Download button doesn't appear to do anything

AdrianW

AdrianW

I've started with a clean slate and nothing downloaded to my phone. 

I went to a series, clicked the download icon and selected "Download unwatched videos only", "Automatically download new content" and entered 3 against "Item limit" then clicked the wide green Download button. 

When clicking that button there's no UI feedback at all - so I clicked it again, still no feedback. Checking on the server and that series now appears twice on the Download & Sync page. I tried again, clicking the button six times for another series - and that series now appears six times on the Download & Sync page.

So, two issues - if a series is already in the download list then don't add it again, and some visual feedback when clicking the download button (I was expecting it to navigate away from the download settings page).

Then - when I manually return to the series page the "download" icon has changed to "downloading" as expected - but looking at the server the episodes are just queued. The download doesn't want to start. What actually initiates episodes to download?

AdrianW

Seems to work fine in my testing. You get the toast feedback that says downloading...

By toast do you mean the android drop-down notification, or is it an emby slide-up thing? I didn't get either.

And what do I need to do to get the downloads to actually download? They all still say "queued". I didn't have this issue with the previous version. Perhaps the clean install instructions broke it.

AdrianW

I would just be patient and allow the server conversions if needed as well as the downloading to happen. Thanks.

Previously downloads would start almost straight away. There should be no conversions necessary, they never happened before, and my phone can play everything I've thrown at it so far (I'm on Oreo 8.1 with a Snapdragon 625).

By toast do you mean the android drop-down notification, or is it an emby slide-up thing? I didn't get either.

And what do I need to do to get the downloads to actually download? They all still say "queued". I didn't have this issue with the previous version. Perhaps the clean install instructions broke it.

After the clean install you will need to cancel all sync jobs and recreate them. The reinstalled client willl appear under the same name, but may be treated by the server as a different device.

What I'm wondering a bit is why it says "queued". It should say "Ready to transfer". What happens when you click the "Convert Media" button or run the scheduled task "Convert Media"?

AdrianW

What happens when you click the "Convert Media" button or run the scheduled task "Convert Media"?

Both ran for less than a second.

So, the Convert Media task is required even though the media doesn't need converting?

(I did cancel all the sync jobs).

Edited by AdrianW

Both ran for less than a second.

So, the Convert Media task is required even though the media doesn't need converting?

That task processes "queued" items and checks whether they need to be transcoded or not. If no transcoding is required, it will just set the status to "ReadyForTransfer".

Probably this happened during that 1s run.

What really shouldn't be required is that you execute that task manually!

Unfortunately we had that bug for a while butt with latest versions, all those things should happen automatically again.

Let us know what happens when you're creating new sync jobs..!

AdrianW

I tried clearing everything again - and all the thumbnails for the episodes are still showing in the app.

I added a single episode to the sync queue - but it's just showing up as "queued". If I manually trigger the Convert media task it ends in zero seconds with (Failed).

There may be something weird going on with the server - here's a log.

Interesting line down near the bottom:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: The UTC time represented when the offset is applied must be between year 0 and 10,000.

Edited by AdrianW

Don't know if it'll help you guys any, but on my tablet running latest version, told it to sync 3 jobs. Waited, after a full day of being connected to internet, they still had not attempted to sync.

Don't know if it'll help you guys any, but on my tablet running latest version, told it to sync 3 jobs. Waited, after a full day of being connected to internet, they still had not attempted to sync.

hi there @@Kurato, we're happy to help. please see how to report a problem. thanks !

hi there @@Kurato, we're happy to help. please see how to report a problem. thanks !

It's simply the same issue as Adrian is having, however, it was stated

I would just be patient and allow the server conversions if needed as well as the downloading to happen. Thanks.

I'm simply giving feedback that I am having the issue as well, and that I've waiTed plenty of time for the downloads to initialize, if you'd like a log file, I'd be more than happy to recreate the issue and proxide one.

It's simply the same issue as Adrian is having, however, it was stated

I'm simply giving feedback that I am having the issue as well, and that I've waiTed plenty of time for the downloads to initialize, if you'd like a log file, I'd be more than happy to recreate the issue and proxide one.

Yes please, and thank you.

Attached is an image showing the status of the download, it says transfering but there is no progress notification.

I followed the guidelines to find the log files, and no log files are showing in file explorer, also checked to make sure it's not a hidden file.

I did however notice it has been downloading files, with no popup notification, found multiple sync files (discussed previously in other thread.)

On a RCA Viking Pro 10" tablet. Android version 6.0.

And emby at 3.0.15

post-305382-0-68752200-1536915172_thumb.png

post-305382-0-52794100-1536915185_thumb.png

Edited by Kurato

AdrianW

So, after the recent server updates I tried removing my sync jobs and adding one new one.

This time I got the "downloading" toast and was returned to the episode screen, so that's a lot better than previously where nothing would happen at all.

But, the job just shows with a "transferring" status but nothing actually transfers.

AdrianW

No, that's not it. There are zero files on my phone, if it was actually transferring there'd be at least a partial file.

Attached is an image showing the status of the download, it says transfering but there is no progress notification.

I followed the guidelines to find the log files, and no log files are showing in file explorer, also checked to make sure it's not a hidden file.

I did however notice it has been downloading files, with no popup notification, found multiple sync files (discussed previously in other thread.)

On a RCA Viking Pro 10" tablet. Android version 6.0.

And emby at 3.0.15

Please supply the info previously requested. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
jason.atwood

I'm seeing a similar issue: Download button does nothing. However I'm not seeing any download appear in my downloads list (in progress or otherwise). Also not seeing anything on Emby Server dashboard.

I'm seeing a similar issue: Download button does nothing. However I'm not seeing any download appear in my downloads list (in progress or otherwise). Also not seeing anything on Emby Server dashboard.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !