DS916+: H/W transcoding (?) slow (16fps FHD)

nabla
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi all

I am very new to Emby so please consider a stupid mistake from my side. I am running Emby on a DS916+ installed from the package centre. While transcoding of a Full HD video without hardware acceleration maxes out the CPU but gives my about 24fps, using VAAPI hardware acceleration reduces the CPU usage but decreases fps between 14 und 16. (logs attached)

Judging from the specs and this forum, the DS916+ should be able to transcode Full HD videos, right? What is my mistake.

Cheers

server.log

ffmpeg-transcode.log

• Solution

Hi, try turning off the subtitles and see if it performs better. The pgs subtitles have to be burned in with transcoding and this can be a very costly process. You'll get a much better experience with external .srt subtitles. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi, try turning off the subtitles and see if it performs better. The pgs subtitles have to be burned in with transcoding and this can be a very costly process. You'll get a much better experience with external .srt subtitles. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Hi Luke, thanks a lot for you quick reply. Yes, without the subtitles, it is indeed much faster. I hope, a future ffmpeg version will be more efficient with PGS subtitles (if that's possible) because I only have these.

Cheers