems strange that they start out of sync but if you stop and restart them, the sync issue disappears. 

I've also noticed that if I am watching a number of episodes in a series, the first one will have the sync issue, (you stop and restart it and it's then fine).  Any subsequent episodes that follow on and start automatically will always be in sync from the start, no issues.  If you manually start one of these episodes, there will be a sync issue.

Edited by thor2105

• 1 year later...
  • Solution

I thought I would provide an update on this issue, mainly for the dev team.

UPDATE:

Windows 10 Emby v 4.2.1.0

Sony A8F OLED TV emby android TV 1.7.50g

Several weeks ago I updated to the latest version of Android 8, 'Oreo' (finally released in Australia).  The original issue I reported seems to have been resolved by the Oreo update.  All movies, (so far), start in sync and stay in sync, including Blu-ray 4K.  (All movies I have played so far have been 'Direct Play')

This issue appears to have been related to the Sony A87 / Android 7 system, and has been corrected in Android 8 'Oreo'.  

• Like 1