Go to solution Solved by filecore,

filecore

Emby server 3.5.2.0

Server backup plugin 1.2.3.0

Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

Client: Firefox Quantum 62.0 (64-bit)

The story so far:

1. Fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04
  2. Download and install Emby server from https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.5.2.0/emby-server-deb_3.5.2.0_amd64.deb
  3. Enter my Premier subscriber key
  4. Install the backup plugin
  5. Restore my backups from backups.tar.gz from old system, into /home/emby/emby-backups
  6. Launch Emby, launch backup plugin. No luck. Just in case, make sure permissions are in place, even though no specific errors in logs:
    1. sudo chmod -R 755 /home/emby/
    2. sudo chown -R emby:emby /home/emby/
  7. Launch Emby, launch backup plugin
  8. Browse to any backup

Result: backup screen hangs with loading indicator

Log files: logs indicate that plugin is reaching endpoint ok, and browsing the JSON at http://localhost:8096/emby/MBBackup/Backups correctly displays restorable content of backup files (time, date, profile, users, etc). It seems like just the UI is hanging for some reason? Most recent log attached.

Additional information: previous server was Emby 3.2.x on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, same backup plugin version, and these same backups restored successfully there. Unfortunately the old server was destroyed and no longer exists, only the archived backups.

embyserver.txt

Edited by filecore

• Solution
filecore

Update: I thought more about the nature of the problem. As it was a clean install, Firefox was my only web browser - but on a hunch I tried the Android app which I also have installed. Surprise, browsing via the app allowed me to select and view the backup, and I was able to restore from there, and then log in as my usual account in Firefox. Problem solved! But there is certainly some sort of bug related to UI on Firefox.

Sorry for the slow response. As it turns out I had other problems with the install, so instead of spending loads of time troubleshooting, I simply reinstalled (same installer version, so all components should have been identical) - and magically, no issues with Firefox restoring backups this time round! I have no idea why it went wrong but same installer, same hardware, same versions of all software as far as I'm aware, and same backup files. Very odd, but it seems intermittent and I'm not going to put any time into this anymore. Hopefully this helps somebody else in the future in case the same behaviour is observed.

• 2 months later...
lateparty

I have this issue when restoring in Chrome. Jumped on my iPhone (Safari) and navigated to my reverse proxy URL for emby and had no issues restoring backup.

lateparty

It works right now in Chrome through reverse proxy (and direct). I’ll be rebuilding again on Wednesday/Thursday (970 Evo arrives) and I’ll test it out for you and reply back here.

ddurdle

Same issue as here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/63577-cannot-restore-db-backup-from-an-emby-353-to-a-new-install/

I found the key was the "walk away and come back shortly and try again, and it'll likely work".  I'm still trying to track down why that is.

I've tried it with and without reverse proxy with nginx, using IP and using hostname, using firefox and using chrome.  The key seems to be always the "if it doesn't work, simply wait a bit (10+ mins) then come back and try again.  And magically, the UI will work.

I've had this before, in fact I think I posted about it... I'll have to look. 

I simply could not get a backup to restore in chrome. Direct, reverse proxy, none worked. Can't remember if I used edge, IE or what, but it worked in another browser. 

Found my post about this exact same thing (except Chrome) https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62043-bug-report-chrome-issues/

ddurdle

Last tested on Version 3.6.0.73 beta from my last reported occurrence.

I still owe you a test where I build a new server with the latest and try a backup generated from a 3.6 install.  I'm expecting to have this tested today as I build a new installs for 2 users I'm helping.

Here is what I usually do:

After installing the deb, I then log into the web ui, complete the initial setup wizard.  I then add the premier key, then go to plugins, search for backup and restore and install.  Then I force a restart using the web ui.  Then after restart, I go to plugins, open the plugins, open backup and restore.  Set the backup location to the location on disk, it lists the backup(s) I have saved to the disk (with permissions emby:emby), then I click on the listed backup, and the backup information screen loads but has that hanging effect.  If I switch browsers, do a restart, etc, doesn't help -- still hangs.  But if I give myself a "time out break" and go get a coffee, etc and revisit it some time later, the backup information will load.