My Passport Wireless Pro support.

theideaofit

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
35 minutes ago, jglazer63 said:

What happened to this project?

We're working as hard as we can to support as many devices as possible. It's something we're interested in for the future. thanks.

jglazer63
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

We're working as hard as we can to support as many devices as possible. It's something we're interested in for the future. thanks.

Cool, thanks.  I just saw it went silent since feb.  Thanks for the update!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
RiaanLouw

Hi everyone

Since I can't find the support or help I need, I was hoping somewhere on this forum I find someone who can give me some ideas, advice or support...

So, I have a 3TB WDMPWP, I think my battery has failed, I've been using the HDD for the past 4+ years now, about 10 days ago I unplugged it for my travels, this was the longest I have not used it, but this morning when I plugged it intomylaptop, it was just completely dead...

So I then plugged it into the charger, now it shows it is charging, but when I power it on by pressing the power button, it flashes and then just dies again...

I did manage twice to get the WiFi running, but only for a few seconds and then everything dies...

So, at this point when I press the power button whilst the HDD is on charge the LED's flash momentarily and then dies, about 2 or 3 seconds later it starts flashing the first LED, after a while all four is on, then I try powering up, then all dies 

With the USB cable, absolutely nothing happens.

I would hate to lose this drive, it is my backup drive and now this...

Does anyone know if this could be battery related, or is it a lost cause? How can I test it to confirm?

Thanks

On 12/23/2020 at 12:54 PM, RiaanLouw said:

Hi everyone

Since I can't find the support or help I need, I was hoping somewhere on this forum I find someone who can give me some ideas, advice or support...

So, I have a 3TB WDMPWP, I think my battery has failed, I've been using the HDD for the past 4+ years now, about 10 days ago I unplugged it for my travels, this was the longest I have not used it, but this morning when I plugged it intomylaptop, it was just completely dead...

So I then plugged it into the charger, now it shows it is charging, but when I power it on by pressing the power button, it flashes and then just dies again...

I did manage twice to get the WiFi running, but only for a few seconds and then everything dies...

So, at this point when I press the power button whilst the HDD is on charge the LED's flash momentarily and then dies, about 2 or 3 seconds later it starts flashing the first LED, after a while all four is on, then I try powering up, then all dies 

With the USB cable, absolutely nothing happens.

I would hate to lose this drive, it is my backup drive and now this...

Does anyone know if this could be battery related, or is it a lost cause? How can I test it to confirm?

Thanks

I don't have experience with the PassPort, but worst case scenario it's possible the NAS is dead but the drive inside is still functional, so you might be able to open it up, take the drive out, and get data off the drive directly, if that's important to you. But again, never tried this myself with that device.

RiaanLouw

Hi Luke

Thanks for the response!

Not sure what the NAS is? 🙈

But what I have managed to do was open it up, all this helped with was to get the serial number which doubles as the WiFi access password...after multiple attempts I eventually managed to get the drive powered by having it plugged into the charger and charging it for about 15+ hours, having the password I was now able to access it remotely through the browser, I managed to see that it still has my data, although I could not access it, it only displays the space used and free space available, so I know this does not mean the data is safe, but it does offer hope...

My theory is thus this, as with many older larger drvies an external supply is needed to power the drive, this with the Passport Pro were substituted with the battery, now with the battery which has failed I believe the circuit was compromised and thus the reason I'm not able to power it with the laptop only, although this does not entirely explain why I can't access the data through the wireless connection...

How do these drives work generally? What would I need should I dismantel the drive and want to connect with a makeshift set up?

Thanks

3 hours ago, RiaanLouw said:

How do these drives work generally? What would I need should I dismantel the drive and want to connect with a makeshift set up?

Thanks

If you can dismantle the unit, then take the hard-drive out of it and buy a SATA-to-USB unit/cable. Then connect the drive to the SATA end of the device and the USB end to your computer. The drive is most likely formatted with either an ext2 or ext4 file-system, which means that you will be able to access its contents if your computer runs Linux. If it runs Windows or MacOS, there MAY be software that allows you to read the contents of a Linux-formatted harddisk, but I am not sure about this.

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, kaledi said:

Any update on future support for the WD My Passport Wirelss Pro?

Hi, does that model support installing apps?

kaledi

Good question. Don't think it does, through the interface at least. It has plex on board if that makes any difference. 

2 minutes ago, kaledi said:

Good question. Don't think it does, through the interface at least. It has plex on board if that makes any difference. 

There are some WD models that come included with Plex but don't support installing additional apps beyond that. I think this might be one of them.

hgpuke

Luke, you may remember that we had a conversation about this model a couple of years ago.

I made an attempt to install Emby on it, but failed after spending several hours trying. So there is a way to get software into it, although that is unofficial. The way in is through ssh. Its a linux-based operating system, so anything should be possible as long as you know what you are doing and am prepared to cross-compile for it on a more full-fledged machine.

Please have a look at the start of this thread, on my first couple of posts. There is all hardware and software related info you would need.

Edited by hgpuke

kaledi

Would it be possible by connecting and installing via ssh (forgive me if I've got this incorrect, I'm not overly familiar with Linux) 

8 minutes ago, kaledi said:

Would it be possible by connecting and installing via ssh (forgive me if I've got this incorrect, I'm not overly familiar with Linux) 

probably, yes, but given the very limited audience for that, it makes it hard for us to allocate resources to it.