Intel Core i5-6300U @ 2.40GHz vs Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500S as server?

josemiel25

josemiel25

Hey guys,

I have a Laptop that I'm testing as the server but seems to sometimes hang when switching channels and I have to retry to get the picture playing. Currently using a Laptop with 16GB of RAM, SSD HDD and this processor Intel Core i5-6300U @ 2.40GHz

I also have a Desktop with 8GB of RAM, SSD HDD and this processor I can use as the server Intel® Core i5-2500S

Would the Desktop run Emby server better, right now I'm just testing with 1 device using it. And Android TV Box (Nvidia Shield). The source is IPTV and a lot of the live TV channels are 1080p resolution.

Note: I'm running Emby server with the default settings.

I do believe the Laptop does have a better GPU but I don't even know if Windows would use this integrated video for transcoding. I do believe the CPU is faster on the desktop even though is older?

sfatula

See:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6300U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500/m27864vsm517

This indicates the 2500 is indeed faster and better for the most part. No idea about the Windows part. 

I can say I am using an Intel NUC with a I3-6100U but under Linux for one of my servers (live TV and recording), and, no problems at all with speed. With the GPU, it only uses a fraction (<25%) of one core for transcoding. The processors compare fairly evenly. 

josemiel25

In theory it should be faster.

I installed it on the i5-2500S. I guess it only has a standard HDD not SDD. And it turned out that one of the 4GB of RAM was faulty so I just used one 4GB and a 2GB. It's a small form factor PC so it only has 2 slots. I have a lot of 2GB sticks too, but not 4GB.

Anyways Emby just destroyed it. The performance turned out to be crap but I also think is because it was over 2 hours running the refresh guide task and it was killing the whole performance when I was connected with the client and was only about 30% complete with the guide.

So I removed it and now I'm trying out the latest beta version for windows and it seems like the Refresh Guide is moving faster. About 1% per minute which is very slow. I don't remember it taking this long on the Laptop.

Why does it take forever to Refresh the Guide. I'm using 2 xml files for about 500 channels and I chose only 4 days of guide. On the Laptop I'm sure I did choose 7 days and did not take this long.

I'll wait till the guide is populated to test it I guess.

**Edit**

Guide Refresh seems to take about 1 hour. And it seems to run very good once the guide has been refreshed

Edited by saulin

sfatula

If it takes that long to refresh the guide, you can schedule it on the scheduled tasks screen to run in the middle of the night. I don't have a big guide yet, I have 10 channels with 14 days of guide data. It refreshed in 8 seconds. Once I get Silicon Dust Premium TV in December, I'll have a lot more. 

mastrmind11

Takes me 5 mins to refresh 14 days of 60 channels.

Edited by mastrmind11

Guest asrequested

In theory it should be faster.

I installed it on the i5-2500S. I guess it only has a standard HDD not SDD. And it turned out that one of the 4GB of RAM was faulty so I just used one 4GB and a 2GB. It's a small form factor PC so it only has 2 slots. I have a lot of 2GB sticks too, but not 4GB.

Anyways Emby just destroyed it. The performance turned out to be crap but I also think is because it was over 2 hours running the refresh guide task and it was killing the whole performance when I was connected with the client and was only about 30% complete with the guide.

So I removed it and now I'm trying out the latest beta version for windows and it seems like the Refresh Guide is moving faster. About 1% per minute which is very slow. I don't remember it taking this long on the Laptop.

Why does it take forever to Refresh the Guide. I'm using 2 xml files for about 500 channels and I chose only 4 days of guide. On the Laptop I'm sure I did choose 7 days and did not take this long.

I'll wait till the guide is populated to test it I guess.

**Edit**

Guide Refresh seems to take about 1 hour. And it seems to run very good once the guide has been refreshed

Maybe the internet was slow? I have 200+ channels and the guide refresh took 3m 17s for 14 days of data.

josemiel25

Maybe the internet was slow? I have 200+ channels and the guide refresh took 3m 17s for 14 days of data.

75Mbit/s download Internet and no it's always around that speed. Other Adroid Apps like Perfect Player and IPTV Extreme Pro and ProgTV take minutes to process the same guide. I'm not sure why the Emby server takes so long.

I use the guide in .xml.gz format is that islowing it down?

I used it compressed format because the guide file from my provider uncompressed is about 70 megs because it contains guide for many other channels I don't use as well. Then my complimentary guide file uncompressed is about 21 megs.

Maybe my guide files are way bigger than yours?

Last time it ran it says it took 1 Hour and 15 Mins. I will schedule it for 5AM for sure

Guest asrequested

75Mbit/s download Internet and no it's always around that speed. Other Adroid Apps like Perfect Player and IPTV Extreme Pro and ProgTV take minutes to process the same guide. I'm not sure why the Emby server takes so long.

I use the guide in .xml.gz format is that islowing it down?

I used it compressed format because the guide file from my provider uncompressed is about 70 megs because it contains guide for many other channels I don't use as well. Then my complimentary guide file uncompressed is about 21 megs.

Maybe my guide files are way bigger than yours?

Last time it ran it says it took 1 Hour and 15 Mins. I will schedule it for 5AM for sure

That seems like more than it needs to be. I'm not sure about the particular format you're using, but I use schedules direct. 

josemiel25

That seems like more than it needs to be. I'm not sure about the particular format you're using, but I use schedules direct.

Well I found more Ram, actually a lot more. Now I got 2 8GB sticks installed. So it has the same Ram as the laptop and now it takes half the time to process the guide. Took 35 mins this time.

• Like 1